Send Topic Print
which wood??? (Read 3942 times)
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

which wood???
01/12/12 at 16:15:06

ok. I am  planning  on making a rack. I have been looking around for Maple, but am not able to get a single block, which means joints. What are the other woods that may sound good? What is available in plenty is teak, padak and sliverwood. Any suggestions?.......not interested in MDF.

Thanks,

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: which wood???
Reply #1 - 01/12/12 at 18:01:48

Though I am sure there are other good sounding woods for racks, I can't think of a wood that would sound like maple it has such a distinctive grain structure and chemistry.

I don't know if they are still up and running with hardwood supply, but Rare Woods, 1574 Millers Gap Hwy Newland, NC. Phone: 828- 733-9782 used to be a good local supplier for hardwoods from Western North Carolina, where Hard Maple is common. It has been 20 years since I used them, but they were a reasonable and reliable operation then.

When looking for their contact info, I came upon this Rare Woods company in Maine. http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/ and their pricelist http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/images/price_lists/wood_price_list_aug11.pdf Lists Hard Maple in various thicknesses.

Good Luck.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/12/12 at 20:14:14

Probably wouldn't be cost-effective to ship to Shreekant in India. . . .

Shree, I have always been fascinated by the use of wood in instruments and I come from a long line of cabinet makers on my mother's side (and one of the best old world trained American pipe-organ builders was my five-great grandfather David Tannenberg) and wood in general fascinates me. I find these pages pretty darned helpful regarding the use of wood in instruments, which I think may parallel their use in an equipment rack:

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com/species--attributes.html
http://www.ergcustomguitars.com/tonewood.asp

Looks as if teak will work a bit like walnut, and I think that may make a nice, warm-sounding rack.

Padauk some don't recommended except for ornamentation or decoration, while others will say it's like maple and mahogany, which are great tonewoods. I guess the jury is out, but it's a beautiful wood and may make a great rack.

I think silver wood is what we call silver oak, and that seems to be a very balanced sounding tonewood, and easy to work with. It might make an excellent rack.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 01/13/12 at 04:11:03

Thanks will, Thanks Lon.
The problem with making a rack is that you get the feeling that it is for keeps Cool and you will not V cap it or do something like that. So its a call one has to take, once and for all. So, the short list is
Silver oak
Teak
Pudak

The point is that it needs to be a single slab and these days most of the wood is cut to beam size. The stands are ready and if I get the wood today, then it should be up and running by the weekend.

shreekant Smiley

ps  Will,

I live in India.....tropical country with lots of trees and wood, so I should get it done.

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print