Send Topic Print
Cable cooker (Read 6648 times)
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Cable cooker
12/27/11 at 04:04:12

Thinking of  getting a Frybaby to handle the burn in process, which is pain if you play around with cables. Any ideas??

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: Cable cooker
Reply #1 - 12/27/11 at 05:23:18

There was a time when I would have jumped on something like this.  I would have bought it and used it on a couple of cables and I would have sworn I heard a great difference when in reality I would have heard nothing.  I have ears of tin.  I have come to the conclusion that I can't tell the difference between this cable or that cable so I am relatively safe from something like this now.

I do like to replace the power cords.  Why?  I am not sure really but mostly because I think something that cost me money should be powered by something that cost money, too, and not something  that was an after thought.  However, I don't go overboard on what I get.  

If you can hear it, and you have the scratch, do it.  I haven't found too many reviews but the product doesn't seem to be over the top on price.

It would be nice to hear subtle differences like some do...

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/11 at 14:07:54

Matchstikman, if there is anything I hae learned about this hobby, it is that I never stop learning. I, too, have tin ears, and now after decades of open-air motoring, loud music, and a significant case of tinnitus, I know my ears are not what they used to be. But I think I enjoy my music more because I hae learned to listen better. Learning to listen and train the brain has made a big difference for me. When I was younger, with better ears, I discerned amplifier differences much less effectively. Now, I can swap power cables, ICs, ad of course tubes and hear quite the difference. Heck, I now have eight different copies of Blues Breakers just to hear the differences.

Now, I doubt I will run out and buy a FryBaby, just because I have other places to spend $249, but one testimonial's reference to Grover Huffman cables did catch my eye. Grover knows how to build cables, and if this thing can actually improve cable burn-in significantly on something that well-made, it might be worth it. And I did see a favorable reference to it in a 6 Moons review of a different piece of equipment.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/06/12 at 04:32:43

Well...... I got the Frybaby and have burnt in a set ( IC,SC, DC and PC). I thought my cables were well burnt in and settled since  I had used them for quite a while. I was in for a surprise.
Results are quite impressive!!! It is the best buy for me after my 84C. It has done wonders to my system and all for just 250 bucks. No other tweak comes anywhere near it.

Match... you will hear the difference

Lon... During the process, I was wondering if you have a cooker with you. If not, I suggest you try one. It is really worth it and does a lot of good things.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/06/12 at 12:07:10

Shreekant, thanks for the suggestion. My plan was that this last interconnect (a Reality Cables, on the way to me, mostly burned in on a cable cooker) will be my last cable purchase for some time. I just need one IC in my main system, as my three sources feed my Preamp/DAC via digital cabling. I've spent a fortune on power cords, hopefully I don't need more. I don't think I need a Frybaby in the near future.

I sort of enjoy "burn-in" if that makes sense. I see it as a sort of "ear-training" and the sense of discovery is fun.

Glad that this works so well for you!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/06/12 at 19:40:54

Thanks Shreekant. I looked at the Frybaby, and am under the impression that it was for ICs only, as indicated here. If it's that versatile, it might be worth it.They do have products for power cords as well, and a nice rack mount unit that looks like it could be very handy for dealers.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print