Fire damage (Read 7341 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Fire damage
07/07/11 at 20:35:32

Steve,

We had a house fire Sunday &  was wondering if you do smoke damage restoration? I was on vacation & haven't been able to check out my Zen Select amps or RL-3s yet but just wanted to know my options! My insurance will pay for restoration or replacement! Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Fire damage
Reply #1 - 07/07/11 at 22:36:50

I am sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine the magnitude of your loss there. Does the equipment still work? If it does it would be a testament to the sturdiness of the DECWARE gear. Marantz had an ad back in the 1970's about a receiver that had gone through a fire but still worked. Best of luck with recovering.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 01:00:58

KellyB

Man I don't even want to know what that is like, sorry to hear this bad news.

I can't speak for Steve, but I'll sure do what I can for you on the RL-3's.

Let me know if I can help,
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 14:13:24

Really sorry Kelly! Glad you and yours are safe. I know that the rest will be taken care of by our good Decware crew.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #4 - 07/09/11 at 05:54:53

Thanks guys,
I'm still in Alaska & will be home? late Sat. night! The restoration company said they would have to re-sheetrock the entire upstairs, re-roof it, & re-side it. They said it could be 6 months & up to $150,000 to replace everything!!! I wish the "House Crashers" would show up at my house!!!
I've heard some kinds of soot can be corrosive the longer you wait, should I let the restoration co. clean it first or what?
You guys are great & always reply to everyone's questions, thanks again!!! Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/09/11 at 13:14:11

As to the speakers, if the drivers are still intact, then maybe the wood could be sanded down or veneered?

Regarding the amps, if they did not melt they probably can clean up fine.

The interconnect and speaker cables are most likely toasted.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 07/09/11 at 13:22:10

Kelly,

Yes, let them clean the wood surfaces of the RL-3', if nothing else it will keep the smell down in my shop. I don't think they could do any more damage to the drivers than the water from the fireman has already done.

So you haven't seen the damage yet? That will be a shock when you get home.  :o

Do they have any idea what the cause of the fire was?

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #7 - 07/11/11 at 08:51:04

I saw the house yesterday & I thought I was prepared to see it but the more I looked at each room, the sicker I got. The upstairs was a "total loss" except for our bedroom because the door closed, they will restore everything in that room. The Decware equipment was downstairs behind a closed door in the rec. room, it had smoke damage but no real heat or water damage, the power is off & I couldn't see real closely. We meet with the restoration people today & will ask what they can do with the equipment.

My wife baked lemon bars for our house-sitter & left the pan on top of the cooktop stove. We checked the stove twice before leaving & it was off. The "Kitchen Aid" unit we had would turn-on if you brushed-up against. this had happened 4 or 5 times before. We think either the house-sitter or the cat might have bumped the knob, as it was stuck on simmer. We're telling people it was the cat, for the sitter's sake!!! The Fire Chief said it started from the stove! Kelly

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/11/11 at 15:47:27

That's bad luck Kelly. Glad that no one was hurt! That's always the most important consideration.

Thank goodness for insurance. A great period of disorder and effort ahead, but things can be restored. I'm sure your system will be right as rain in time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print