Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 22:45:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is remastered always better? (Read 628 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Is remastered always better?
12/04/11 at 05:07:51

I have a few remastered CDs that I swear don't sound any better than there un-remastered versions.  Is remastered always better?  Or just louder?  Or is it based on the original master?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Is remastered always better?
Reply #1 - 12/04/11 at 13:06:58

It's sort of a crap shoot MM. Some are better, some aren't. The mastering engineer and equipment comes into play here, but more and more these days the "philosophy" of the engineer, the reissue producer, the label, etc. comes into play and the trend is towards loud near-maximized cds which can yield a loss in dynamics and "breath" in the music.

We're lucky in that in my opinion a Decware system can bring the very best out of a mediocre remastering with the different bias settings, ohm settings, "riding the gain," the holographic imaging and staging, etc. But sometimes the remaster just isn't an improvement.

There's an audio forum,
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/, at the site of audio engineer Steve Hoffman, where thousands talk about just this, the "loudness" aspect, the engineering aspect, the production aspect, and on this site many list their favorite and their most hated remasterings and discuss in (sometimes nauseating) detail. I find that many there are often more obsessed with these details and differences than they are with enjoying the music. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/11 at 17:21:59

I will read up on that site.

Lon, interesting new moniker.  Yikes!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/04/11 at 18:08:55

It was given to me by Ed and seems to be my new nickname for a handful of people. Like Whinin' Boy, I don't deny my name, though I don't feel I deserve it.. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/11 at 01:58:24

Which Ed is that?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/06/11 at 02:16:36

Schilling?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/06/11 at 06:06:22

Has to be !!!!!

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/11 at 04:58:57

A non-issue...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print