Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 21:52:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for advice on a new system (Read 3722 times)
fremontxianren
Ex Member

Looking for advice on a new system
09/07/11 at 18:09:55

Hi, I am new here and new to tube land as well.  I am thinking of buying a ZCD200i, a mini Torii, and DM945 for my Study.  Two questions:

1. The ZCD200i has a stepped attenuator option.  Since Mini Torii has built in pre-amp function, would I still need the stepped attenuator?

2. Generally, do I need to buy a power conditioner for my system?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Looking for advice on a new system
Reply #1 - 09/07/11 at 18:56:36

1. You won't need a stepped attenuator on the ZCD.
2. When you can, think about addressing what power issues you may have. First, enjoy the system. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
fremontxianren
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/11 at 17:25:25

Thanks.

IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/11 at 22:08:54

I found the stepped attenuators on the Mini Torii too coarse the get the exact volume I wanted.  I'm using a CSP+ preamp to solve the problem.  I might send my Mini Torii back to Steve and have a  regular pot installed.  Something to think about.

The DM945 speakers (in my too large room) have gorgeous upper midrange and treble.  The lower midrange is unsatisfactory, and bass is MIA.  Going from the Mini Torii to a more powerful 65 watt amp helped, but the sound is still a little thin and unbalanced.  Good speaker, wrong room.  The build quality and visual appeal of the DM945 is first rate.

I don't think you will have these problems in a smaller room.

Read the review of the DM945 at
http://www.stereomojo.com/DECWARE%20DM945%20MINI%20SPEAKER%20REVIEW.htm/DECWARED...

Note that one reviewer used a HSU subwoofer for his review.  

I'm considering trying a HSU Mid bass module with my DM945 to see if it will balance my sound.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

Good luck with your new system!

IP Logged
fremontxianren
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/09/11 at 03:43:27

Thanks for sharing your experience on the stepped attenuators and DM945.  Since my Study is a small room, and I often work late, I need the fine control you mentioned.  I have ordered my system (both the ZCD and Mini Torii) without the stepped attenuators.

I look forward to learning more about tubes, tube amps, and speakers from folks on this wonderful forum.

All the best,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print