Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:27:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trapeziums or DM945 for desk top (Read 18873 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Trapeziums or DM945 for desk top
06/20/11 at 02:50:09

I am presently using a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 mini monitors in my office setup with the TABOO. I have the speakers beside the computer monitor. They are raised using old books to bring the tweeters to ear level. The Vons are rear ported so there is little space between the back of the units and the wall. The bass performance does not kick with this setup because the books the speakers sit on lack mass.  Despite this the speakers sound good and perform well enough.

I was wondering how the Trapeziums would compare to what I am using now. From the scant information available on them, it appears that they could be used directly on top of the desk and the tweeter does not have to be at ear level. Is this so?  Would a pair of DM945's perform better. Do these need a stand for desk top use?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Re: Trapeziums or DM945 for desk top
Reply #1 - 06/20/11 at 03:24:46

Rivieraranch,

Here is what Rob from Audio Boutique CA wrote about them on his web site.

This speaker is unique in every sense of the word, from the trapezoid shaped cabinet (hence the name), the bolt through mechanical construction, the down firing bass port, TO THE SOUND.  This speaker is so unique that it defines it’s own category.  There is nothing we know of remotely like it, for design or sound.  The only speakers we know of that are specifically designed for the desktop are cheap powered plastic things found in the computer section of your local box store.  Oh yes, we know there are many speakers (like the David, and Audio Engine) that work well on the desktop but still they are essentially conventional speakers.  The Trapeziums were designed from the ground up for the desktop and are NOT conventional in any way - not even the sound.  Do not expect the sound of the average high quality two way mini monitor.  The Trapeziums have a sound that is huge even on the most confined computer desktop with a bottom end that makes a sub unnecessary.  The soundstage is deep and wide - never in your face, and the dispersion so wide that there is no sweet spot. They can be very close to your ears (and the back wall) without losing that sense of scale they are so good at.  The blend between the woofer and tweeter is so seamless one would think they are listening to a single driver speaker.  The sound is very smooth and non fatiguing - ideal for long sessions at the computer.  They will run well with any amp including the 2 watt Decware and the
8 watt Big Joe .  Choice of real wood veneers.  Hand built in the U.S.A.

The Trapeziums have a bit more presence in the midrange than the DM's while the DM have a bit more bass. But I don't feel bass is lacking with the Trap's. With my desk not being to deep, the DM's would make me feel claustrophobic while working at the computer.

There is no need for a stand to use them on a desk top, as this was how they were meant to be used. The angle is just about perfect for anywhere between 1 foot to 3 feet away.

I can't give you any idea as how they would fair against your VR-1's as I have never heard the VR-1's.

We have a few pair of figured woods...Curly Maple, Birds Eye Maple and I think we have one pair of walnut ready for drivers. These would sell for the same price as the standard cherry, but would negate the 30 day return policy.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 04:06:36

Have you considered something like maple platforms to raise the speakers you're using and add some mass?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/11 at 11:55:56

I've considered mini stands but never allocated the time and energy to follow up on it. For example, I had a lucky bamboo plant here at home that I wanted to take to the office. It took several days for me to remember to take it with me.

I could see what Bob says about being claustrophobic with large speakers near field. The Vons are rather large and imposing in their present position.

The introductory price on the Trapeziums seems a great deal.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 00:56:02

Up until recently with the intro of the TRAPS, we have used the DM945's as desktop monitors very successfully on LARGE executive Desktops, especially those that are not crammed against a wall.  The 3 to 4 foot depth of the large desk make it easy and painless, but up against a wall that same size desk may require you to plug the rear ports on the DM945's to keep the bass from getting out of hand.

Of course at 94dB they will get loud on even 2 watts, and sitting at your desk, louder than you would ever want to listen for any length of time.  That means if you're desk sets in free-space in a large room, they could double duty as modest party speakers and fill the whole room.  

In most situations where the desk is smaller and or up against the wall, the TRAPS are going to be overall BETTER.    And in larger scenarios like the one I painted for the DM945's, it's hard to say what speaker would sound better.   Logic would suggest that in most cases the smaller speaker would disappear better with run of the mill amplification, like an inexpensive solid state amplifier.  A great tube amplifier can often make a refrigerator sized box disappear... but how many desktop uses run great tube amps?  For those that do, the difference between the two speakers is most efficiency and signature,...   I'd just pick the best fit and go with that.

Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 11:57:17

Thanks for the in-depth analysis of the differences between these two. I could see where the DM's would be capable of playing louder than would be necessary in this application.

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 12:03:24

Bob:

Since you are offering optional finishes right now at no extra cost, would you mind posting a snap of what the Curly Maple, Birds Eye Maple and  walnut look like? I am ready to put in an order and can't find a picture of these woods on the DECWARE speaker site.

55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 06/21/11 at 12:51:12

Here are the different woods we have.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/21/11 at 14:58:56

Very nice.

Bob, would the Trapezium do well on a stand, say about 12 inches from a wall?

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #9 - 06/21/11 at 18:13:01

Greg,

They do work very well on a stands I've actually listened to them for for quite a few evenings on stands. The big problem with them on stands is the angle of the front VS how far away you are from them. Working on that now.

As far as a foot away from a wall, far field, I have never tried it. On a desk top, both Rob from Audio Boutique and myself listen to them in niches. My pair are right up against the back wall and about 8" away from the side walls, and they sound great. I towed them in quite a bit.  Last night while standing, installing drivers in sets of ERR's, I was amazed a few times the the sound stage was at the right height even though I was standing.

ZYGI

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/11 at 19:23:53

Thanks Bob. Just pondering the possibility of a pair in the office.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/22/11 at 11:58:06

I'm beyond pondering; I am ordering.

55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/22/11 at 14:56:23

Excellent. Looking forward to your evaluation RR.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print