Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:29:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
JBL P1022 10" as Deathbox driver..? (Read 13448 times)
BenM
Ex Member

JBL P1022 10" as Deathbox driver..?
12/02/10 at 00:14:38

Hi all,

I've just got a JBL P1022 10"

...Which looked great on paper:
96dB Sensitivity
Xmax 14mm,
Qts 0.55,
Fs 29Hz,
Cms 106.3 um/N,
Vas 20 litres

...but having unboxed it, the front of the cone stands quite proud of the mounting baffle (you can see from the pix). Does this mean the depth of the transmotional duct assembly in the Deathbox will need to be increased, to keep the volume of air between the cone and the duct's "mouth" the same?

Also; is there anything appreciable to be gained from bracing the corners of the resonant cavity behind the cone - or adding a strut between the magnet assembly and the end wall - once the enclosure volume has been tuned and finalised?

I'll be driving it from 2 bridged channels of the JBL-GTO-504e amp - so there's a reasonable amount of power and headroom both; I like bass but the emphasis is on quality rather than contest-winning SPL.
The target vehicle is a VW T5/28 SWB van with a minimal camper conversion, so there *should* be plenty of enclosing space to boost the low end without driving things into distortion.

Thanks,

-Ben.

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Re: JBL P1022 10" as Deathbox driver..?
Reply #1 - 12/02/10 at 00:15:30

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/08/10 at 13:41:38

I've re-read the plans and spotted my mistake - the driver is bolted to the outer face of the TM insert. Which means the jbl driver isn't a great choice; and in fact is just slightly too wide to fit inside the deathbox anyway.

Ach.

I'm scaling everything up by 10% or thereabouts and hoping for the best. I'll let you know how I get on.

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/11/10 at 23:25:35

For the benefit of anyone following on; most of my questions have already been answered here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1160529549

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/11/10 at 23:45:15

Talking to yourself much?

That is how it is here sometimes. Most of what is significant in audio has already been addressed and there is a search engine on the site to find what has already been exhausted.

Smiley

Glad to see another JBL nut.  LoL

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/12/10 at 14:53:49

@DirtDawg (And Steve) "Search" was the first thing I did (way before posting the question). I searched for p1022 (case insensitive, any poster, all boards, all posts).

The search returned no results... and if you search on p1022 in the forum at the moment, the original thread still doesn't show up - this thread is the only result.

On the other hand, if you google [ p1022 site:www.decware.com ], the old thread does show up - so the outside world is aware of it. The only way I found the old thread was trawling manually backwards through older forum posts.

It looks to me like the SQL resultset is being truncated somewhere, or the query itself is timing out and being discarded.

Searching for cs800x with the same criteria (a string unique to the old thread, acc. to a google for [ cs800x site:www.decware.com ]) also returns no results.

Also; I've noticed a few times that when I click on a linked URL in a forum post (including the link to the old thread below) sometimes the website won't resolve it - it tries to use a relative url:  
/www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1160529549
instead of an absolute one:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1160529549

Which returns the expected 404 error page. Something's broken behind the scenes. I'm passing this on as bug report now.

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/12/10 at 15:01:15

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?action=help#YaBBC_Reference

Wrt my last post, it looks like whatever automagic hyperlink parsing the  Yabb engine does is behaving unpredictably when faced with a simple (un tagged) URL in the body of the text.

IP Logged
BenM
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/12/10 at 16:16:20

The error's occurring again (when clicking the link to the old forum);

My memory of it was a little off; the actual text is:

An Error Has Occurred!

Error: Unable to open /www/decware/cgi-bin/yabb2/Boards/.txt
Verbose: No such file or directory

IP Logged
Pages: 1