Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:26:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What are your audio purchasing plans for 2011? (Read 18672 times)
JLM
Ex Member

What are your audio purchasing plans for 2011?
12/31/10 at 11:09:21

Happy New Year  :)

As the U.S. and world economies reportedly are slowly pulling out of this huge recession what are you thinking of buying in 2011?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What are your audio purchasing plans for 2011?
Reply #1 - 12/31/10 at 15:29:24

Happy new year!

Other than having my ZBOX repaired I have no plans for audio purchases this year. My system is just what and where I want it to be. But. . .you know how it goes. I'll probably be buying some items, it's just this sort of disease we have. . . .;)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 12/31/10 at 15:53:16

Hey Jeff, good to see you here again.....and Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the Decware forum.

Jeff, You didn't mention what you planned on purchasing this year.
I plan to buy some more test equipment and updating what I have right now.  Then on to a Mac Mini as a server for music, as well as other things.

Hope every one has a great New Year...
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/10 at 16:22:07

DM 945's . . . . Zen player . . . or Z Stage & Zen DAC.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/31/10 at 17:55:18

I bought my 2011 audio gear in Oct (speakers) and Nov (tube amp) of 2010. Embarrassed

Lin Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 12/31/10 at 21:39:47

Hey Riviera Ranch,

My experience makes me suggest. . . get the ZDAC1 and forget about the player unless you've a burning need to have iPod in your system. The ZDAC1 sounds fantastic. If you're using a CSP2 with your amp, it's my opinion you don't need a Zen Stage.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/10 at 23:16:04

Which brings me to the decision that must be made. My current player is a Njoe Tjoeb with the upsampler board. Would the Zen player sound any better?

Also, if I were to go for a Zen DAC, what should I use as a transport?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/01/11 at 01:20:31

Well, as regards the Decware player, I have not been impressed with mine, it has all the options.  I could never relax into the sound. It sits on a shelf in a closet.

I've used my Sony ES SACD player (SCD-XA5400ES) as a transport and it works really well.  I've used two Blu-Ray players, a Sony BDP-S2000ES and a Marantz BD7004 (bought for only 299) and they each work really well.  I've used a NAD T585 DVD/SACD player that works really well. The ZDAC-1 with the same cabling sounds pretty much the same with each, and hasn't presented any issues with any of the players as transport. If you don't sell your current player I'm sure you could use it successfully as a transport if it has digital outs . . . I'd be surprised if it didn't.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/01/11 at 23:32:42

Lon, perhaps you could offer your Decware player up to another member in the classified section.

Surely it is possible that someone else could get more out of your cast off Decware player than your closet shelf can.

Just a suggestion. I do know how difficult it can be to let go of gear that you already own, though.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #9 - 01/02/11 at 00:09:20

Remember also, there's lots of folks, myself included, who really like the Decware player.
Synergy is everything.
'Some like chocolate, some like vanilla'
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/02/11 at 21:27:26

Hi Bob,

After I figure out my taxes I hope to find something new to feed my babies (Bob Brines FTA-2000 speakers), maybe a Torii Mk III.  (Thanks again for letting me listen to your original Torii.)     Smiley

My next move (probably 2012) would be a new Mini Mac and DAC.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 01/03/11 at 15:29:00

Zen Torii Mk III

Von Schweikert VR33's
http://www.vonschweikert.com/

Ziggy's new speak's look intriguing too.

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/04/11 at 05:11:36

Bought four guitars (two acoustic, two electric) within a little more than the last month - does that count? Actually, they are for my son & wife, their first guitars. Individually they were not too much $$$ since beginner ones, and one was used, but do add up. I can not carry a tune, or keep a beat, etc., so that is why I play the tubes.

Plans for beginning of 2011, pay Zygi the rest for a sweet red pair of HR-ONEs he is holding for me. Otherwise, mainly exploring various styles of HQ music and enjoying it with the family.

Hope by the end of the year or 2012 to get an Onkyo ND-S1 and go mostly iPod as source. Maybe a Decware DAC some day, unless Steve starts building them into Onkyo or Wadia transports, then will have to reconsider.

-- Decware Torii #14 --
Speakers:Turning Point Audio HR-ONE's in Red
  IP Logged
drumsgreg
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 01/06/11 at 01:14:01

New speakers from Parker audio for me, maybe the 98 with the ribbon tweeter will work me.   I can do these in a kit and save some money. He has new cabinets for his speakers that look lot better than the towers. All of them will be bookshelves sizes. Update all my amps with v- caps and that should do it for me.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/06/11 at 10:59:20

A Graham 2.2 or Phantom 44

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #15 - 01/06/11 at 13:38:59

OK, w/o a single doubt, my HDT's have to go to make room for the new ZOB. I'll do my own cab. That new driver is absolutely incredible looking, and to get an OB single driver that  flat I thought impossible w/o losing the high sensitivity they're known for. Well done, Steve

Cheers all,                    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/07/11 at 14:30:50

A ZKIT1 for my Turning Point Audio Desktop speakers. First time trying to build a tube amp kit. I will post in the ZKIT1 forum my progress once it arrives. I'm sure this will lead to other Decware purchases for a pre-amp or ZDAC but got to start somewhere!

WWW   IP Logged
Jon

Reply #17 - 01/13/11 at 23:13:25

I'll probably be ordering up either a ZDAC1 or a ZP3 at some point this year.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 02/14/11 at 05:01:30

Acoustic Zen Adagio's

From a few accounts-should be able to drive with the Select.

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
slack
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 02/18/11 at 15:33:07

I have just gotten a pair of Beyer DT880 (600 Ohm) headphones.  I'm hoping to be able to get a CSP2+ to be the base of my office headphone rig.  (Hopefully it will light up my Grado SR225 as well.)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 02/18/11 at 18:41:58

Well the ZOB  with the new FRX(which I have ordered) will be a big purchase for me. I will be using 2 inch solid walnut for the baffles, but haven't decided on what material to use for the rest of it. Knowing how open the HDT speakers were that I built before, I am anxious to get that sound again, but even more so. Later on, I may be purchasing all new amps and preamp, but one thing at a time for now. Tongue

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 04/22/11 at 17:49:58

DD, It's a pain for me to mail etc. without a car. IF I had an offer I couldn't refuse. . . but I'm not likely to get one, all Decware people want to get something really cheap!

Actually I was saving the player in case I move to a bigger house in the near future and might need another system in a room. There's a chance my GF and I might do that. . . . Still, I've so many players that it won't really be needed (I have two others in the closet as well).

Anyway, maybe someday it will find a home.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 04/22/11 at 17:51:21

If  I were to make another Decware product purchase, it would probably be a ZSTAGE to use in my second, bedroom, system. If it had two inputs, I'd order it a lot faster.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/23/11 at 17:34:33

Fun topic. For Decware items:
Ultra Preamp (on order)
Mini Torii (on order)
Torii Amp (2) (waiting to order)
ERR (2 pr)

Non-Decware:
Cavalli Liquid Fire Headphone Amp (on order)

All this assumes this list doesn't get me sued for divorce!  ;)

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
GaryAR
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/24/11 at 03:36:09

I just picked up a used Audio-GD dac (very, very nice w/ the toslink input from my laptop) but will probably get a better digital source later this year. My amp, a Decware Zen Select w/ v-caps that I got a few months ago, won't be going anywhere for a long time, and my speakers (Bastanis Prometheus) will probably get some upgraded tweeters. None of that is necessary though because I'm really happy with the way my system is sounding now.

gary

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #25 - 05/06/11 at 02:14:12

I am not sure if 2011 will be my year to buy some equipment or just my year to sell some. Hoping to get far enough ahead by 2012 to start on the Tori amp I have been wanting for so long. I may actually get to take over one of our two bedrooms soon and make a listening room too!

Now if I can just decide on whether to pull the trigger on selling my HDTs and starting some new projects!

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print