Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 23:38:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confused about how to put togther a system ... (Read 4576 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Confused about how to put togther a system ...
09/01/11 at 12:51:39

Hello everyone, Newbie checking in with a few questions.  I noticed that a few of the Decware amps have inputs to where a pre-amp is not needed, etc. but I'm still a little confused on how to put together a cohesive system that will work with my sources.

Can I get some feedback on what is needed to run the following equipment?

My sources are:

1. NAS LaCie Network Server with FLAC and Apple Lossless (usb)
2. iPhone (usb)
3. PRO-JECT RM-5.1 SE w/Speedbox II and Zu Audio Prime ZuDL-103  Moving Coil Cartridge

My headphone and speakers I will be using:

4. Audez’e LCD 2 Headphone Planar Magnetic (50 ohms and 91db)
5. Zu Audio Soul Superfly (16ohm and 101db)

The room is a bigger bedroom of about 15 x 15.  Most music will be blues, modern, classic, progressive, hard and alternative forms of rock, new age, classic country western and some rockabilly.  I can see myself using the turntable quite a bit.

I am assuming I will need an amp, headphone amp, phono amp and zbox and dac, however it seems that some of the Deware components can handle more than one of these jobs and that's what I'm confused about.  I may tube roll and tinker down the road, but for right now I just want to get it all set up.

Thanks in advance for your input!  :)

Also, if anybody has feedback with the Zu Soul Superfly I would appreciate your thoughts and I am open to other speakers within that price range of $3,000.00

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Confused about how to put togther a system ...
Reply #1 - 09/01/11 at 13:44:07

Well, I personally think you can skip the ZBox if you are going to use a high quality phono preamp such as the Decware Zen Triode Phono Stage, or a high quality DAC such as the now discontinued Decware ZDAC-1. (The ZDAC-1 is very recommended, I have one for sale, I spent a lot more to replace it with a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC).

The Taboo would be the recommended amp for your speakers I would say. Should mate well with the Zu. If you are not using headphones you won't need a preamp. But you are using headphones, and as a headphone amp, which doubles as an incredible and wonderfully flexible preamp the CSP2 is the obvious choice. The CSP2 will help take the sound of the Taboo to yet another level than the excellent sound without a CSP2. This is one of the Decware products that can accomplish two tasks: it is a headphone amp and a preamp with very useful adjustable gain. It would also be a great control center to control volume and switching between the phono preamp and the DAC.

You can't go wrong with Decware interconnects, speaker cable and power cords for the money. Excellent, and work well with Decware components.

Welcome, and enjoy the journey!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/02/11 at 07:58:22

Hi Lon, thanks for the feedback ... What do you think of the mini torii with the planar headphone option combined with a ZP3 and a DAC?

Then I think I will change from the Zu Audio Prime ZuDL-103 MC to a Grado Statement.  Am I right in thinking that the Grado "Statement" series would negate the need for a step-up transformer?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/02/11 at 12:24:31

You've asked me about two areas I'm weak in: the Mini-Torii and headphones.

For some reason the Mini-Torii has never appealed to me, and I have never heard it in use. I don't know how it will react with your speakers, and my GUESS is not nearly as well as the Taboo. I could well be wrong, and there are experienced Torii users and owners here who can give you a better batch of information there.

And along with this unfamiliarity, I've not had experience with headphone usage for over a decade, outside of using some B&O A8 headphones with my iPad every now and then. In the late eighties I used headphones a lot in recording bands I was in (and a few others) and mixing, etc. and I just really BURNED OUT on headphone listening. I don't have much experience with models available and their "needs."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/02/11 at 14:56:10

I would echo what Lon wrote as well. I have a Taboo that I use to drive my LCD-2 headphones. When it was set up as my office listening rig, I put a ZStage in front of it, and it really opened up the Taboo. Now, it is fed by my Ultra. I stress, though, that the Taboo can drive the LCD-2s very, very well on its own. Because of the Taboo's Lucid Mode, it is my favorite headphone amp. I really like the Cavalli Liquid Fire on the LCD-2s as well (speed, micro-detail, and bass are excellent), but I prefer the sound signature of the Taboo. I have not listened to the CSP2, but I would be surprised if it could drive the LCD-2s satisfactorily.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print