03/28/24 at 18:10:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicked one. Hot glue? (Read 9138 times)
Skidizo
Ex Member

Wicked one. Hot glue?
07/20/11 at 19:18:16

I've always thought you were supposed to use some sort of caulk on the seams inside a sub-box. Why is hot glue recommended? Undecided

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Re: Wicked one. Hot glue?
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 04:39:34

I am a liquid nails freak.....except the top panel...there I use 3"long predrilled screws and foam seal for maintenance/repairs/adjustments. I also typically aim the magnet toward the port side so the wiring can travel the length of the port to the cone in the middle...less chance of altering the sealed section that way.

IP Logged
Skidizo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/11 at 16:37:06

Thanks for the response, but I'm not talking about the joints for joining the panels together during construction. I'm talking a obout the sealing the seams after construction.

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 03:07:23

I never have that issue after the liquid nails...but I have seen either used and the only benefits I can think of hot glue is easier/faster application. A box put together with caulking would require a substantial amount of dry time before use. If I remember correctly, the fumes from this drying process has caused accelerated decaying of foam surrounds. Someone check me on that note...but I think that's right.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 08/04/11 at 12:35:57

I would think the off gassing from Liquid Nails would be more detrimental to foam surrounds than Latex caulk would.

If your joints are straight and tight, there should be no need for sealing the inside around the joints. If you used a circular saw, or lord help us a jig saw to cut your wood, then you'ed definitely need some sort of sealant at the joints.  But even at that, the box is already starting out compromised with poor joints.
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 03:49:27

Haa yeah no doubt...still I'm going to let adhesives dry before installing woofers...liquid nails or caulking. I've had to refoam too many woofers to attempt otherwise.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print