Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 23:57:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Cans are waitin' on a little Taboo lovin' (Read 11771 times)
Jfat
Ex Member

My Cans are waitin' on a little Taboo lovin'
11/09/11 at 01:23:24

2 months and counting!,...I'm told my Taboo amp is on the bench.  ;D
I'm listening to my Audeze LCD-2's through an old Headroom amp right now (some America from their 1st album) and dreaming of the day when the mighty Taboo arrives,... wait is that a little drool drippin' down onto my keyboard?.

Anyway this is my first post on the Decware site in  anticipation of a little Taboo lovin'.

Does anyone else run this combo?.

Cheers All

Jeff

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My Cans are waitin' on a little Taboo lovin'
Reply #1 - 11/09/11 at 01:33:34

Cheers Jeff! Welcome to the forum. Hope you'll stay and let us know your impressions when it arrives. (Soon, oh so soon I hope, possibly next week, the week after perhaps?)

I've never run that combination, nor heard the Taboo, but I'm sure that you are going to be a happy camper and you have months of discovery ahead of you.

I hope that the time before it arrives passes as quickly and calmly as possible. Remember to hydrate!  8-)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 11/10/11 at 16:47:55

Jfat, 2 months? I am at 12 weeks and 2 days wait for my Torii Mk III..... . Mine has just made it to the bench as well.

To be fair, Decware did take quite a few orders alone, at the end of August (I ordered mine August 16th) before the price increase on the III Amp and it has 3 or 4 times more parts, tubes and tranny's to be wound........vs. the Taboo. Like Lon said be calm and hydrate Smiley  Me too.

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/17/11 at 22:27:09

I have a Taboo with CSP2+ Preamp and they are wonderful! I don't have any decent headphones, I normally listen to a pair of home built Zen Open Baffle speakers with the DFR8 drivers

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Josey_Luther
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/19/11 at 11:23:16

What are these Open Baffle speakers?

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/11 at 00:40:20

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZOB.html

Those are Zen Open Baffle Speakers.

Decware also sells the plans so you can build them yourself if you like. This is what I did, with the decware plans I built these

http://www.macmeisters.com/~damien/built/page1/page1.html

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Jfat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/21/11 at 22:37:00

Hi y'all!.

Well, I finally got my Taboo amp up and runnin' for my Audeze LCD-2 cans!. Ahhhhh,...she sounds good, think I'll call her "Betty".

Sorry about the delay getting back, but when I received her, I inserted the rectifier tube with the guide key not aligned, she went up in smoke!  :'(
Yes, you may call me "Doofus", I guess I was just to damn excited to get her going and not paying close attention. Well Betty is back from repairs and I've got about 8 hrs on her, already the tone is magic, can't wait till she's fully run in.

I've patched the Taboo variable from the aux/tape out from my Joule Electra pre amp, so I'm using the attenuator that's on board the Taboo. I also tried her direct from the line out on the preamp, but I thought that it was lacking a little gain,...in other words I could bump the volume control to the max and not blow my brains out. These aren't the easiest cans in the world to drive (50 ohms), but a little extra oomph, when it's 11pm and I'm sipping on my Rum n' coke wouldn't be out of order. I do have the option of adjusting the output impedance on my pre amp, but I have to tear off the lid and install jumpers, something to do with Mu follower instead of plate follower or visa versa.

I'll only be using the Taboo as a headphone amp, so I do have some variables I can play with.

Cheers to Steve and crew for getting my Taboo back to me so quick and for their patience and forbearance with my idiot move!.

What an amp.

Jeff

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/21/11 at 23:00:51

Jeff we've all been guilty of what a friend calls IEMs. Iditiotic Electrical Mistakes. Glad your Taboo is back and pleasing you so! Keep us posted on your impressions, and happy listening!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/22/11 at 02:27:41

The Taboo and LCD-2s are a delightful combination. I have heard a lot of amps with those cans, bit none exceeds the Taboo. The Cavalli Liquid Fire is a very close competitor, but if you pair the Taboo with a ZSTAGE or preamp, it is king of the hill in my view.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Jfat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/22/11 at 15:42:59

Well,...Day 2 listening and suddenly the Taboo cuts out. Fuse blown,...turns out the rectifier tube bit the big one, lots of blue sparkles cascading in the tube,...very pretty actually.

Hopefully it was just a crap tube to begin with, I seem to have no luck with rectifier tubes. I found a supply of tubes here in Vancouver, so I'll get another one and see if it fries.

Have a cool yule all!.

Cheers

Jeff

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 12/22/11 at 16:14:05

Was it the stock Ruby? The only tube that ever blew up on me was a stock Ruby rectifier shortly in  its use. . . they just aren't any good in my opinion. Hope you have it running very soon!

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/22/11 at 22:58:24

I had one of the stock rectifiers go bad in the first month. Mr. Deckert replaced it no questions asked. The new one seems fine

WWW k919596   IP Logged
Jfat
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/26/11 at 17:13:02

Sad news for the Taboo. It keeps blowing rectifier tubes, Steve and I are scratching our heads, I'm sending it back to Peoria this week. I might just pick up the Zstage as well to give me a little more gain. I wonder if I can place it between my preamp and amp?, otherwise I'm down to one source.

Cheers Everyone

Jeff

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/26/11 at 23:29:53

It could be that the socket is faulty, which is an easy fix. That happened to me with a piece of equipment. In any event, Deckert will get to the bottom of it.  You will be pleased in the long run.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print