Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:25:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What cap was used on the DM944? (Read 1777 times)
bladesmith
Ex Member

What cap was used on the DM944?
04/08/11 at 22:21:05

Does anyone know what cap was used on the DM944 (4 ohms, circa 2009)? Is it worth changing it to a clarity cap like on the DM945? Is it easy to get the driver out, what values and series will I need? All the best, Richard.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: What cap was used on the DM944?
Reply #1 - 04/09/11 at 00:18:00

Richard,

The 944's used a 3.9 cap while the 945's use a PX3.3 ClarityCap. You could go all the way up to the MR range if you like.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/11 at 19:45:31

Zygi, thank you for the help on the caps. Is it better for me to keep to 3.9 for my 944's? What brand and series of cap was used in my 944 speakers please? There seems to be some sort of soft black flexible sealant round my drivers, if I remove my drivers to get at the cap will this sealant need to be re-applied? Which driver should I remove to get at the cap please? I take it there is one cap per speaker? Will there be much difference in the sound quality if I exchange the current cap? IE is it worth doing in your opinion?
Have a great weekend! Richard.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 04/10/11 at 03:40:34

Hey Richard,

The wood thing has been bothering me since you first asked about it....

Your speakers are walnut as in that time frame we only shipped one set to the U.K. They were originally ordered in Sept. '07 so they may not have been built until Jan. '08

I'm still not sure about the black flexible sealant, are you sure its not a piece of foam gasket? If not the previous owner may have put the sealant on there.

Either way, you should be able to get access to the cap from the terminal cup on the back, as the cap is soldered directly to the terminal on the cup.  I'd stick with the 3.9 cap myself.
ZYGI  

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/11/11 at 09:56:51

Zygi, It would appear that my speakers are possibly not as new as I was told (eBay blurb). I will have to have a good look on the box to see if there are any labels with dates. Either way the speakers were a bargain, sound great and I don't think they had been fully broken in as they sounded edgy for the first couple of days. Think I will stick with the current cap for the moment. The phrase "if it ain't broke", comes to mind. All the best, Richard.

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/11 at 00:50:06

Zygi, I took the back off of the speaker (terminal cup) and had a look to see what is what. A very nicely made cabinet  with good soldering. I did not know you used the solen MKP cap. That is a nice type of cap, so I am not going to change it over. Thank you again for your help and advice. All the best, Richard.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 04/12/11 at 01:23:29

Richard,

All the best to you as well. Enjoy your speakers, that is what it is all about.....

ZYGI

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/11 at 17:59:00

Zygi, if I was to "upgrade" the caps in my speakers to clarity cap 3.9uF, which Vdc should I go for? The SA range is offered in 630Vdc but the ESA range is offered in 250Vdc or 630Vdc. Is this worth my effort? IE will there be a noticable improvement in the sound or are these speakers already taken as far as they can go with the current drivers?
All the best, Richard.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 05/22/11 at 22:31:15

Richard,

The PX range is the only one with the 250Vdc, the SA and ESR are both offered in 630Vdc. But the voltage in this case isn't really the issue, its how much do you want to spend and how much of an improvement you are looking for. Either way, neither are going to break the bank.

In my personal speakers I use the ESR range....

ZYGI

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/23/11 at 11:17:54

Hi Zygi, thank you for you response. If you go to www.hificollective.co.uk they have the "new 250Vdc" ERA clarity cap in 3.9uF/250Vdc. Would this be the correct voltage to use in my speakers? I sorry to ask this very basic question but I do not wish to damage anything and I do not know/understand is voltages are important in speakers with one cap as a crossover. I have looked for the ESR range but they only seem to do the ESA and MR range and the latter is a bit too much money for my pocket. If I was to use the ERA cap what sort of improvement could I expect to hear? I am hoping to improve transparency and get as close as possible to a live like sound. It is not bad at all at the moment. The solen is called a fast cap, does this mean it's response is super fast? If this is indeed the case, is the clarity cap as quick?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 05/23/11 at 13:16:27

Richard,

The 250Vdc will work just fine in your speakers, as far as the voltage goes. The 250Vdc are just smaller than there 630Vdc brothers, in your case physical size won't be an issue either. The voltage rating will not effect or change the crossover frequency in any way.

Fast Cap...just a name, the Clarity Caps are smoother and more detailed that the Solens.

I don't know what the differences are between the ESR range and the ESA range. it just might be the difference in what they sell to the UK vs the US. The SA range that we can buy here, are red in color and the SA range direct fromt he UK are black. They may just use a different color coding for different countries, I don't know for sure. The CarityCaps are made in the UK so it might be easier for you to find out what the differences are.  

I also sent you a PM

ZYGI

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 00:00:53

I just sent you an email in response to the PM. Would you say the clarity cap SA/ESR has the same top end as the solen or is it rolled off or has the clarity cap a better top end? I have read a few reviews on the solen and the two clarity caps, but you make the speakers so you have the most realistic point of view.

All the best,

Richard.

IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/07/11 at 10:28:16

Well the Clarity cap ESA 3.3uF 250VDC caps went in with ease. Over 100 hours burn in has passed and I must say the sound was very good with the standard Solen cap (3uF). But these clarity cap ESA have substantially increased the detail, sound stage and over all presentation. A real worth while upgrade that did not break the bank. Thanks you again for your guidance Zygi.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #13 - 06/08/11 at 04:25:18

Good to hear Richard... Wish we could get them here in the US. Keep in touch.

ZYGI

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/24/14 at 02:42:32

To ZYGI: You said that you use the ESR range in your personal speakers. Can you elaborate on what speakers and was the diiference sufficient for you? Also since I'm leaning on the Clarity Cap ESA or MR as an upgrade for my DM945, is there a big enough sound difference to fork out for the MR range since that is like 5 times more than the ESA? I'm not a fan of the high frequency being too clinical or anal.

Thanks,
Kevin

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #15 - 02/24/14 at 23:45:19

Hey Kevin,

Right now I'm using Mundorf Supreme in my HR-Ones and the Mundorf ZN Tin Foil  In my dual DNA speakers.

ZN tend to be a little more detail and pretty smooth while the Supremes are super smooth with a bit less detail.

Zygi

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/10/14 at 04:00:27

Hi Zygi, were you the one that built my passive horn cabinets? I just want to say that the build and finish was top notch as usual. The horn design looks more complex in person than I thought. Anyways, I decided on the Clarity MR to put in my DM945s. One speaker that I'd like to order in the future is the DNA but only if I can get the original Tang Band driver. What driver are you using in your DNAs and can you comment on the overall sound of the DNA compared to say the ERR or the 945/horn cabinet combo? Thanks

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #17 - 03/11/14 at 02:32:30

Kevtn8,

No I can not take credit for those, both the DM and companions are mass produced out west.

In both my single and dual DNA's I'm using SB acoustics mid-woofers. In the single, right now I have to SB acoustics tweeter, where as the dual has the HiVi RT1.3WE the same as on the ERRx's

Comparisons, hard to describe but here it goes...

ERRx Best of the three in a small spare bedroom setting, you'ed think you were in a much larger room. Huge soundstage yet very focused!  Very fast, detailed a little leaner bass but still real good bass. The best bass of all the RL-1 thru ERR's to date. Surprising how tall the soundstage is compared to previous RL-1-ERR's.

DNA with TB driver. Detailed, smooth as silk. Maybe leaning towards a little lean, but for the most they are right in the middle of the road, so to speak. Bass doesn't get as low as the DM without the companion cabinet yet produces more bass than it has the right to using a single driver.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/11/14 at 18:39:37

Kevtn8,

I have DIY DNA's and have put in the Tang Band and then more recently the woofer/tweeter combo that Zygi talks about.

Anyway, my .02 is that the Tang Band DNA has better focus and imaging than the DM945 combo, but the DM945 combo has better soundstage and lower bass.

The woofer tweeter DNA is kind of a cross between the two and I think it actually has lower bass.  DM945 still tops it in soundstage.

I'd like to build the dual horns Zygi mentions as well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print