Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:37:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphone Experiences w/ Taboo? (Read 8117 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Headphone Experiences w/ Taboo?
03/20/11 at 03:06:46

Hi All:

I did some searching here and—maybe I was a poor searcher—but I was surprised to find little information about headphone experiences with the Taboo. My Audez'e LCD-2 cans are on the way. They are the primary reason I ordered a Taboo. My current headphone amp is a Ray Samuels Audio Apache, and it is plenty robust to drive the LCD-2s, but I wanted an excuse to start putting Decware gear into my system, and this seemed like a good one. Right now, my Apache is driving a set of Sennheiser HD800s, with occasional use of a Darth Beyer Terminator v.4. Sometimes I will plug my JH 13 Pro IEMs, as well. The Apache is a very nice headphone amp, but I suspect that once I get the Taboo set up, there will be no going back.

There are several Decware users over at Head-Fi, but I wanted to ask the folks here what headphones they have used with the Taboo, and what they liked and didn't.

Cheers!

Greg

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Jfat
Ex Member

Re: Headphone Experiences w/ Taboo?
Reply #1 - 12/21/11 at 15:08:43

Hey Pale Rider,

it's now Day 2 with my new Taboo amp driving my LCD-2 cans. Up to now I've been using an old Head Room (The Max) can amp and while it was not bad for a SS amp, I found myself yearnin' for a little tube lovin'.

So it's Day 2 (maybe 8 hrs total listening). I tried patching the Taboo direct from a line out from my Joule Electra Pre Amp, hmmm,...sounds good, but not a lot of gain, I maxed it out without imploding my eardrums (not that that is my primary focus). I then tried variable into the Taboo from Aux/Tape out on the Joule Electra, now I have a little more gain potential and the sound borders on sublime and the unit is not even broken in yet.

The Joule Electra Pre Amp has the ability to adjust output impedance, but I need to open the case and install jumpers (MU follower), I may try that this weekend,...oh, wait it's Christmas, I guess I'll wait till the New Year.

Anyway, this Decware Amp sounds sweet with the Audeze cans. I'll post again when the unit is more broken in. I might even try direct from my Bel Canto DAC, but then I won't be able to use my Krell SACD player. I also thought of using an input tube with more gain.

Congrats on your Taboo amp and happy listening!.  :)

Cheers

Jeff

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/12 at 03:55:43

I received my office system TABOO back from service; having had a replacement volume pot and the vaunted headphone jack. I included a request for a speaker cutoff switch. The amp came back to me working fine, of course. I find that it will drive my Sennheiser HD580's without a problem. However, I will never know what it is like to use the phones with speakers playing at low volume; the speaker cutoff switch, when in speaker mode, cuts off the headphone circuit. I am fine with that.

My problem is that I have a ZEN SE84C+ in my office setup and I am alternating between using it and my TABOO through speakers. Not that this is the problem; I just can't make up my mind right now which one to retain in that setup. I have no idea which one will win out over the other. Both of them sit atop my Marantz 5 disc carousel.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/12 at 01:13:37

In a direct comparison between the TABOO headphone output and the CSP2+ using Sennheiser HD580's the TABOO had a more forward presentation. This became particularly evident with vocals.  

The overall impression from using these phones with the TABOO is that the sound seems somewhat livelier, with more sparkle than using the headphone jack of the CSP2+. The bass response appears equal between the two units. I can thus confirm here that it is not necessary to spend $500.00 or so for planar phones to enjoy the TABOO as a head amp.  

For this comparison the CD signal came through the CSP2+ to the TABOO.

The CSP2+ has a Sylvania 5U4G; 6N1P-EV drivers and a GE 6BQ7 in the front position. The TABOO has a Tung Sol 5U4G, Sylvania black plate 6BQ5's and a Sylvania black plate 12AU7 out front.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/28/12 at 00:58:34

I changed the front tube of the CSP2+ to a 1950's Sylvania 6BZ7; the input tube in the TABOO was a 1953 Sylvania black plate 12AT7; not a 12AU7 as I had indicated above.

Further listening reconfirms my initial impression from listening between the 2 amps; the TABOO has the more forward presentation and more sparkle as between the two. Each one is great in its own right, but the TABOO with these phones seems more lively.

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print