05/05/24 at 08:41:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
V-Cap & Duelund mods (Read 4893 times)
bumcat
Verified Member

V-Cap & Duelund mods
01/16/11 at 14:54:42

This is my first post (forgive me if it doesn't come out just right). I thought I'd post in this forum as this topic is likely relevant to more than 1 amp model.

I've had the pleasure of listening to Steve's Torii-mkII for the past 2 years and the amp sounds wonderful and seems bulletproof. Last summer I sent my 10 year old Merlin VSM speakers back to Merlin and had them upgraded. The largest improvement by far was the addition of the Duelund VSF caps which provided tremendous improvement across the board. From this experience and after talking to Steve a couple of times I bit the bullet and installed the 0.1 uF, 600V V-Cap CuTF coupling caps in my Torii-mkII last October. Knowing these take forever to break-in I tracked my listening hours. I'm now at about 350 hrs and the amp is simply unbelievable. The improvements in definition, extension, punch, dynamics and overall coherency match or exceed what the Duelund caps did for my speakers. The sound is alive, yet relaxed and easy to listen to. Before the CuTF I was reluctant to try teflon caps as some thought them slightly leaner in tonal balance (and I love the warm tone of the Decware amp). From what I read about the CuTF (and am now hearing) this is not the case with the CuTF. The tonal balance is every bit as warm and seductive as before in my opinion.

I've seen one other post referencing these caps last year. I'm curious if anyone else has tried them. I could not be more happy with this mod (except for the long wait for break-in).

Amp: Decware Torii-mkII (CCE & V-Cap CuTF mods); Spkrs: Merlin VSM-MXr; CDP: Rega Saturn; Analog: SimAudio Moon LP 5.3, Well Tempered, ET-2.5, Benz Glider; Cables: Decware, Audience AU-24
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: V-Cap & Duelund mods
Reply #1 - 01/16/11 at 21:10:42

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print