Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Magnetic Isolation
05/16/11 at 15:45:39

Okay I know I may have stepped beyond the pale in many persons' eyes, but I believe that isolation products can make a difference when one gets to the point that they have a system as revealing as a Decware based system.

Realistically I think it's part tuning and part isolation as total isolation is probably impossible to achieve. I've been experimenting over the years wtih home-made and store bought items and there is definitely a difference between components on a basic or crappy stand of some sort, components on a great stand, and components on a great stand also with individual isolation or coupling items.

This can be maddeningly time-consuming and mind-bending to an extent that tube-rolling and I suppose room treatment can be. I would in fact compare the results in many ways to tube-rolling as far as level and nature of sonic changes. And I've driven myself a little nuts now and then pursuing this end. But then I've also astonished myself at how for instance just changing the type of ball in use with one of Herbie Audio Labs "IsoCups" can alter the sonic signature.

So this brings me to a question:  has anyone here any experience with magnetic isolation items?  I know Clearaudio makes several types and there is also a component I only see available from Britain called NoSpikes that are offered (a bit cheaper than the Clearaudio versions). I haven't really found much info or user comments on these on the web and so wouldn't be surprised if there's little to be gained here, but I'm interested, and when I next have audio dollars I might try one out. . . but I'd rather hear a bit first. Share if you can.

And if you think I'm nuts to think isolation/coupling amounts to a hill of beans, well you may be right, feel free to tell me that, but I'll not bother to defend my viewpoint. Smiley I've managed to convince myself, and others' ears have also admitted hearing differnces.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Magnetic Isolation
Reply #1 - 05/17/11 at 14:51:37

Looks as if I guessed right and no one has any experience. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/11 at 17:51:57

Ok, so you're a little nuts, but that doesn't make you a bad person!  

The ClearAudio devices are some sort of mag-lev isolation device.  Seems pretty fancy and expensive ($200!!!) way to levitate your turntable.  

I found that a massive shelf, isolated from the rest of the stand, works very well.  I use a granite slab left over from the sink cutout in my kitchen counter.  I placed it on top of three of those 'stress ball' thingies you see at the checkout lines at Staples or Office Depot, which isolates and decouples it from the stand.  It is the perfect size for my tt, and accents the decor.  It weighs a ton, and is impervious to loud bass, people dancing, or other vibrations.  Total cost was less than a buck for the stress balls (well, aside from replacing the kitchen counters, which was due anyway).  Works great.

Isolation / decoupling works on items that have moving mechanical parts, but is not necessary on other devices, IMHO.  Tubes are all microphonic to some degree, so tube dampers make sense as well.  

IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/11 at 18:51:07

Hi Lon,

Sorry, I have no experience with Magnetic Isolation.

Grant Fidelity sells several stands that use MI.

You might want to call them and get their opinions.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Nobility-WMP-1A-MKII-Magnetic-Levitation-Platform....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/17/11 at 19:48:14

ski bum,
Good recommendations. I tried some stone platforms before, didn't quite do it for me, I don't have a turntable and it seems to have a signature I don't find pleasant with digital, at least in the past.
I have a Mapleshade Samson rack, and I have 4" maple platforms within the rack so I'm pretty well covered for mass etc. And I really like the Herbie's Audio Lab isolation products that I have, every time I remove them to see if I can do without them, they go right back in.They really are the finishing touches to the sound. Once you get electrical power to your components handled one way or another, that's the final frontier. I really don't think it makes that big a difference until you have clean power to your components.

It's just that the magnetic levitation seems as if it might be a really cool and complete method of isolation to me, and if it were AMAZING according to ears I would trust, I'd save up and I'd try using the Magix on the Torii on it's maple platform.  It would be expensive, but if it were that good, well, I'd be nuts enough to try it.

seank,
Nice idea they have there. Since I already have a great rack that this platform wouldn't fit on, it's not the best choice for me.

Doing research it appears that the Clearaudio Magix are the only ones that actually manage to levitate a component with only contact to the top plate of the magnetic coupler.  Quite a feat! It's just an interesting product. . . that may or may not be the cat's meow. Something to think about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print