Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 14:15:32 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects (Read 11595 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects
01/08/12 at 20:12:36

I have two pairs of decent ones, but cannot really tell if they are good or not.  Bought them many years ago so I don't remember what these are. They seem to be working alright in my current system.

The RCA terminal connectors have a black Bat logo on them, and the cable has the code: ZTC 75005.  Anyone knows what these are?

Anyway, I need to learn from your experience with interconnects.  Are there any good sounding and cost-effective that you know of?  Should we get Decware's DSRII?

Honest user opinions are quite welcomed. Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects
Reply #1 - 01/08/12 at 22:02:47

I love the Decware ICs, but also have some of these Audioquest for longer lengths. And they don't quite have he wait time of the DSRs.

Steve has indicated they are building a shielded less expensive RG6/U, but I haven't seen it yet on the website.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/09/12 at 00:03:50

I'll agree with Greg on both counts. I've only one analog interconnect in my main system at the moment, but it's a Decware Silver Reference and I've tried a few other brands and an earlier version or two of the Decware and I can't take it out. The all silver Audioquest Greg linked to is a very good cable, and I have used that but in comparison the Decware is clearer and more open. I've tried TARA Labs and PS Audio interconnects and those are now in a closet. There are two of the Decware cables in my second system, a half-meter to connect my DEC685 to my CSP2 and a meter to connect my CSP2 to my Torii Mk II. Their compatibility with Decware components is superb.

The one drawback I've found is that they do take time to "break in." If you believe such a thing exists. . . break in time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 01/09/12 at 04:03:53

Pale Rider and Lon, thanks.  That link (HCM Audio) seems quite useful. At least while stock lasts. These seem very well put together and the description is quite similar to Decware's.  I suspect Decware's are probably better but I'll start with these Silver Extreme from Audioquest. Later ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/12 at 07:24:35

I like Decware cables too. Also, I have gotten some really good MAC cables on Audiogon auctions very inexpensively. I got some UltraSilver ($329) for about 60. By all appearances and sound, they are made similarly to Decware, but have a slightly more solid and transparent presentation to me. I use them over my Decwares. I just looked at their site http://www.myaudiocables.com/ and it looks like they are using a new auction area. Check this one: www.proaux.com more specifically:
http://www.proaux.com/3-MAC-UltraSilver-ICs,name,3276,auction_id,auction_details...

Could possibly get a real bargain on a very good cable.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/09/12 at 16:52:15

Hey Will, thanks for those links.

I also seem to recall that Steve has mentioned another cable company, with whom he has worked, and on whom he has commented very favorably, and if I recall correctly, he was specifically positive on their power cords. Anyone recall who that was?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 01/09/12 at 16:56:13

That was MAC, or My Audio Cable, the cables that will is recommending. I've used one of their power cables. .. I wasn't too impressed. It was the Digital Sound Pipe. Didn't work for me in audio, was too thin and edgy even months and months later. . . I use it on my bedroom tv. It failed on me at one point, but MAC repaired it for free.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 01/09/12 at 18:24:35

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.  

I think I'm sticking with Audioquest Super Silver interconnects for now.  Best price for the specs (except for that MAC auction, which may take forever to win, and I need to place my order with the importer this week), and is $41.55 less expensive than Decware's (0.5 Mtrs).

Checked the power cords at MAC, too expensive for me.  Still looking for a better than standard, affordable one, over Volex or even Yellow Fish.

I guess you have all read those articles out there by credited people, saying all this 'cable sound' stuff is subjective and without scientific base.  Who knows?  If you guys can tell the difference, then I guess there must be one.

Same with the cable 'breaking-in' concept.  I guess the differences in sound over time must be related to the insulation materials involved.  For example, the bee wax is a natural, micro-porous, light density organic material, filled with air (great insulator).  I would expect changes there and not in the metal conductors, for example.

Anyway, I found out my current interconnects have Vampire (Black Bat Logo) RCA terminals, which are supposed to be good.  I don't know anything about the cables themselves.  

Thanks, later ...

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/09/12 at 18:34:45

Fireblade, I now there are people who can hear things I cannot. And I know there are phenomena for which we often have no explanation. I am an objectivist at heart, but as wise man once said: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Just because we cannot prove or disprove something, does not mean that it is or isn't happening.

I used to be in that "bits is bits" camp. But a simple read of why CDs are not truly digital will teach one to be circumspect about such conclusions.

If humans can repeatedly, and reliably discern something that a machine cannot, that doesn't mean it isn't happening [though it could mean that], but it definitely means we might not know how or why. So, over time, I have come to the conclusion that quality power cords and ICs appear to contribute to the holographic sound we are trying to achieve with this equipment. Can I double-blind pick the same cables out every time? Nope. But I can discern, as my wife did just the other day: "wow, it's like an empty stage, and suddenly there is music in all the right places."

I can tell when that is happening, and my odds of getting it seem to increase with the improvements in which I have invested. Now, for me, it probably means that a $179 power cord is arguably worthwhile, while a $795 power cord might not be.

I am a big fan of chaos theory, which I succinctly summarize with a small sign on my desk that says: "Everything matters." Some of it may matter more than others, but it all contributes to the outcome.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 01/09/12 at 19:07:09

Absolutely, and well put, Pale Rider.  I'm eclectic myself, and like I meant earlier, if people can tell the difference, something's going on, even if we don't have an explanation, yet.

I also agree with your implied diminishing returns appraisal.  There seems to be a marketplace threshold at around $150.00, for all kinds of interconnect and speaker cables, after which clear benefits should be less tangible.

In my view, power cords do not belong to this level of sensitivity, though.  If the power source is clean enough, a good conductor, with good insulation and proper assembly of quality materials should do fine for the money. That's just my opinion.

BTW, I misnamed the IRON LUNG JELLYFISH POWER CORDS earlier by calling them Yellow Fish power cords ...   I guess it remainded me of my sea fishing adventures back in time ...  Sorry!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/09/12 at 19:33:34

Greg, Can you recall the MAC thing Steve spoke of. I looked around and could not find it, but if memory serves I believe he was working with MAC on Decware power cords early on? Maybe still is??? Hmmmm. Can't say for sure.

Anyway, the Ultra Silver is a great IC. I got onto them quite a while ago since I needed more ICs, wanted more options, and they were very inexpensive at auction. If you like the Decware IC, I would be surprised if you did not like the UltraSilver. I just did a direct comparison, and they are very similar in look, feel and sound though the MAC have Neutric RCAs and my Decwares have simple silver RCAs. With the Tranquility DAC, I would say the MAC sounds like the Decwre IC, but with everything a little more smooth, solid and defined top to bottom, including body and a touch more warmth without detail masking. Also better black.

Fireblade, MAC makes a lot of different cord configurations for each use and had I not gotten onto their auctions, I may not have any of them either. I have a pair of Braided Silver ICs that are the only thing I consistently like between the ZDAC and ZSTAGE to date. They sound very accurate and defined, no wishy washiness, which for me completed the synergistic thing between these components in my setup. But for a primary interconnect The MAC Ultra Silver has brilliant definition, but also a very convincing, "not-cable" feel. To me it does not have a sound...but I might call it defined, nuanced, smooth and musical. Nothing sticks out.

I have a MAC HC power cord, and it gets out of the way pretty well, but I would not call it a favorite. It works really well in my modded Oppo though and brought out noted improvements over the stock and over a VH-Audio cable I DIYd. More flow, definition and palpability. A no Brainer for the 50 bucks at auction. And the VH cable sounds great in the ZSTAGE.

Have you checked out the Shunyata cords. Their least expensive Venom 3 has gotten good press and it has temped me to try it, but I have not. May be worth looking at if you get to wanting to dip your toe in the power cord waters. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-9670-shunyata-venom-3-power-cable.aspx

It always interests me the vocal dudes who so adamantly say a cable is a cable or whatever is a whatever. There is no clear explanation for this to me, but I guess it has to be there system, room, or bodies somehow truncating the sound. If you can't hear the difference, then there is no need to go into it, but if you can, I have found that every cable I have notably improves the stock stuff, and a variety of decent cables is quite useful for fine-tuning component synergy.

I agree entirely with Greg's thoughts on this. Science is only trying to figure out reality anyway, but always through the filters of the scientist doing the work (which very rarely comes without personal bias and "baggage") and from within the limitations of the time, effort and technology. Actually, I seem to hear everything...which is sometimes a bit of a curse. But I love the quest for experiential reality. As with power cords, ICs and tube amps, reality is a vast matrix of unified complexity, and if science could read it in its most minute detail, and with the unification factors of the billions of details that make music, it could describe what we hear. But with good gear and a good room, the simple experience gives us all the wonders of all this input.

I wonder, why bother with the science unless it is truly and purely used in a quest for a better and healthier relationship to life. This is why I don't get the naysayers who have for some reason denied what they hear, or can't hear what others can hear.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/09/12 at 20:08:17

will, look here for the My Audio Cable mention:

https://www.decware.com/paper70.htm

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/09/12 at 20:20:16

Fireblade, sorry we crossed on our responses, so I responded before your last post.

Thanks Lon. That was where we read that Steve was working with MAC. I wonder if my MAC HC power cord is similar to the Decware one. They say it is 10 gauge plated copper. No matter, it works for my use and I don't have a Decware cable to compare.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/09/12 at 20:33:27

Good info. One thing I like about the MAC power cord is they make a 5-footer. That is almost exactly what I need for my Oppo and my PerfectWave DAC, both of which sit at the top of my ZRACKS, while my PowerPlants sit at the bottom.

Shunyata's Venom is 1.5 meter, almost the same. Interestingly, they make an extension cord as well.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/09/12 at 21:02:44

I recall that MAC HC cable taking a long time to burnin. I even put it on the refrigerator for a week or so and then on my tower computer with and IEC adapter, and still......I wish these guys would cook them! If you get a Shunyata, pleas let us know your impressions!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 01/09/12 at 21:16:08

I think they are very similar will. The "Digital Pipe" one that I have is very similar looking. . . but sounds significantly different than the Decware ones on audio sources, and not in a good way. I tried it for months on cd players and Blu-ray players and finally settled on it on my bedroom TV. It does seem to make a positive difference on the image, and I don't use the TV's speakers much at all.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/09/12 at 21:27:23

Interesting. The Digital Pipe construction looks like it is #12 pure copper wire, but with "Plated pure copper mesh shielding - provides protection, looks & drains RF/EMI from your equipment."

With the better picture, it sounds like they met their objective for your TV anyway.

I think it is so interesting how most small companies come up with one to a few solutions they think really gets it, and most are pretty different in the subtle details of sound.

Then there is MAC who seems to cover the waterfront with materials and methodology making a lot of different sounding cables.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 01/09/12 at 21:43:13

Yes, it helped that TV image, but no more so than less expensive cables have, so I really wouldn't recommend it for TV use. Smiley

I think the Decware cables are excellent. I've also found that the top of the line PS Audio cables are even better, for my ears and tastes in my system, but they're ridiculously expensive. I've decided I am willing to pay the price for them if I can find them half price or less, and with patience and some seeking out I have. I recognize that this is possibly silly or extreme, but I really value the effect these have on the sound of my components. Which is not always a good thing as you know. This led me to improving my source as suddenly every source I had on hand was revealing its shortcomings and made me realize that the amazing Decware amp and speakers could do even more with a better source.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/09/12 at 22:06:32

I may order a Shunyata Venom just to try it out, and the price is reasonable.

I noticed that the HCM site also has the AudioQuest GBR for speaker cables, and they look like a bargain. I am very happy with my ZenStyx, but in order to reach the back ERRs, I had to order a 20-foot pair, and those were just barely long enough. I got those at a discount, because I ordered them at the same time as one of my ERR pairs. But right now, those 20-foot ZenStyx would set me back a cool grand. While a 20-foot pair of the AQ GBR are $160 and a 30-foot pair are $210. I actually plan to buy a set, to have as backup in case anything happens to my Styx, but given how they are made........I doubt that will happen.

I have to echo something Lon said, and I say this as someone who picked up his PS Audio Statement power cords from him. Things like the power cords, or the Power Plants, or the in-wall receptacle replacements really do make a difference. And it is often expressed in the form of negative revelation about another component. I have seen many theories about why the last few feet of power matters, e.g., here. And Paul McGowan of PS Audio writes a lot on this topic, but getting to anything like "truth" here may well be nigh impossible. At least, for now. For me, it makes a difference.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 01/10/12 at 01:35:36

Lots of new information, thanks guys!

Just a relevant parenthesis: Have you guys seen this at all (it's just a subjective headphone sound comparison buy 1 guy over 22 power cords, of which I think only 2 or 3 are low priced.  Conclusion rankings are interesting.

Conclusion
Still with me?  To wrap this up, it’s time for me to rank order all of the cables under review. This rank ordering reflects performance in my system, based on my own biases and needs. It reflects performance on those components on which each cable fared best. It is not a straight listing of cables in order of the “Overall performance” rating I gave within the individual reviews. Those ratings are dependent on cost/value, flexibility and other factors, the final rank order is based on pure *sound* alone, all other factors be damned.

1. (Tie) Virtual Dynamics Nite II (on my source), Michael Wolff Bohica (on my headphone amp)
2.Black Sand Violet with stock ends.
3. Black Sand Silver
4. Split decision between the TG 688 (for my source), and the Wolff Source cord (for my headamp)
5. Black Sand Violet "Deluxe" (with Oyaide 046 ends)
6.Virtual Dynamics Reference (since replaced/superseded by the David)
7.(Tie) KAS Audio Primus (on my headamp) and Oyaide Tunami (on my source)
8.VH Audio Flavor 1 and Flavor 2
9.Custom Power Cord Company Model 14 Series 2
10.Tek Line Eclipse
11.Iron Lung Jellyfish / Volex 1760412. Straight Wire Blue Thunder
13.Audio Metallurgy Gold Alloy 9
14.Analysis Plus Oval 10
15.Absolute Power Cord
16.Zu Cable BoK
17.PS Audio XStream Plus

Here's the link to the main review (just skim over, as this is a long piece):

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-81533.html

I may even consider the Jellyfish power cord now, given the soundstage and dynamics preference over tone, in my listenings.

I also read about Decware's own power cords been manufactured by MAC, and sharing same design philosophies with Steve.

The most difficult thing in this hobby is the unavoidable, expensive and never-ending trial-and-error process required just to choose the right element in the sound chain.  Worse still, that nth element change may disqualify the n-1th previously agreed upon, as there are always interactions and synergies involved.

Because the number of combinations possible are quite large, folks need to rely on some science and logic, and models and such, just to be able to make some sense out of this mess and limit the number of possible, combined alternatives to try (in this lifetime).

Patience, real savings and a lot of time in your hands are the only allies on the audiophile's side to enjoy, rather than suffer, this self-inflicted punishment.  But I guess the esporadic, randomly appearing sound synergies rewards are worth it.  The clue must be to make this journey as fun and at the same time as systematic as possible, to be able to achieve a really convergent path.

And we haven't even talked about tube rolling yet .. He He!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 01/10/12 at 02:30:52

The Volex came out solidly in the middle. Not bad for basically a ten buck cord.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #21 - 01/10/12 at 02:56:51

Absolutely, but if you read the reviewer's description and actually look at the individual scores for the sound-related criteria, the Jellyfish comes ahead, in my view.  Both are equivalent decent, better-than-stock power cables, indeed.  Only with different tradeoffs.  So, you were right when you made your point originally on the Volex.  Cheers ...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 01/10/12 at 05:52:10

I can't help noticing the cable review is from 2006, a while ago in audio development.

I too figure you rule out a lot of issues with good advice. The trick is to get in with those you trust the ears of. This is part of what I like about Decware, DbAudiolLabs, Pi Audio, HerbiesAudioLab and the like....they are all made up of seasoned audio heads on deep quests themselves for the real sound on a reality budget, and have fleshed out reasonably priced quality. Well....relatively, for the world class sound we can get.

I have a bunch of power cables, all relatively reasonable, several DIY. They all have good quality parts and designs, and though I like certain things about each, I can say that by starting off with a certain level of quality, they all work together. None hurt anything else.

I like to do the research too. A fun part of the quest. And I find that some people's evaluations sound real to me, and some less so, but in this time with net shopping and the option to return a lot of stuff if it does not suit me, I feel pretty good buying quality, value stuff that sounds good from reviews, knowing I have an out if it doesn't work out. It always seems to work though with good research.

Science is of use, but all the people I tend to buy from use the science only as a basis to good sound and the gear is finally refined and finalized by listening. Lots of trial and error based on listening. I think this is where the reality sound comes from....what makes us feel right with the sound.  I am glad they work this way because my sound is eerily real thanks to them.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #23 - 01/10/12 at 13:35:04

That's exactly right, Will, science and logic are helpful (necessary) to reduce the possibilities to a select number of promising, manageable alternatives.  From there, its a matter of testing/comparing and fine-tuning. That's what experts we trust are supposed to do.

I wish we could find more of the A:B Blind testing, instead of somewone's opinions though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 01/10/12 at 13:51:18

Interesting to note that if you look at the entire thread after that cable review post you'll see others with conflicting experience with the same cables, skepticism that there's any science behind power cables, arguments about expectations of power cord use, etc. All over the map. Interesting how varied listeners are in this arena.

I found his impressions of the PS Audio xStream Plus cord to be different than the impressions I had of the one that I owned. I think our source material, systems, and tastes can be so different that these sort of cable shootouts are entertaining reading, but very hard to use as a tool for evaluating how cords will perform in your own system, more's the pity.

Here's an easier to read version of the thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=81533

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #25 - 01/10/12 at 14:02:50

Lon, that link is missing 4 of the original participants, listing only until No. 16.  Among the missing (Nos. 17, 18 19 & 20) are a couple of top performers.  The descriptions missing will give you the reviewer's reasons for his grading, so I think that missing material is important.

In any case, that's just a guy's opinion.  More 'Blind Testing' please!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 01/10/12 at 14:10:33

It's all there in the thread. It's the same thread as you linked to, just different format (archived vs. active).

One important qualifier for this review is he's using a cord to a headphone amp mostly. A high current amp for speakers may perform very differently.

will's post about the age of the thread is also worth noting. PS Audio's entire cable line is radically different now than it was before, all the way down the line from metal used (the POCC they use now is really refined metal!) to shielding, wire size and shape and configuration. Probably true of the offerings of other of the reviewed cables as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 01/10/12 at 15:22:34

will, I just won a pair of MAC Ultra Silver + on that auction site (luckily my only competition Greg dropped out!) Smiley and I can compare these to the Decware when received. Will be interesting.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #28 - 01/10/12 at 15:49:57

Apparently they archived the article incomplete.  Even the title says 15 power cords (instead of 22), and somewhere else talks about 16.  Still, four participants are missing in this archive copy (check it out), although the conclusions are the same.  

Congrats on the MCA auction!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/10/12 at 15:59:51

Lon wrote:
Quote:
will, I just won a pair of MAC Ultra Silver + on that auction site (luckily my only competition Greg dropped out!)  and I can compare these to the Decware when received. Will be interesting.

Congrats Lon! Glad you picked those up. Let us know how they sound.  Because I needed another power cord or two—well, sort of, "need" being an interesting and relative term—I picked up the MAC 5-foot HC power cord. I also ordered the Shunyata Venom to have as a backup, while I wait to discover one or two of those PerfectWave AC10/12 deals that Lon found.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 01/10/12 at 16:10:30

Great Lon. I hope they give you the refinement over the Decware I got! As usual, they take time. I look forward to your impression of them!

Greg,

I seem to recall that HC being a looooong burnin. Have you got a IEC adapter? Awesome tool for a less painful burn in. Let the refrigerator or something do the hard part!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 01/10/12 at 16:11:20

I don't know FB, the title of both threads say "16" when I open them and I'm not going to waste time comparing them but there seems no difference to me, and it certainly doesn't change my impression or opinion of this "shoot out."

Anyway, it's easy to get a better power cord than stock, and there are many choices to fit many budgets. Then there's the whole issue of whether a power cord offers the same sonics when used in tandem with or without a power conditioner or isolation transformer etc., when using with a source or amplifier or different sizes and topologies of amplifiers, etc. A mine-field best evaluated in person.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/10/12 at 16:20:46

I agree, power and all the little EMI, RFI grunge is a huge area of importance! What comes in effects everything!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/10/12 at 18:52:24

Will wrote:
Quote:
Great Lon. I hope they give you the refinement over the Decware I got! As usual, they take time. I look forward to your impression of them!

Greg,

I seem to recall that HC being a looooong burnin. Have you got a IEC adapter? Awesome tool for a less painful burn in. Let the refrigerator or something do the hard part!

Don't know that I do Will. I think I do, but I am not positive. Will check, and if not, will rectify.  Thanks for the suggestion.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 01/27/12 at 16:10:14

Well, my MAC "UltraSilver" interconnects arrived.

Very well-made items, with impressive connectors. So far I'm impressed, though they haven't embarrassed the Decware Silver Reference yet, but I know that it's unfair to expect them to be "all they can be" yet.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/27/12 at 16:37:20

Lon, I don't expect they will embarrass the excellent Decware ICs, but I hope the Ultra Silver will give you the added refinement they gave me. I can't recall the breakin for those, but it was a while. Maybe a month or so. Lately, I have been running new cables and caps in my workshop system 24/7 changing the CD at least daily for a week or 10 days. Don't you wish wire makers would burn them in? Actually, Reality cable does!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 01/27/12 at 16:59:29

Oh yes, I don't really expect them to embarrass the Decware, just funnin'. They've a different "view". . . we'll see how they turn out in a month. Enjoying the difference and they're a quality product.

We'd definitely not want to pay the manufacturers in general for burning in the wire! Would probably cost a LOT! Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 01/28/12 at 14:54:23

Lon announced:
Quote:
Well, my MAC "UltraSilver" interconnects arrived.

Very well-made items, with impressive connectors. So far I'm impressed, though they haven't embarrassed the Decware Silver Reference yet, but I know that it's unfair to expect them to be "all they can be" yet.

Looking forward to your assessments Lon. The first pair I bought, used on AudiogoN, is quite nice. I agree they seem well made.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 01/28/12 at 18:42:31

So far I'm definitely impressed, the tonal balance is nice and there's a tad more body to the sound that is nice to have. I expect them to go through a few shifts for a few weeks.

For 71 dollars total, a real bargain.

My listening impressions are a bit skewed as I experimented with different footers under my speakers. A month or so ago I went from using nothing under them (just sitting on the carpet--I still haven't received stock spikes or grilles) to using the Herbie's Audio Lab "Little Fat Gliders." Reading about Barry Diament's isolation theories I tried using the clear acrylic balls for Herbie's Audio Lab "IsoCups" sitting inside 2" automotive freeze plugs, to sort of make a version of Diament's "Hip Joints." Though a pain to set up, this has been a fun experiment. The midrange has been freed of some congestion I didn't know that I had and overall the dynamics have been a bit more showcased as well. Luckily the speaker height hasn't been raised too high, that makes a big difference to me in my room and with my ears.

IN a week or so I'll put the Decware Silver Reference ICs back in and compare the sound to the MAC ICs.

If these continue to impress me I may consider one of the top of the line MAC ICs in time. I only have one analog IC in my system. . . .

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 01/28/12 at 19:25:27

It has been a while, but I think what happened with mine is that they just kept getting better at all of what they do. I don't recall ups and downs...just steady improvements.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 01/28/12 at 19:28:02

Thanks will.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 01/28/12 at 19:47:14

Another thought on MAC.

My braided silver IC from MAC is a very nice cable too, but very different. I doubt you would like it Lon. Very open and articulate. Excellent in my case for the ZDAC/ZSTAGE connection, but this got me thinking.

The MAC Digital Pipe power cord you did not like the sound of, and the MAC HC power cord I thought was fine, and possibly similar to the Decware cable. They apparently play around a lot with different objectives and solutions. Poses the question: would both their high end ICs suit us, or would one have a preferable flavor over the other??? The latter seems likely.

That is if one decided to go there!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 01/28/12 at 20:49:50

That's definitely a good question. If I decided to try one I'd contact Steve Halick and seek his advice. I've been reading reviews on the 'net and have some ideas what questions to ask and I think he would be helpful.

Makes sense that a very open and articulate cable would work well with th ZDAC. In my system that DAC was on the considerably warm and rich side and such a cable would be a nice balance.

It's likely quite a ways down the line but seems something worth exploring as a vital link that could be addressed.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 01/29/12 at 01:32:17

Quote:
It's likely quite a ways down the line but seems something worth exploring as a vital link that could be addressed.

Yes, interesting idea to be sure. I will be interested to follow this track if it happens.

I mentioned the MAC auctions and the UltraSilver IC earlier since the topic was "cost-effective" ICs and in that context the MAC auctions are easy. Relative to be sure though as we all know. What is cost effective?

Now that we are talking of climbing the MAC ladder, I would be remiss not to mention Reality Cables ... realitycables.com

At 250, a different sort of bargain, but a bargain none-the-less. Also, partially burned in and with a return possibility! I got onto these from Eric Hider, the Tranquility DAC guy who I really trust the ears and mind of. As I understand it, he was part of a group of serious audio heads who worked with the Reality guys to figure out the most "not there" cable. They would send out ICs, get comments, implement refinements, and out they would go again. And it seems they did this for a long time before arriving at just the right wire, twists, RCAs etc.

Well, I use these as my main ICs Tranquility to Torii, and they are amazing. I just did some direct comparisons to the MAC UltraSliver, and both have nice qualities, but I would say the Reality does everything more transparently...more body, depth, dynamics, micro dynamics, micro detail, texture...

I had one pair in each Torii input, left the volume the same for each test tune, and switched cables on the Tranquility. The Reality actually sounded louder they were so much less restricted.

Not that the MACs didn't sound great, and could be a valid choice, but by comparison, to me the Reality is another level of pure sound flow.

Wink

Of course, my system, source etc.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 01/29/12 at 03:15:27

Definitely worth looking into, thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 01/29/12 at 15:51:40

Actually, I found it interesting the comment about the perceived loudness of the Reality cable, as I had the impression of perceived more quietness when now using the MAC Ulatrasilver when switching from the Decware cable. That said, the Ultrasilver sounds very good to me.

I looked at the Reality site and there's very little real information (which is generally a turn-off) and an aura of mystery seems to surround the structure and materials of the cable. But reading reviews they're highly-regarded and I am interested. If I were to buy one, it would make sense for me to buy ones with XLR to RCA and thus I could utilize the balanced out on the PWD to feed the other input on the Torii, and cable comparisons to cables with RCA connectors on both ends would be very easy, I could just toggle between inputs. I don't envision using the second Torii input for any other purpose, and I could always re-purpose it if needed. Thanks for the website suggestion.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 01/29/12 at 18:47:19

Yes the proprietary info stuff can be off putting. But I guess it is understandable. After loads of research, when you arrive at something amazing and want to benefit from you efforts, while still having the stuff be inexpensive....well.... Even MAC, or the big dogs rarely say the specific wire, twists, solder etc they chose...They just don't tell us they are not telling us!

And the basic story is there. Lots of experimentation and listening. Best copper they could find for sound, vampire, best assembly/construction they could find for music, all cryo'd, all burnt in, 20 day return. To me the 20 days is a clincher. If they stand behind their stuff without restrictions, this is a very good sign.

By the way, it sounds like standard IC lengths are returnable straight up so presumably the balanced to RCA are?

I guess part of it is that the little guys are audio heads themselves on a budget, and are trying to make really good stuff inexpensively. Then they may not be so focused on marketing tools and don't want to raise the price by hiring marketers to do it just right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 01/29/12 at 18:57:17

Oh I know, it's not that unusual and it's understandable due to their business model. I just like to see more information when I am making these sort of searches.

I've gotten so used to the "sound of silver" in the last years that buying copper ICs seems odd. Wink I'm nowhere near ready to buy a pair but it's fun dot do the research and think about.

Greg, yeah XLO . . . very good reputation too. I'm thinking it's fun to try out these "maverick" independent guys though. and as we know the magic can definitely happen in their midst!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 01/30/12 at 06:35:31

I am always happy to check out someone with a value approach, so I may try the Reality at some point. "Proprietary" this and "secret" that can contribute to suspicion, but it's all in the sound either way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 02/02/12 at 22:13:13

You're right Greg, it's all in the sound. I did end up ordering an XLR to RCA cable from Reality Cables.

I swapped out the MAC and the Decware cables today for a few hours. I like both these cables, a lot. I think the Decware is just a hair more dynamic (at least at this point in the MAC's state of being) and the sound stage is just a hair wider and larger. But the tonal balance is a hair "better" (more to my liking) with the MAC cables at the moment. Just a bit "mellower", perhaps "refined" as you've expressed will. An interesting comparison.

Also very interesting is the "footer" set-up I've had for the ERRs for some days now. The freeze-plug / acrylic ball setup is a minor pain to utilize, and when you do finally get it setup you sure don't want to try another speaker position Smiley but I've really enjoyed the effect that the new configuration has on the sound. Hard to explain, but the sound is a bit more free of the speaker confines and the sound breathes a bit more: a bit more dynamic, a bit more open, a bit more vibrant. This was easy to hear with either interconnect. I guess in time I'll see if I can find an even better metal piece to use than the freeze plugs (perhaps a bit longer and a bit more shallow, but not any taller) and try that out.

And in about two weeks I should have the Reality Cable interconnect to try out. Some good fun ahead, some great times this last week.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print