05/05/24 at 03:07:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HT question (Read 3231 times)
cvictorg
Ex Member

HT question
11/08/10 at 03:15:40

If one wanted to use 2 pair of the Zen Open Baffle with a DM945 for the center channel what would you recommed for the power supply since one would need 5 channels of power.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: HT question
Reply #1 - 11/08/10 at 13:39:37

What I would do is buy 4 of the SE84C+. You con mono them, so I would have one monoed for the front left, front right, and center. The the fourth one I would leave stereo for the rear channels. So you would have about 6 watts going to the fronts and then 2 watts going to the back. I think that would look great. Or you could just buy all five and have each speaker on a amp. The final option is, if you like to build, buying 5 of the mono kits for each speaker.

John

IP Logged
cvictorg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/10 at 16:50:32

Can a low poered SS amp work with these speakers?  Can anyone recommend a low power 3 or more channel amp

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/08/10 at 19:53:30

Sure, you can use what ever sounds good to you. The first question is how much are you looking to spend? If you are on a tight budget, just get a good reciever and you are good to go. I see you mentioned low powered SS amp. Truthfully, don't worry about the power rating on the amps too much. You can use a higher power amp for lowered powered speakers. For normal playing levels you are probably only using 20-50 watts. By the time you get to the point of blowing the speakers up you will be deaf. The DM945 is rated at 100 watts max. I would think the open baffles would be the same. Most recievers rated at 120x5 really only supply half that to each speaker. If you want the tube sound stick with Decware, if you are looking for SS amps there are a lot of good ones out there. Just have to search the web to see what is out there. Some examples are; Passlabs, Parasound, Krell, Emotiva, and most of these I have not heard. Just throwing names out. You will probably have to listen to them to see if you like them.  

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print