Send Topic Print
Torii tubes (Read 5881 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Torii tubes
03/23/11 at 00:36:58

Since I am soon to be getting my Torii should I go ahead and get some spare tubes? What kind of life should I expect from the tubes? I'm reading 2 years under normal use, but what is normal use. I normaly have music on for 4-6 hours a day 7 days a week, is that normal.
I guess part 2 of this question is what kind of tubes should I get, the same as stock, a different brand, different types? As a newbe to this crazy end of this hobby I'm looking for a little guidence.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Re: Torii tubes
Reply #1 - 03/23/11 at 16:15:19

Seems like "normal" use to me.

I'd start with a replacement set of the stock tubes as backups if you're the nervous/perfectionist type.  (It's hard to go too far wrong with the tubes that the maker of the amp you picked uses).  After that I'd read up around here and again start with Steve's suggestions (who would know better?).

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/11 at 02:31:37

I have had my Torii for a little more than a week so cant give a real experienced answer but I believe Steve does not run these tubes hard.  Anything is possible as far as tube failure so you can take my advice if you want, but I am letting the amp run in until I decide if I want to change any tubes to compliment the system.  No use having a second set of tubes lying around if I decide to switch to a 6DJ8 as a driver. If you want an extra power tube or two it would be best to have Steve do a matched set of 6 from the beginning.
 I have a 1939 Philco console radio that has a few of the stock Philco tubes in it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/26/11 at 00:17:58

One  of the two RCA 5U4GB rectifiers that are my favorite for the Torii Mk III (which actually came with the Torii Mk II that I bought from Bob) has become problematic, so today I replaced them with cryo'd Electro Harmonix 5U4GBs I got from Ron Sheldon at cryoset.com and I'm shocked at how good they sound. If you can sound as good as old RCAs, you're doing something right.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/11 at 00:57:19

I agree with Walt.  This gives you a chance to to "take stock", that is, establish a meaningful point of reference, of the unit.

Tube Rolling is what can make using tube amps so much fun.  Or it can drive one to distraction.  The sound you like will be highly subjective and system dependent.  For example, I look at all the possibilities that the Mini Torii presents - incredible.   

Maybe having a sticky about Tube Rolling would be a good idea here. There are all sorts of  interesting posts about tube rolling scattered all around the site.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/11 at 00:55:54

I find that every tube in the TORII makes a notable difference, from regulators, to rectifiers, to power, and inputs. And different combinations therein sound pretty different, some combinations reaching an amazing synergy and stimulating amazing musical involvement. But this many choices can potentially be a labyrinth too.

So I also agree that the stock tubes will sound good, and they will give you a frame of reference, which is important. Tubes have subtle but potentially profound differences if you know what I mean, and finally choices are dependent on your system, room, synergy of it all, and the resulting tastes you develop around the sound you like best.

So if you start from a known, it is easier to determine what direction to point to for changes. And the Decware tubes are well chosen for synergy and warrantied for a long enough time for them to burn in (in the unlikely event of early failure). Then you can get a good taste of them and know better what direction you might want to go if changing tubes becomes compelling.

I have done a lot of tube exploration and really enjoy it. It is all in the quest for the ultimate involvement with the music, and certain tubes sound particularly good with some tubes and less so with others. So finally, getting just the right synergy for my tastes reveals the music in ways that satisfy me most. And with a good selection of tubes, I can shift this any time I want. Each combination then reveals the music a little differently... This can be really exciting for me. By changing it up a bit, the shift affects the mind/body response and therefore how I enjoy the music...a shift of equally satisfying quality making the music suck me in a different way and keeping my interest peaked.

Lots of folks get over rolling though, another good reason to hang with Steve's choices at least for a while until you get to know your new music system.
Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print