Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:57:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vinyl playback..need improvement (Read 5649 times)
dla405j

vinyl playback..need improvement
05/03/11 at 23:28:03

I havea zen se 84 with hazen mod that doesn't seem to have enough power for vinyl playback...my integrated decware sounds better but I need to know how to make a turntable match well with these amps.  Even though I have high output carts, grado mm etc. and various phono amps the result is the same.  Because cd player output is at 2 volts and I use a monarchy dip to even boost that signal the match/output is better.  How do I boost analog/tt output to match my decware amps...I have a decware cs2 preamp among others and still the sound doesn't sound as full as with other higher power tube amps...your suggestions are appreciated...what am I missing here??
dla405j

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: vinyl playback..need improvement
Reply #1 - 05/03/11 at 23:42:42

Hmmmm.. . well the obvious answer is get in line for a new Torii. With the CSP2 and the Torii you should be right there. The 84C does have its limitations. . . .

Others may have different advice, but in my opinion, with the CSP2 not doing it for you, you need to have the heavy Decware hitter, the Mk III, in the system.  It will give you the Decware sound, and much more power.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: vinyl playback..need improvement
Reply #2 - 05/04/11 at 03:26:26

I might not be understanding your question correctly, but it sounds to me that you need a phono preamp with more gain. The ZP3 gives you 42dB of gain. I run my SE84CS with vinyl and have no problems. But if you need more gain you can always try out a step up transformer to get more gain. They are usually used for low output carts but it might be what you need to get your 2V output.

IP Logged
dla405j

Re: vinyl playback..need improvementohm Triangle titus
Reply #3 - 05/04/11 at 16:56:49

I'm now redoing my zen vinyl playback; I switched back to decware speakers, added decware IC's and speaker cables, and added a solid state Dyna rebuild by Van Alstine (pat-5)..then matched decware integrated with decware preamp plus Cary/aes phono preamp..my only question now is what speakers match well with the integrated...am I right that 8 ohm is better than 4 0hm single-drivers??  I have 8 ohm boston acoustics cr9's that sound pretty good but also can match/try 4 ohm triangle titus...zen redo now sounds great with decware speakers and solid state amp....more slam..any addition ideas welcomed...ps..everything sounded better after I played new zen hookup for 45 minutes and everything warmed up...I expect more improvement when cables/IC's improve with use...haven't used them in 2 years although they are used!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print