05/04/24 at 20:23:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Select amp (Read 4351 times)
TomekZ
Ex Member

FS: Select amp
03/04/11 at 17:13:45

For Sale: a mint condition Decware Select. Comes with several used SV83, four new SV83, some old 6DJ8 driver tubes, and RCA, Sylvania, and Ruby powersupply  tubes. I am the second own of this amp which is of 2002 vintage. Asking $475. Selling in order to travel. ~Tom

IP Logged
Eureka Springs
Ex Member

Re: FS: Select amp
Reply #1 - 03/05/11 at 20:05:41

I think I am very interested in this. I know I am very interested in Decware since I've been reading here for months. A couple questions... I  just purchased mid 1950's Klipschorns.. are they too efficient for the best sound from this particular amp? And though the info page says this amp  may not need a preamp, I know I will want one soon since i live with music, not in a special room, all sorts of audio, phone, cd, mp3, tape, and yes, 2 channel movies.. and will want a remote to switch inputs/control volume. So suggested types/names of preamps for an amp like this would be very helpful.

Thanks for any and all feedback.... it's an honor to be here among artists aficionados.

IP Logged
TomekZ
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/06/11 at 20:13:08

I expect the Klipsch would sound fantastic with this amp .Decware amps are known for being very quiet with regard to hum and hiss. The Decware amps can also be very dynamic and really make these already lively speakers truly life-like. I've tried a few preamps of the tube variety. A Decware pre adds warmth; a Mapletree with octal tubes adds fuller body. These have been two favorite preamps--not that I've tried many.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/11 at 18:25:10

Forte II user here.  Some things I've noticed...despite the 99db sensitivity, one SE84 is just barely adequate, but two is more than sufficient for ear-blistering volumes.  You've got a bit more wiggle room with the higher sensitivity Khorns, so the single Select is probably sufficient.  FWIW, I prefer one SE84 in stereo over two bridged (I just don't listen that loud, I guess).  Even if you can't achieve marching band in your living room volume, and you won't, what you do get will be sublime.    

IP Logged
Mark Williams
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/15/11 at 00:13:13

[/color]Hi,
I'll chime in here.   I run my select with La Scalas.   Any good tubed preamp with gain of about 12 to 18 dB should work.   My PrimaLuna Prologue 3 has 12 dB and venerable Conrad-Johnson PV10A has 18 dB.

Both sound great and give me plenty of volume.

Mark
[color=#ff0000]

IP Logged
TomekZ
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 21:13:06

Hi everyone, Before I post this at Audiogon where at I go by the name of "skyboy" (lots of great feedback), I will offer this lovely amp here for $440 shipped anywhere in the continental US. Kiss

IP Logged
TomekZ
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/19/11 at 15:30:47

Thanks, sold through this forum. Smiley

IP Logged
ilianto
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/11 at 08:51:42

I am using my c with  Tannoy Stirling and its just simply incredible! put my highly mode sunaudio 2a3 to shame!
Ilianto

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print