Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:56:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What tubes are you using? (Read 10205 times)
DougK
Seasoned Member

What tubes are you using?
06/28/11 at 17:55:36

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone is using in their Torii.  As for me, I've done a lot of tube rolling and here's what I have:

Input tubes: NOS Telefunken 6922 CCa
Output tubes: NOS Tung-Sol 6550 Solid Plates
Rectifier tubes: SED Winged C 5U4G Black Plate
Octal Regulator tubes: OD3
Seven pin Regulator tubes: OB2

I found the 6550s give a better overall sound than the EL34, and I like the tight bass the OD3 provides.  I tried a 5AR4 rectifier and found it was too dry, definitely prefer the 5U4G for more of that "tube" sound.

What are the rest of you using?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: What tubes are you using?
Reply #1 - 06/28/11 at 18:42:26

Interesting choice on the 6550s Doug. I don't have my Toriis yet, but should soon. I plan to stick with EL-34s [the Shuguang 6CA7-Z Treasures] to take advantage of the Hazen Grid. For the others, I am going to burn in with stock, but I have the following lined up to roll:

Input: Ediswan 6922
Rectifier: SED Winged C 5U4G Black Plate & Raytheon NOS 5U4G [I also may try a Mullard GZ33]
Octal Regulator: Sylvania & RCA NOS 0A3 & Philips JAN 0D3A
Seven-pin regulator: I have a variety of NOS RCA & Raytheon 0C2 here, but plan to try an 0B2

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
datman
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/28/11 at 19:23:22

I am using the following tubes in my Torii lll:

Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z (My Torii was built with these.)
SED black plate NOS 5U4G
National 7DJ8
0A3 and 0C2 diodes

I have and am going to try the 0B2.  The 0A2 makes the bass far too lean.

The 7DJ8 is by far the best input tube I have tried. I have used the 6N23P tubes and found they sound somewhat "crunchy," not what I was trying to accomplish.

Troii III; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE; Sonore Signature Series Music Server; Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2; ExactPower EP15A; Musical Affairs Grand Crescendo SAG Speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/28/11 at 19:41:30

I have the National 7DJ8 lined up for use in my Ultra. I went back and forth on whether to get more of those for the Toriis, or whether to do the Ediswans. I ended up choosing the latter.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/28/11 at 20:21:13

I'm using 6N23P, Winged C EL34, RCA 5U4G, and the other two rectifiers are the stock ones that came with the Torii; I haven't tried any tube rolling in those positions yet. I'm very happy with the sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 06/29/11 at 00:10:51

My tubes are stone stock! There isn't much use in changing anything with my old worn out ears. Plus I would have to turn it off. Right now it is running from the time I get home untill I go to bed.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/29/11 at 01:30:03

I cannot wait to hear this amp. I found out today that, while my Ultra might be able to ship this week, it is likely my Toriis will be delayed a few days longer for the arrival of the transformers. Given the importance of the transformer in the amp's design, I will wait. And with the help of fine distillery and pharmacological influences, I will remain calm.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/29/11 at 01:49:19

Are you using your Taboo at work or at home?  You should have fun seeing what two channels of the Ultra do to the Taboo if it's at home, and also playing around and breaking in the PS Audio Premier. . . .

Hope your wait for the Toriis isn't too long.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/11 at 02:39:55

Lon, the Taboo is at the office, but it's awfully easy to move. I will probably break in the Ultra here at the office, though, until my ERRs show. The Power Plant is due here Friday. I will break that in at home.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/29/11 at 22:40:52

You're going to have fun with the Premier. I think it takes a couple of days of use to really shine, but there's an immediate sonic change it makes.

I've been rolling tubes as a result of the change that the Premier brings. And I've found that the 6N2P is really working for me in the CSP2. I'd abandoned using that tube type because so many that I had seemed to be plagued with intermittent hum problems. I finally found three that seem hum-free around the house and man, it's removed a certain edginess that I had and deepened bass response. It's amazing to me what the CSP2 can do to the system with its adjustable gain. It took me a long time to finally realize how to use it, and when I followed Steve's instructions in a thread here to sort of set it up initially, I realized its potential. A real dynamic beast!  I'm sure the Ultra shares these characteristics.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print