03/29/24 at 07:33:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ERR spikes (Read 13569 times)
GregMav
Ex Member

ERR spikes
08/26/11 at 01:52:27

Can anybody tell me what the spikes are like that come with the ERR?  Pictures would be welcome and appreciated, too, if possible.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ERR spikes
Reply #1 - 08/26/11 at 05:28:49

Don't know for sure as I haven't yet received any for my ERRs, but I believe they are 1/4-20 threaded rod with locking nut and a spiked end. Greg or Zygi or another may chime in I hope with definitive info.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/26/11 at 14:53:15

The studs are indeed 1/4-20. Half inch or 3/4 work fine. I put 3/4 versions of the Herbie's Gliders on all mine. The supplied spikes are a very solid, somewhat squat shape, and nearly black in color. Not using mine. When I return home today, I will be happy to post a pic.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/26/11 at 15:02:38

Interesting. I tried Herbie's Gliders (not threaded) and ultimately prefer the ERRs with no spikes/feet, at least so far. Haven't received the proprietary spikes however.

I think in my case with two channel the height of the speaker without any feet/spikes is perfect.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/28/11 at 02:56:34

Here is a quick snapshot of two of the spikes:

They are a bit less squat than I had remembered. From tip to base [without the stud], they are almost exactly 1 inch in height.

IP Logged
GregMav
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/11 at 07:46:52

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.  And thank you Pale Rider, for the picture.  I appreciate it.

From what I am gathering, the thread on the spike is a standard width in diameter?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/28/11 at 14:15:56

1/4-20 thread. One could consider this standard for this application.

IP Logged
GregMav
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/30/11 at 01:02:59

Why I asked about the "standard" thread diameter is that I was wondering if one could experiment with other types of spikes, as long as the threads were the same diameter?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 08/30/11 at 01:21:49

I wondered if a person could start with some 1/4-20 SHCS and just screw them into the threaded holes. Another idea would be 1/4-20 studs and lock nuts.  From what I have seen of the spikes is if you have to pay more than $4.00 for them, someone is taking advantage of you. Nothing but some hex stock with a couple of minutes of machining on them.
To answer your question, 1/4-20 is the same on everything you will ever run into. Sometimes they will be called 1/4-20 UNC. Same thing.
You don't want a 1/4-28 UNF or a 1/4-18 NPT or NSP.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
GregMav
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/30/11 at 02:54:49

I was doing some surfing on the web for spikes and came across an interesting set of them.  TT Soundpoints for speakers.  Company seems to be out of Canada.  A set of 8 spikes will set you back a measly $1,499.00 CDN.  Don't know what that translates to american $ wise, but I am willing to guess it isn't inexpensive.  YIKES!!!!!!! Shocked

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/11 at 03:15:38

Just to round out the data set, the supplied spikes have a mass of 33 grams each or approximately 1-1/8 oz in weight. Donnie is right, nothing fancy, just a nice hunk of pointed metal designed to decouple the speaker. The fact that they are included with the ERRs is just another value indicator to my mind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print