Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:13:04 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fighting the good fight: Recommending Decware (Read 34893 times)
Sysygy
Ex Member

Re: Fighting the good fight: Recommending Decware
Reply #50 - 03/02/11 at 03:29:43

I recently recomended a Mini Torii and it lead to communication with Decware and to an order.

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 03/07/11 at 19:35:14

I know Steve has had some bad experiences in the past with reviewers, but why not do a room (and do it right) at the next Rocky Mountain Audio Fest?  (Doing it right means reserving a decent room, having plenty of equipment there, and setting up well in advance.  Too many vendors blow in at the last minute with more excuses than equipment and offer a crummy presentation.)

Why don't some of the faithful here post equipment reviews of their favorite Decware pieces on AudioCircle/etc.?  You could all pile on the raves.

Speaking of AudioCircle, some vendors have teamed up, to the benefit of both.  The prime example is Audio by Van Alstine and Salk Speakers.  They promote each other's stuff and present together at the big shows.

Years ago Randy held an audiofest which I thought went quite well.  While not do more of them?

When I picked up my FTA-2000 speakers from Bob Brines he gave me a business card that had a picture of my speakers on it.  You'd better believe I've been a card carrying member of Bob's club ever since.  And I pull it out whenever I can slide the conversation towards audio.

Frankly it looks like Steve is happy to remain at his current level of production and if that's the case, good for him.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 03/08/11 at 15:30:37

I notice on the Steve Hoffman forums that a Torii Mk III is out for review with the Tone Publication mag. That should be good exposure, I'd be very surprised if it's anything less than a great review.

Good suggestions below about posting reviews on Audio Circle, etc. I'm "internetted" out, I need to spend less time online not more, and I'm also more and more turned off by the idea of "reviewing" amps etc, it's all so subjective, and I find cliche's like "the musicians are in the room" etc. so very wearying and not really "telling." But for those who know how to translate these I guess the process can be helpful.

The truth is that Decware HAS been growing, incrementally, and there is now a fully fleshed out Decware line on offer and with carefully managed growth more to come I'm sure. I'm glad I'm a part of the community and that Decware has been an important part of my life for over a dozen years.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #53 - 03/11/11 at 01:40:32

Quote  "Lon" - "Good suggestions below about posting reviews on Audio Circle, etc. I'm "internetted" out, I need to spend less time online not more, and I'm also more and more turned off by the idea of "reviewing" amps etc, it's all so subjective, and I find cliche's like "the musicians are in the room" etc. so very wearying and not really "telling." But for those who know how to translate these I guess the process can be helpful. "

Hi Lon,

It's good to see that you are still contributing to the forum and "fighting the good fight".  It's a shame that more folks are unaware that there is something much better than the often expensive mass produced and "name recognition" audio gear .....

I guess I'm guilty of being one of the worst "offenders" in the "musicians in the room" club .....

As you suggest, the phrase may be overused, but sometimes helpful to those who feel that they can translate the term correctly ..... but it goes a bit deeper with me.

When I say that an audio system puts the performers in the room, it has to be something pretty special.  From my experience, this effect usually happens with very high quality recordings ..... more often than not of very sparse recordings with a minimum number of instruments and voices.  It seems that the vocals have the ability to be "in the room" much more often than the instruments.  I am a huge fan of female voice, and when the vocalist is so palpable and three dimensional that I get the feeling that she is singing to me personally I have no problem describing that sensation as being "in the room". Admittedly, these recordings are not the norm ..... but I have a good number of them in my collection that qualify.

But, the recording is only part of what is needed .....
I have heard more audio gear and systems than I care to think about over the years.  Some of the systems were very good ..... some not so good.  Of all the systems that I have heard, I have honestly only heard a very few that would qualify as having the ability to pull off this effect.

One such system was at a DecFest at Steve's old place.  A single Zen Select was driving a pair of Parker Audio Crusaders and a pair of SO Imperial subs in parallel.  The effect was incredible and made the jaws of several seasoned music lovers drop to the ground.

Another system was at the HornFest a few years ago with a pair of The Horns being driven by a $30,000.00 GM-70 based amplifier designed and built by Jim Dowdy (the Dowdy Lama).  I have been to live events that were not nearly as captivating and everyone in attendance was stunned.

Two other systems that pull this off on a regular basis are the system I have at home and a very similar system at Parker Audio Dave's home.  Both of these systems have very similar and superb front ends, high resolution loudspeakers and custom built DH-SET amplification.

It should be noted that all of the systems mentioned above feature loudspeakers with either no crossover components or very, very simple ones consisting of a single capacitor between the mid-bass driver and high quality "tweeter", either a ribbon or a Heil Air Motion Transformer.  It's only my opinion (for what it's worth), but I have never heard a more complex speaker that could get me close enough to the music to put the vocalist "in the room".

I am fully aware that the bridge between live and recorded music can never be fully crossed ..... but the systems mentioned above have the ability to get me close enough to the music that I become lost in the performance. As to whether the performers are in my room or I am in the recorded space with them can be debated ..... but either way, it's a good place to be .....

Stay well and happy listening,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 03/11/11 at 05:18:26

Hi Randy, Good to see you posting today.

I think in a way my problem is in the semantics of "the singer/musician/instrument is in the room." Because to my ears and mind there never has been a reproduction of a musician or instrument in the room. There have been some startlingly accurate playbacks of recordings of instruments and singers and players in a room. But no recording has ever really been like the real thing. I live with instruments in my rooms (12 guitars, 5 basses including a full size contrabass violin, a keyboard and two drumsets at the moment) and I know what these sound like. Recordings are just different from real musical events, fundamentally, in ways that I'm never fooled into thinking a musician or singer is THERE. The more a reviewer talks about this sort of thing, to be honest, the more I wonder what they really know about a musical event!

I know it's a metaphor, I know it's an analogy, I know it's a way of describing, but . . . it's just not what I hear and feel.

Anyway, there are amazing systems that can reproduce recordings. And they're incredible resources. I'd rather have one of these than an automobile. Smiley In fact, I do have a nice system rather than an automobile!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #55 - 03/11/11 at 13:08:43

Yep ..... that's why most of the folks I know are driving $40,000.00 automobiles and I drive a Ford Focus ..... but, they have their Bose Waves or big box store rack systems and I have what I have .....

Take care,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 03/11/11 at 23:49:09

It occurs to me that many of the leading Decheads:

1. Don't get "off the farm" much, so they'd have a hard time comparing Decware to other gear;

2. Forum members measure the worth of their comments by their number of posts, which simply takes lots of participation;

3. On top of that Decheads would have a hard time gaining the respect of others without experience with non-Decware stuff to allow outsiders gauge/compare opinions against.

jeff

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 03/12/11 at 01:03:22

Those are likely valid observations Jeff!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print