Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:30:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
15" drivers mutant WO attempt (Read 12133 times)
Hondab100s
Ex Member

15" drivers mutant WO attempt
07/26/11 at 04:10:50

So I hinted this concept in a response on another topic...but the topic was not generic enough to include this attempt.  I have a pair of Power Accoustik P3-15s along with a couple of 1000watt class d amps to feed them. I am wondering if I could place them in a oversized WO box to fit in a minivan. The portion of the minivan I am working with is 5'x4'x4'. So if I use this space I'll still have room for 2 rows of seats and can always use the 3rd row if I stand the box up(as if I would want to...probably rather heavy at this point) So I was wondering if a 48"x48"x24" would be about right? If I did that I'd point the port towards the back with the box as far forward as possible I assume?(with lots and lots of sound deadening material...and ear plugs). In the other topic I was talking about what numbers to use as guide lines for cuts...obviously the 8" 2" stuff won't work since the outside proportions changed. So I thought I'd subtract the material thickness and used the ratios to the dimensions of the total box instead?instead of 8" to a 34.5" width I use 10.75" to a 46.5" width? and so on...

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Re: 15" drivers mutant WO attempt
Reply #1 - 07/27/11 at 03:18:50

Ok so it looks like there will be too much volume in the sealed portion(among others) for the box to be 4'x4''x2'...so with this in mind I did some calculating and 4'x3'x18" is just.....about right. these woofers have large magnets but assuming they're not more than 11" wide all should be well with the configuration i came up with.

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 05:31:48

Does this look familiar???Now this box is 48" wide and 36" long and even at the angle the baffle is at there's maybe an inch on each side with the 15" woofer (baffles are 18"+)This box has a significantly louder output around 80hz than I desired especially for such a large driver. It seems that the lower frequencies start losing control sooner than expected...seeing how the cavity of the vehicle (minivan) is flexing during this issue I definitely need to invest in a few layers of sound deadening material. Perhaps the electrical system to the amp is to blame for the lack of control at low frequencies as I am concerned about the voltage drop during the issue. But at the same time it might be as simple as reducing the sealed portion of the box? The woofers are Power Acoustik p3-15 powered by a 5500watt Class D amp. Personally, I don't care for what power outputs amps say they have. I simply go by the fuses and type of amp it is. In this case it's a Class D and has 5 40 amp fuses. Since Class D amps are at least 90% efficient that means at most 180amps can be sucked in by the amp at a given time...which is over 2100watts...Of course my voltage drops down to around 9volts at high volume and my amp can run at 1ohm and it's currently setup to 2ohm so obviously I am not even close to 2100 watts. If I had to guess I would say closer to 700 watts or so given the limitations of my electrical system and woofer impedance. This is with 4g wire(cheap) and a 4farad cap. To make my estimate all the more confirmed I am using a 140amp fuse at the battery for this setup without issues...although who knows what the fuse can actually handle. I am thinking I need to upgrade to 2g wire with a ground block and keep the voltage at least up to 11v...maybe I'll achieve 1000w then?for you newbies in the car audio...or any kind of audio field 1000w is a lot of juice...not walmart 1000w but serious truely rated watts. One would be surprised what an 80watt 8inch sub in a properly proportional amp/box can do make you want to throw away those 1200watt mtx terminator 12s you paid $150 for. do your homework...ask questions...time is money..the more time you invest in reviewing the more money you save. Do it right once or do it twice wrong....your choice.

IP Logged
stlitt
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/01/11 at 06:22:37

Hey Honda. How many of these have you put together?

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/10/11 at 15:48:46

Three...the other 2 were for 12s

IP Logged
stlitt
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 09/10/11 at 17:15:37

what subs did you use for the 12" versions?

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/16/11 at 21:01:10

Some Cheap American bass or something subs...then changed to AutoTek Mx-1222D subs...then the other build I used RF P3 subs....the AutoTeks were the best...wish I could still find them at a decent price!!!

IP Logged
Stroker-Porsche
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/05/11 at 05:02:11

How bad were the Ab subs really?  I have my first attempt at a WO loaded with those.  Second WO will be with RF HX2's instead.  JUst wondering if they will make do for now.

BTW dual 15" is crazy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print