Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 11:49:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Popular rectifiers? (Read 4102 times)
nico

Popular rectifiers?
08/17/11 at 21:04:59

The more I read about the influence that a rectifier has on the sound of the ZEN, the more I come across the name Mullard GZ32 and CV593.
I'm using a Sovtek 5U4G from 1975 [nos] and am curious, before buying a other rectifier, what I can expect from another [ that mullard GZ32 ?] tube, is it really that good?
Nico

IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Re: Popular rectifiers?
Reply #1 - 08/17/11 at 22:50:16

hi nico.  when i first got my csp2 and my zen c+ i also became aware that rectifier tubes were very important in influencing what we finally hear.  so i experimented with that.  6 bendix 6101.  4 gz32. 4 chinese 274b. 2 5v4.  the mullard gz32 are indeed what i have chosen as my preferred rectifier tubes.  i have heard that gz34 tubes are even better but i cannot afford them due to their high price.  the price of the gz32 can vary widely.  shop carefully.  the bendix 6106 are practically immortal and can be gotten from tube depot new  for $50.  the chinese 274b can be gotten for $15.  in my opinion russian tubes can be put in the bottom of the box.  except for the 6nip and the 6p15p tubes that steve's zen was designed around.  much to be learned in spite of what some members of this forum say about "exotic tubes".  don pettit,  long beach, washington, usa

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 23:32:26

Nico/Don:

I have tried the Mullard GZ37 and 34, but not the 32, in my Taboo. I preferred the 37, though both delivered a very warm, liquid seductive sound. I have not tried either in my Toriis or Ultra. I am not sure I would be quite so harsh on the Russians. I recentlY purchased several Svetlana NOS 1950-70s era black plate 5U4G rectifiers, and while I only listened long enough to make sure they were functional, they were hardly rubbish, sounding nearly as good as my RCA NOS 1950-60s rectifiers.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
nico

Reply #3 - 08/18/11 at 06:35:03

Thanks Don and Pale Rider for your comments. I'll give the Mullard GZ32 that I was offered local a go. Looking at the list of tubes you've already tried out Don, I'm happy to get this backup, since it saves me going through the same list to get to the same result.... Wink
Thanks!
Nico

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print