Send Topic Print
DFR8 break in (Read 14855 times)
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

DFR8 break in
08/26/11 at 09:59:18

I have about 120 hours on the DFR's and they are loaded on to the ZOB. No bass as yet.
I have been listening at regular volume and still need the sub in, or else it sounds too thin. For those of you who have gone through the break in process pl educate.

Thanks

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: DFR8 break in
Reply #1 - 09/29/11 at 17:07:57

Please view my 'gadget' using a short horn in the back of the driver. It has worked well for me despite the fact I am still tweeking it a bit. On my drivers, the closer the better.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 18:34:27

To be clear, you will find it at  'general discussion' under 'naughty news'. This idea seems to load the diaphram of the driver, forcing more signal downwards toward the resonating chamber slot. I have noticed that under a certain volume, the bass is diminished, hence the continued tweeking. I am using full range Audio Nirvana driver and also a Gizmo device to control freq.. response. It is a touchy thing to adjust.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/11 at 05:07:54

It's my impression from reading the ZOB white papers, that you will not get 'thump' from an open baffle speaker of any kind. What you will get is sweet mellow bass.

For thump you need a Sub.

But remember you need it to sound like YOU like it. If that means you use a sub all the time that's ok as long as you are happy with the sound.

Mr Deckert has outlined a manner in which you can broadcast the bass in the chamber of the ZOB to make it louder using a microphone and a small amp.

I have only got my ZOB/DFR8 working just today. Knowing there is a long break in I was surprised at the amount of bass I was getting. But like you I have not yet disconnected my tiny little sub. Wink

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 10/06/11 at 15:41:05

I will be very interested in what you think of the dfr8 as far as mids and highs. The Audio Nirvana speakers are doing just fine, but they are still breaking as evidenced by the amount of bass and the change in treble. To be honest, I haven't played them nearly as much as I should for a quicker break in time.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/06/11 at 16:37:19

4krow, not sure if that was directed at me or Proud_Indian or both. Anyway I am impressed already. The 8"s in the ZOB are outperforming the DFR65 in almost every way. Except the highs.. however they are close and I expect them to improve as they break in. been using the 65's most of the year so they have some break in time on them.

In defense of the DFR65's though, I think I really did them a disservice putting them in such small boxes. Oh well I had to have something.. They will be getting a new enclosure now that the ZOB's are online.

I posted a pic of my ZOB's over in the Customer pics forum

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/07/11 at 04:30:02

They do take a long time to break in. But one thing is for sure.....the bass is clean. I have now disconnected the sub, as I feel that the bass, even though it is less than expected, is more integrated. This make it sound better than the sub.
I have not been pushing it to very high volumes, hence maybe the longer break in. The highs need to get better. the mids are fine....I have been using Lowther PM6A's and do not miss the mids on the ZOB.
Imaging is very good and precise.
BTW on another note..... this is my first fostex drivers. What is this things about connecting the negative to the frame tweek?

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 10/07/11 at 14:23:20

Shreek,  I do not know of the tweek that you are referring to, but it sounds like the frame might 'absorb' some of the signal. The question that I would ask is, is there distortions accompanied with this tweek.
 I have to ask, is there any shout associated with the Lowther driver? If so, would you consider the GIZMO device offered by Decware?

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/10/11 at 04:50:19

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print