Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 17:46:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non-Decware amp smokes and smells burnt... (Read 7343 times)
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Non-Decware amp smokes and smells burnt...
08/03/11 at 11:59:03

Now what do I do? I cannot seem to see any component that is burnt or mishapped. I have been a long time away from electronics and can't remember what to do next to try and make it work again. Looks like one of the wires came off the post on the driver and shorted one of the channels by contact with it's positive neighbor. What would that do?

I also have a Harman Kardon amp that I want to part out and make something simple out of, but I don't remember how to do that.

Unfortunately, I lost my schematic. Fortunately, I saved the pictures.
If anyone knows where I can get a little understanding of what it takes to make/recycle an amplifier in it's simplest form from parts of something so complex it's scary looking I would appreciate it. I've been away a long time. I can post as many pictures as you want.

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: amp smokes and smells like burnt plastic...
Reply #1 - 08/04/11 at 00:22:28

I don't know. If you let all of the smoke out, there isn't much that you can do for it.
I'd recommend shooting it. Don't use a piddly little .22 or 9mm, use a man's gun, a .45 or even a .500 if you can get you hands on one. I once had to put a Bose Wave radio down, the owner didn't have the balls to do it. His kids cried for a week.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 03:11:45

Probably a coil shorting out due to a high amp transistor malfunctioning. Pretty much everything else would have burned out by then. Usually not worth repairing....better off finding a replacement board.

IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 10:05:53

I would like to know how to make an amplifier from a Harman Kardon Dell subwoofer amp. I want it to have nothing but caps to filter out noise and be at least ten real good sounding watts set up the simplest way possible. ANy ideas what I can use to learn to make amplifiers out of main components?

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/04/11 at 15:23:50

Donnie's right. DNR.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Reply #5 - 08/06/11 at 23:26:06

So, now I'm down to a 5 watt tube amp. Why does this amp get louder AND sound better than the 60 watt did? Doesn't make much sense to me! A heck of a home made tube amp for $10.00 at the neighbor's garage sale!!!

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Reply #6 - 08/07/11 at 21:32:10

WOW!!!! I just reversed polarity of the leads for my new OB mains and added some nice resistors to try matching the outputs of the specific drivers so they sound flat and WOW! LET THERE BE high quality deep bass. No caps, no coils, 12ohms resistance.  (I now remember learning that more than 16 might kill your amp!!!

((I learned the hard way with the best 5.1 Receiver I've ever  
had.=0)  ))

EDIT:: Tube amp turned out to be a fake.

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/11/11 at 19:20:58

HellionDarklord - So, now I'm down to a 5 watt tube amp. Why does this amp get louder AND sound better than the 60 watt did?

Tube watts are not like other watts... I have just discovered this fact this year. Sadly it took 44 years to happen.

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print