Send Topic Print
FS: Torii MK 3 (Read 9526 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

FS: Torii MK 3
12/23/11 at 07:20:59

I will post with Audiogon some time next week.....I wanted to give folks here an opportunity first.

I have the III with the bass management pots and walnut base. Has JJ 6CA7 34's. Purchased August 16th 2011 and arrived November 18th 2011. I have had some time off over the last 35 days to burn it in sufficiently and compare to my Select. I love the Torii for its majesty, power and bass. However, I can't justify having it just sit if I find myself listening to my Select 80 or so percent of the time.

I would like $2400 firm + buyer pays paypal, shipping and insurance. No International.

I paid $2495. + 57. shipping = $2552.

You can contact me at: zen_select@msn.com

Thanks & Merry Christmas!   Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: FS: Torii MK 3
Reply #1 - 12/23/11 at 13:29:04

Stone, that is quite the interesting outcome. So, you prefer the Select over the Torii? SET magic, hm?

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/23/11 at 13:37:48

What?

I can see that actually, the Select is really hard to beat, and if you don't need the power. . . .

Someone will be able to avoid waiting months by buying yours. I'm envious of the bass knobs. . . Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 12/23/11 at 17:14:31

Hi Lon, yes, the SET Magic trumps the power. I have found my Muse in two distinct systems and it is ironic to me.

Reference System:
Sony as Transport>Illuminati D-60>Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro>Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference i2s>Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 w/remote wand>Kimber Select 1030>Decware Zen Select Integrated Amp>Kimber Select 3033> Polk SDA 1 -or- Polk LS90/ 2 ch Stereo
(Adcom AC Enhancer, XLO Pro Power Cord to Zen Select & Herbie's Halo's on SV83 output tubes)  //  I enjoy the orignal SV83 the most/and have a good stock of them.
I sit/ears 55 inches away from the Polk SDA 1 in near field with no toe in. I sit/ears 60 inches away, when using the LS90 speakers with slight toe in. System is configured on concrete carpeted floor.

I enjoyed my time with the Torii. However, as you mentioned, the Magic of the Select with these conventional Speakers at 68 to 82db SPL is just bliss. Not every conventional speaker can be used as you know. I know you had success with your floor standing Bose Speakers for quite some time. I have enjoyed that same synergy with my Polk LS 90's and now with the SDA 1's. Because of the success with the LS90's and now the SDA 1's, I never wanted to change that magic with more efficient speakers. Failure's with conventional speakers have been: Paradigm v4 Monitor 7, Parker Crusader, Polk Monitor 12 Series II, Polk RTiA1, Magnapan 1.1's & Polk S Series..... . None of these at my wheel house listening level, SPL mentioned, have had the magic. So, these two pair I have.....I can't explain....other than a simpler crossover. All of these Speakers do have 90db @ 1watt/1meter in common too (except the Magnepans). I brought/bought the Polk SDA 1's on a whim and could not believe they worked. I use them in 2 ch stereo only....no SDA function needed or wanted with using the Select.

Now my 2nd Muse/2nd System takes that turn to the grandiose. This system, I know can't do what the Select system can do in Magic. However, audio is compromises and even though I only listen to 1 out of four discs (Real Jazz & Contemporary Jazz)....I need that one out of four discs on this system:
Denon DCM290 Transport>Stereovox XV2 Digital Cable>DacMagic>Kimber Silver Streak Interconnect >Rotel RA-1062>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable>Polk SDA SRS 1.2/use SDA always>Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to Rotel

I am going to use the Rotel as a preamp with Kimber Hero Interconnect to:  http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/332077
and review: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm

Eventually, I will add a Wyred for Sound DAC 2, to drive the ST 500 directly. I do enjoy driving the Select directly with my AA Dac 3.0.

Anyway, these are my two muse's. The Polk SDA SRS 1.2's driven at 375 watts per channel in to 6ohm load of the 1.2's can do the grandiose (currently running the Rotel Integrated). However, this 2nd System can't do what the Decware Zen Select (SE84CS) Reference System can do with the lit from within SET Magic. I have also A-B-A'd other cables to beat my Kimber Select 1030 and Kimber Select 3033 with the Select and the Kimber's will never leave the system.

Cheers, Merry Christmas.......Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/23/11 at 18:27:40

Merry Christmas Stone! It makes sense to divide and conquer as you do with two systems for two styles of listening. Good thinking, and you're happy and that's what counts. I agree that the simple crossover may be what makes a speaker work really well with the Select.

I'm sure your Torii will find a good home. . . that waiting time for a new one may get shorter but it's LONG!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 12/23/11 at 18:48:45

Yes Lon, the waiting time for a 3 is still long. I should be able to make someone happy next week I hope. I should have it on the gon' by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I would keep it if it could drive my grossly current hogging Polk SDA SRS 1.2's. But make no mistake, any newbe stumbling in to this thread..... . It will drive anything else pretty much not crazy power hungry with more musicality than Solid State and with weight.

Merry Christmas!  Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 12/26/11 at 23:04:47

I am not selling this Amp!  Hell, I am thinking about ordering Steve's new Horn Speaker to mate with it.

Why the change? Well, hit the 300 hr mark with this Amp and you will know. Sorry to the guy that wanted to buy it before I even posted to Audiogon............I can't part with it.....no hype and no BS.

Will I upgrade my SDA SRS Polk 1.2's and drive them with a high current power amplifier = yes. However, will it have to stand up to my Zen Select & Torii MK 3 for utter musicality......you bet it will have to pass the muster or just be listened to a whole lot less.....read: HT status.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/26/11 at 23:12:57

Good move Tone. These ARE hard to turn your back on!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 12/28/11 at 00:37:12

You've got that right Lon and Pale Rider/I know you love this Amp with your awesome set up too. I don't know what I was thinking? It is like getting your best girl you ever had back in the 11th hour before it is to late because I'm an idiot or something. Listening bliss is happening as I type.

I had to turn down Daniel today whom was to buy it ASAP. He saw it here because I did not post it anywhere else yet. (I had not committed yet-we were still negotiating price).

Cheers, Stone of Tone  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 12/28/11 at 00:57:54

The soundstage has just opened up and bloomed and the 800 pound gorilla that was sitting on it was told to get to F out and let the music commence with authority! Man I love music!

Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #10 - 12/29/11 at 09:50:20

Hahahaha....that's great news Stone!   I am at about 100 hours of burn in so good to know that it will only keep getting better.  I do have to say that I do love the speed and transparency so far, and the bass is fast and tight also.     What tube compliment are you using now btw?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 12/31/11 at 02:43:56

Yes, the speed and no grain, providing that musical rightness where you don't want to leave your chair or the room. I am using the tubes that came with for now: JJ 6CA7, 0A3's, 6N1P-EV, 5U4G & the Raytheon little regulator (I like to call it). You using the same ones right now?

Fidelity is everything. My other system is an SPL pissing match system that I need to partake in from time to time (well not way loud...I keep track/under control with my SPL meter). However, it does not match the fidelity of the Torii 3 and certainly not my SE84CS (Zen Select).

I love the Treble and Bass pots too.....without obsessing on them.  Enjoy....Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #12 - 01/02/12 at 02:01:20

Hi Stone,
    I am currently at about 200 hours and I am using a Quad of Black Treasures along with alternating two different rectifiers.  One is a Japanese Mullard And the other is National 5u4g's.  Both of these are huge upgrades over the stock rectifier (you should just toss the Chinese rectifier IMO).  I do want to now break in the JJ's that came stock to compare to the Black Treasures.   I do not think that you want to sell this amp until you change out the rectifiers, the 5u4g  and the 6N1P and break them all in!  
Happy New Year and Happy Listening,
Morgan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 01/02/12 at 06:23:34

Happy New Year Morgan. I would have National's on the way right now but, Tube Depot is out of stock. Lon suggested a cryoed 6N1P too that I book marked.
Thanks for the input and I can't believe I was going to sell this Amp. Any other Rectifier suggestions? I should do a search for what others are using as well. The Torii is my Porche and I'm driving it with bald tires. I need to put some Pirelli's on it to start w/Rectifiers.  -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #14 - 01/02/12 at 08:54:19

Hi Stone,
    My favorite rectifiers so far are Japanese Mullard GZ-34's from Andy at Vintage Tube Services.  Another less expensive option are RCA 5A4's from the 50's and 60's.  I also have to order the National 7dj8's as the replacement for the 6N1P.  I decided to start the break in on the JJ 6CA7's tonight.   I'll let them burn in for a few days and then should be able to compare them to the Black Treasures.  
   Where are you located?  
Cheers,
Morgan

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/02/12 at 17:00:15

Stone recanted thus:

Quote:
I am not selling this Amp!  Hell, I am thinking about ordering Steve's new Horn Speaker to mate with it.

Why the change? Well, hit the 300 hr mark with this Amp and you will know. Sorry to the guy that wanted to buy it before I even posted to Audiogon............I can't part with it.....no hype and no BS.

So true. When my Toriis started opening up, it felt like dawn breaking through cathedral windows. Glad you're keeping the Torii.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/02/12 at 17:18:09

Morgan wrote:

Quote:
My favorite rectifiers so far are Japanese Mullard GZ-34's from Andy at Vintage Tube Services.  Another less expensive option are RCA 5A4's from the 50's and 60's.  I also have to order the National 7dj8's as the replacement for the 6N1P.  I decided to start the break in on the JJ 6CA7's tonight.   I'll let them burn in for a few days and then should be able to compare them to the Black Treasures.  

Morgan, thanks for this. Your post finally got me to pick up the phone and call Andy at VTS. Looking forward to my discussion. I just got done doing a bunch of rectifier swaps over the weekend. My Taboo still has its Mullard GZ-37, but the other equipment had all RCA with one old JAN Raytheon in the SE84ZS. Now, my Ultra has a 1960s Hammond-labeled RCA 5U4G (straight-sided, which is big change for me, since I tend to like the voluptuous big-bottle girls), and the Toriis are trying out some early RCA 5AS4A (again, straight-sided). These latter are some interesting rectifiers. Lots of muscle, but I cannot discern yet if they are having a negative impact on depth, maybe blackness.

Which leads me to my second question: anyone know of a method for tube burn in other than plopping them into the target amps and letting them run for about two weeks with a 5/5 on-off cycle? Other than simply playing them, of course. Here's whaT I have observed: even if I take detailed notes, by the time I start really hearing what I am looking for, the process of listening to the tubes change pretty much wreaks Heisenberg havoc.  Of course, once done, then it is easier to swap tubes and really listen. So maybe that's just the way it has to be done. But it makes honest tube comparison time-consuming and difficult.

Third, the Nationals are quite nice, I think better than the Ediswanns I had in the Toriis. So, when I replaced the Nationals I had in the Ultra with the Siemens-Halske 6922 tubes, I moved the Nationals to the Toriis. Too soon to tell how much a difference it makes, because I changed two things at the same time (not to mention the rectifiers).

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #17 - 01/03/12 at 13:31:39

Good question on the tube break in.   I just turn the Torii on and leave it on for a few days and then turn it off a few hours and repeat!  I'm up to a few hundred hours now in a few weeks and she is starting to open up a bit:).

As for the tube comparisons......very hard indeed for me!   Especially since they are hot and you can't change them out quickly!

My tube comparisons go like this.....play my favorite songs, see what I like, listen to that tube combo a few days, then make a switch and over time see what I appreciate the most.  That's not very scientific, but it points me in the direction of what I like the best  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print