05/07/24 at 21:25:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions About ZRACK (Read 1134 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Questions About ZRACK
05/20/11 at 15:11:32

I am thinking about buying a ZRACK, possibly two. When I get done with my system, it will have the Ultra preamp, two Torii amps, and possibly a third (definitely a third amp of some sort), an Oppo BDP-95, and a couple of other small devices, including a Woo Audio headphone hanger, two small 2x RAID drive cases from OWC, a Mac mini, and an AppleTV (1st gen).

Should I buy the 32-inch or 42-inch version of the stand? I guess I am wondering if I should allow for additional space between shelves for tubes and cables? The way that signal and power cables go into the Decware components makes me think that the 42-inch might be more pragmatic.

A Mapleshade Samson is still on my list as well, but the price at which it is spec'ing out is making me think about alternatives.

Thanks!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Questions About ZRACK
Reply #1 - 05/20/11 at 20:28:27

Pale,

I would suggest the taller of the two....we can even go a bit taller if you like, at no extra charge. That would depend on what the wood will yield, but I can sometimes get them as tall as 47".

We can also double the width of the Z-Rack, which doesn't double the price, so it's not the same as buying two units, but it does add to the cost.

Just some suggestions,

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/11 at 21:48:03

I've been trying to figure out how to set up my system.

I have a Mini Torii, Torii MK III, ZDAC, ZStage, and CSP2.

Most of these items have switches in the front and back, and some on the sides.  The switches are tiny and I have big clumsy hands.  If you place any of them on any lower shelf, the controls are VERY hard to get at.

My wife won't go near my Decware equipment because she can't figure it out and she's afraid she will burn herself reaching around tubes and transformers.  (Plus nothing is labeled.  Very elegant and "Zen", but not user friendly.)

Short of cramming everything on a wide top shelf, how do you deal with this?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/20/11 at 22:27:19

I pretty much set it and forget it! Smiley

I do know what you mean, it can be quite intimidating and awkward to use all these things.

The ZBox is easy for me, I pretty much have the gain turned all the way up and don't mess with that, and mine has a second input added and I can toggle between two sources that way. Currently I have the CSP2 output going to that and the analog out from my Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-Ray player. I most often have it switched the CSP2 and don't have to mess with that.

The ZDAC-1I use to switch between the coaxial digital out from the Blu-Ray player and the glass optical out from my DVR. I switch back and forth from those with the on switch on the front.

I have the analog out from my Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player going into one input of the CSP2 and the analog out of the ZDAC-1 going into the other. I switch between those to hear each source. I have the gain pots for the CSP2 set and generally don't experiment with them much. At the moment they're about 3/4 of the way turned up.

On the Torii Mk III I generally have the speaker ohmage switches and the front bias switch in one position and I don't mess with them. Right now I have the lower ohm position and the neutral bias position chosen. This seems to be the most accurate tonally for the material I use with the tube complement I have.

I'm not using the second input on the Torii at the moment.

So once set up I just use the volume knob and toggle switch sources on the CSP2, ZDAC-1 and ZBox. I have these behind the Samson rack and the TV and it's not easy to reach but I've gotten really used to it and it's very easy for me now.

It's an interesting question you pose, and I think you alone have the answer for your room and components and their placement!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 05/20/11 at 23:08:35

SeanK

Not sure if you are using the Mini and the III at the same time....I found for the wife, she like the remote control, so a SS amp which is always hooked up to one set of speakers works perfect for her.

I use the SS for break in so speakers can play all day with out burning up tubes. then leaving it set up for the wife.

ANother way to do it would be to buy an Adcom AC conditioner or something like it. What I do is have the DAC and pre and CD player hooked up to the source power taps which turns these items on first, then 30 seconds later the amps turn on.  Then with one push of a button the amps turn off first and the rest of the gear shuts down 30 seconds later. Keep the volume set on everything but the CSP and control the volume from that, once you have it set where you want it.

May not be the perfect set up, but it works for me and the rest of the family.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/11 at 23:23:01

Quote:
I would suggest the taller of the two....we can even go a bit taller if you like, at no extra charge. That would depend on what the wood will yield, but I can sometimes get them as tall as 47".

We can also double the width of the Z-Rack, which doesn't double the price, so it's not the same as buying two units, but it does add to the cost.

ZYGI: this is great info.  Thanks. While I like the idea of a double-wide, I think my more likely configuration is flat screen on the wall, with two ERRs below for center channel, one rack on either side of the screen and then my left and right ERRs on each outside. in that setup, I think the double wide would likely interfere with my not-so-small center channel. Wink

IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/11 at 03:48:43

Lon:  Thanks for the excellent description of your system setup.

I'm still experimenting with all the options, so I need easy access to everything.  I hope to eventually get to the point where I can simplify everything.  

ZYGI:  My wife likes your solution.  She told me to get something simple, with a remote, for her to use.  She also suggested I take all this equipment with its rats nest of wires down to the basement.   Tongue  

I'm not giving up yet.  Thanks for the suggestions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/21/11 at 04:15:41

seank,

Fight the good fight! But then if you lose, I must say that when I lived in Ohio I had the best sound I ever had in that state with a basement system. Smiley

I've never lived in a house in Texas with a basement. They're rare, the "caliche" dirt here is HARD.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/21/11 at 14:11:00

Interesting. I also had my best sound in a basement in Ohio, as well as my warehouse office. Here in the People's Republik though, basements are quite rare, but I do have a lower floor that could eventually be set up as a dedicated listening space. However, not to get too personal, I went through a bout with cancer three years ago, and that changed my view about activities that take me away from my family. So, I would rather integrate the HT and audio systems together, so I don't have to give up the family connections. The acoustics are not ideal, and once in a while  I do miss the man cave, but on balance, it works for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/21/11 at 14:22:05

Hey PR, I would never advocate sacrificing family time. Not in the least. I lost what family I had to cancer when I lost my wife to lymphoma, and hope to have a wife again in the near future (I've got the best possible candidate at hand!) and totally understand.

I'm so happy you came out the good side of that struggle! My best to you and yours.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/22/11 at 14:14:15

Lon, hang in there. My previous wife died of breast cancer at age 36 in 04. I never thought I would get over that. But I did get through it, and I eventually met a wonderful woman who exceeded my hopes and dreams. Life has a way of giving back what is taken.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/22/11 at 14:58:47

Thanks. Wow PR, that was way too young. I thought losing Helen at her age of 52 was way too young.

I'll never be over losing her, but I have done what she asked me to do, be sad for a while and then find someone else to love. Life is too empty without love. Love and music (well, all the art) are what makes life worthwhile.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/22/11 at 15:01:47

Guys,

Sorry to hear about your wives and cancer.  I really feel for you.  Mine was diagnosed with breast cancer about 7 years ago and she was just in her mid-40s.  She's still with me, thank God, but there isn't a day that goes by that I wonder if this will be the day that it returns.  

Going through this with a loved one puts a lot of other stuff in perspective.  Glad you all didn't loose yours.

Best,
--Michael

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/22/11 at 15:41:39

Michael, thanks, and glad you have a success story to tell. Here's hoping that you have your love with you for many many years.

At the moment my mother is undergoing daily radiation after a partial mastectomy. . . she's doing well, especially considering she is 79. I'm so glad that they caught her tumor early. Real early.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/22/11 at 17:57:01

Thanks, Lon, and all the best to you and your mom.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/22/11 at 22:08:44

Michael, that's great about your wife, and while I know you cannot help but look over your shoulder—heck I do it now—here's hoping you have many more years together. Lon, all the best to you and your mom. Glad they caught it early.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print