Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii or Taboo? (Read 10242 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Mini Torii or Taboo?
04/06/11 at 16:21:33

Hi All:

I am the happy, valve-drunk owner of a new Taboo. One day after the arrival of my Taboo, I sold my RSA Apache headphone. It retails for 3x the price of the Taboo. So, now, the tube sound has to come home as well. The question this time will be: a second Taboo [nice ROI on tube rolling] or a Mini Torii for what will primarily be a headphone listening station?

I searched for discussion on this question in both the Taboo and Mini forums, but if this was talked about, I missed it. Regrets if so.

Advantages I see to Taboo:

1. Lucid Mode makes a significant difference, particularly in the soundstage of the Audez'e LCD-2 cans.
2. It is cheaper, but it does seem to benefit from a front end like the CSP or ZSTAGE, at least based on what I have read here and over on Head-Fi. So, the price differential is not a significant factor for me.

Advantages I see to Mini:

1. More tubes. Okay, maybe that doesn't count, and some might even see it as a disadvantage.
2. I expect to pair up a set of ERRs with whichever amp I choose, in a small room, and the optional switch-out on the Torii is nice.

As I read the design notes and other information about the two amps, though, it seems they have very different purposes, and the approaches to the problem solving in each design sugegsts there might be much deeper differences in the sound of the two amps.

Anyway, I would love to hear opinions from folks, especially those who have, or have had, both. TIA!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Mini Torii or Taboo?
Reply #1 - 04/06/11 at 16:48:31

Pale Rider,

Your point about both amps are in line.

I have both, they are different, so I roll amps from time to time. You couldn't do that if you bought a second Taboo. Its like getting a second system, when you want to change things out.

Just my two cents,
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/11 at 19:30:07

Thanks ZYGI. I think, at the end of the day, wanting to hear the difference would ultimately outweigh the tube "inventory efficiency" of having identical amps.

I wonder if there would be any shot at getting a Lucid mode circuit in the Mini?

Greg

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/11 at 03:07:35

Obviously you need to experience both amps. Rolling amps is a great idea. If you wanted to have two TABOOS you could buy a CSP2 to boost one of them.

The main difference between the two is that the MINI TORII has incredible stereo separation - because it is dual mono. However the delightful treat in the TABOO is lucid mode. The MINI TORII is a more evolved design with the tube regulation of the inputs and outputs and tube rectification. the MINI takes a low input level source and brings it to deafening volume.  The TABOO will take a 2 volt signal and bring it to an acceptable volume.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/11 at 04:49:09

RR, thanks. I think you're right.

Lucid Mode is a killer feature. By itself, it was almost enough to justify a second Taboo, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Mini this afternoon.

IP Logged
toddathan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/31/11 at 17:08:16

Pale Rider:  Any thoughts on the comparison between the Taboo and Mini Torii as headphone amps?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/31/11 at 17:20:57

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/31/11 at 19:19:15

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/31/11 at 20:24:23

Lon, I think I like the Halloween graphic better. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1