05/05/24 at 09:07:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo or mini torii? (Read 4031 times)
FA
Ex Member

Taboo or mini torii?
01/05/11 at 03:16:09

Would someone that has heard both amps provide some insight as to the  differences in character one can reliably expect to notice between these two?

I would like to drop either of the above into a system based around a 2.5v source and no preamp. Accompanying speakers can be run either at 96 db at 4 ohms or 90 db at 16 ohms.

When I owned select #12 years ago a 4 ohm load was nearly ideal. I'm not sure if that trends continues in Decwares current designs.

Thank you very kindly,

F A

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo or mini torii?
Reply #1 - 01/05/11 at 13:03:45

I have owned two of each. No preamp - MINI TORII hands down. It will take a 2.5V source and bring it to deafening volume if you want.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
FA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/11 at 15:48:21

Thanks for chiming in. I hoped you might.

I recall a post in which you, I believe, concluded that with stock power tubes and no preamp, the taboo sounded thinner then the mini with the same source. I can't recall if you mentioned the output voltage of that source. I suspect the taboo is rather easy to under drive and a lack of body is certainly a symptom of that condition.

I'm a bit concerned, (perhaps needlessly) the mini torii may be over driven by my source. Have you found yours to sound a bit hard or etched and been driven to tube roll to compensate?

Have you tried both amps with your 4 ohm speakers?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/11 at 01:13:23

The Select will play louder than a TABOO with the same source. I do not intend on TABOO bashing, just be aware that how you employ these amplifiers determines what you will reap in return. the 4 OHM speakers do fine with either amp.

I would not say the TABOO is "thin" or that you are "underdriving" it without the preamp. You can simply use the volume all the way up at times; depending upon the speakers, room configuration, etc., you might not need to use full volume. I did using one at home without a preamp, and 89 DB 8 OHM bookshelf speakers for a while. After adding the preamp it was spectacular. The LUCID MODE is unique to the TABOO, also the CCE grid modification.  I never used my TABOO with 4 OHM speakers but I am sure it would work well.

The MINI TORII is not "hard" or "etched." These terms better describe most solid state gear. You roll the tubes because you can, not to avoid a bad sound. There may be a certain sound signature you are looking for. You can dial that in with the MINI TORII which allows and invites various combinations of input, output and voltage regulator tubes; all of which can influence the sound.

Your fears/concerns are understandable, but what you fear will not come to pass. Make the right decision for you and you will be pleased with the result.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print