05/07/24 at 06:44:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attenuator and remote (Read 2558 times)
GTort
Verified Member

Attenuator and remote
09/05/11 at 02:17:11

New here. I ordered the Zen Torii just b4 the price increase (as it seems everyone and his brother did) and now have to wait. While reading here and at other sites I am now considering the stepped attenuator as I've read both pros and cons. One question though if anyone knows would the remote on my pre (potentiometer) continue to work with or without the attenuator. My guess is both ways but someone here may have experience one way or another. Would just like to say that this is a very impressive company and a knowledgeable audio crowd. Thanks in advance, Gary

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Attenuator and remote
Reply #1 - 09/05/11 at 16:47:10

Welcome Gary, and congrats on your order.

I have the Ultra preamp, and of course, I occasionally desire the advantage of remote volume control. I can tell you that the output on my Oppo player remains controllable through the remote. This is not ideal, of course, but it's a convenience factor in certain listening/viewing circumstances. So, I cannot imagine why your remote on your pre would not work for you. Regardless of which attenuator you choose on your Torii, wherever you set it will simply define your max volume using your pre. I like the stepped attenuators on all my amps, except for the Taboo, which is a headphone amp, and on which, I preferred more control fineness.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
GTort
Verified Member

Re: Attenuator and remote
Reply #2 - 09/06/11 at 03:26:42

Thanks Pale Rider for the input. The Torii will most likely do double duty in the living room with the entertainment center and (currently) with my Musical Fidelity CD-pre - and in my music room. This pre is extremely useful for LP/CD transfers so will end up in the music/computer room. Have to demo the Torii with my larger speakers in living room so hence the need for the remote. Can't fit anything other than bookshelves in the music room so the Torii may stay in the living room. If this amp is as wonderful as they say I might have to get two!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print