Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 11:40:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery! (Read 32799 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery!
10/08/10 at 04:33:10

Well, as usual it was another happy accident, but I discovered a proprietary process to get your favorite vinyl LP's onto disk, play back the recording on a good DAC and have it sound almost EXACTLY like your listening to a record!

I've been pondering it for years.  Recently after getting our ZDAC-1 and ZCD200 digital front ends to sound as good as possible on redbook CD's (16/44) I began exploring 24/96 downloads... like so many of us have.   While the selection of downloads is highly limited, it is growing monthly.  However, my favorite music is the classic rock I grew up with in the 60's and 70's when everything was analog.  In my lifetime I've yet to ever buy a Rock CD that sounded even close to right compared to the LP's.  And, when searching for 24/96 downloads you better be heavy into classical music because there is scarcely any rock to be found.

My craving for my favorite rock recordings in 24/96 pushed me to do the obvious - figure out a way to transfer my LP's to 24/96 recordings and have it sound like vinyl.  (yea right).

I've heard numerous attempts, both amateur and professional to transfer vinyl to CD and 100% of the end results sounded like CD's.

By understanding what makes an LP have it's incredible musicality - a result of years of listening and designing phono stages, I have accidently discovered an all tube system that captures the signature perfectly and was frankly shocked at the results.  Until this week I would have said it's fundamentally impossible to make a CD sound like an LP, good DAC or not.

Thank God I was wrong, because I have now been enjoying the impossible to not get lost in sound of LP's from my music server in 24/96.  First thing I did is get the hardest vinyl junkie I know who's ear is beyond reproach and sat him down for a listen.  I put a record on the turntable, cued it up, and pressed play on my ITOUCH remote to activate the DAC which was hooked up without of course telling him.  He sank back in the couch and smiled.

I informed him it was a nothing special cartridge so don't expect the world, but it's light years better than listening to CD's which he immediately agreed.  Then I took his beer away so he wouldn't hit me with it, and spilled the beans...  It worked, I had fooled him.

So I'm seriously considering test marketing this service at around $5.00 per song or $35 per album (one long track) or $45 per album (individual tracks) in 24/96.  I'd like to see if the completely DIFFERENT sound of these recordings has the same effect on everyone else as it does me.  Should I be right, I'll be leasing space somewhere to handle the traffic.

I'll try to figure out a way to put up some samples here soon.

The Zen Fest must have stimulated the audio gods because this is clearly another gift.  You can always tell the gifts because they always come as accidents.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Re: Vinyl vs. CD - Huge discovery!
Reply #1 - 10/08/10 at 13:20:22

Hi Steve,

It seems you're into something really really big. Looking forward to listenning some samples. My opinion is that $5 per song/$45 per album is a bit excessive, taking into account that a normal record, "normally", can be found cheaper out there and at least you've got the physical disc plus artwork, cover, etc. Just my opinion.

I also guess you don't want to reveal us how the hell you get it. Grin  

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 10/08/10 at 14:54:25

We're comparing the price to other 24/96 digital downloads at 4.00 per song.  Which by the way are simply downloaded... zero work for the seller.

We have to receive your LP, unpack it, clean it, listen to it song by song while recording it, then burn the CD and send both back to you.    That's a lot for a mere dollar more per song.

At $35 per albumn (single long track) it is $5.00 cheaper than downloading a 24/96 CD, which is $40.00 on most high end sights.

Frankly this is just a starting point to test the market... and ourselves.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 10/08/10 at 15:43:13

Steve,

SO....why do these accidents happen right after I leave and have to wait an extraordinary amount of time to hear what you are talking about. In this case a year until next Decfest.....The audio Gods aren't working in my favor here.

Another thought, and not sure if this would be legal or not...For a fee of course, could you burn a sample of an album you are talking about and send it out to some of those whom might want to give it a try?   Tongue

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 10/09/10 at 21:22:35

You won't have to wait any longer than it takes to download a couple samples...  

I'll be posting them here soon.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 10/09/10 at 21:56:04

OK, I've come up with some samples, but first a bit more about them...

My goal was to capture the rich juicy sweet sound of classic rock from my youth before CD's ruined it.

The result is like time travel when you listen to it.   I want to hear the record with all it's imperfections and even a spot of dust or two.  I selected a table that was popular back then, a Thorens TD125 MKII so that I would get that subtle variation in speed (as well as the colorations from the table) because that is part of what we all grew up with.  The tone arm is reference grade and properly set up with the exception of having the VTA adjustment around 2% below grade to keep the stylus racked back.  This way the top end is smooth and anything but dry.

The cartridge is a MM Grado from about the middle of their line, again to capture the warmth we grew up with.  From this point forward I added it up today and I'm using $11,000 worth of all tube gear to get it into the AtoD converter with the correct dynamics and weight.

I've tested several formats and 24/96 is required for best results as well as several other things that I will list below:

The DAC is important.  The more oversampling the less these samples will sound like LP's.
Use the ZDAC-1 which is only 4 times oversampling and upsamples to 24/192.  It works extremely well.  Or use any Non-Oversampling DAC keeping in mind the better the DAC the better the results.

The AMP is important.  The more feedback, the less these samples will sound like the LP's.  Use tube amplifiers with little or no feedback.

If you're going to go to the trouble and expense to do this, it makes sense to get yourself set up for 24/96 playback.  The 16/44 (redbook CD) samples do not sound as good.

Since many who read this post will not have 24/96 playback ability, I am putting some samples on here in 16/44 in an AIFF format.  

I have two samples here.  The 1st is from the CD and the 2nd is from the LP using my process.  Compare the two back and forth and report back what you hear.

Miller CD sample https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/CDsample.aiff
Miller LP sample  https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/LPsample.aiff

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 10/09/10 at 22:12:35

Here are a few more short 16/44 samples from the LP.  No CD versions here for comparison, the first one above should have taken care of that.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/SteveMiller.aiff

https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/BozScaggs.aiff

And finally, when have you ever heard a Van Halen CD sound good?

https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/Van.aiff

It does now!

Enjoy,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 10/10/10 at 03:10:41

Quote:
Steve,

Saw your post and checked out the files, and was wondering if you've come up with some slick DSP sequence to pump up the sound like that?

Just a note about the proprietary process - as mentioned it is an all tube and transformer signal path between the cartridge and the ADC.  Once a bit for bit file is written to the hard drive which happens in real time as the record plays,  there is ZERO tampering with it.  Nowhere in the process is there any tone shaping, effects, Digital Signal Processing, compression, expansion or manipulation of any kind.  So what you're hearing is not a gimmick but the actual sound of an LP.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/10/10 at 15:58:52

I have ears of tin and even I can hear the difference on my PC.  The CD version sounds flat and 2D and the LP version sound big and deep.  

So, Steve, the first thing we need to do is provide the LP we want converted, right?  And this album must be as pristine as possible to avoid things like crackle and the kind of sounds you get from wear and tear, correct?

I am looking at a stack of LPs that haven't been touched in years and I'm wondering if any of these make proper candidates.

I guess finding a good LP for a source will probably be the tough part.

Now, where do I find a copy of Sweet's Desolation Blvd that would be worthy of such a transfer...hmmmmmmm.

IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #9 - 10/10/10 at 16:37:56

Well, it's extremely easy to notice the difference. It's better all the way. Although the CD sample version sounds relatively good, the first thing you notice on the LP version is more air, deeper soundstage and richer and warmer sound, but with the limits of that recording and imperfections said and intended to be so. Because of that we know it's way further from a fair comparison to taste the full potential of your proprietary process. To make a reference example my guess is to compare actual reference recordings in their respective CD & vinyl version without any imperfections from the LP, top grade cartridge, turntable, etc to bring top quality sound.

At first I thought the vinyl would be provided by you and then sold to everyone.  Instead, sending the vinyl and then returning back is a cost that maybe it's not worth it. Specially outside USA. Of course that depends on one's point of view.

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/10/10 at 17:22:24

It would seem that the Boston links are favoring Steve Miller ....thought maybe they were reversed, but the Boston sound links are the same, so not able to compare that album.  Guess there are extra opportunities to hear the steve miller band samples though...lol  

The Boz Scaggs sample seemed to be the best of the bunch...but that is simply related to the source quality of the LP recording.  I am using the Beyerdynamics DT 770 headphones with my laptop as the source for playback, not my audio system.

There is an obvious definition increase to depth and detail by the LP conversion standard, not only in lower frequencies, but in the seperation of the recorded material. What stands out the most is the amount of spacial properties that normally are missing from the digital compromise...that is what became immediately apparent to me.  This is nothing beyond what I am used to....without direct sample comparison on the system as I know, compared to my vinyl rig, it is non conclusive as to that direct correlation of course. I would not expect this to be on the same level as listening direct from my teres turntable using high quality LP's, but that is not the point.

The objective is bringing the digital standard up a few notches toward the LP counterpart.  With that in mind, it IS absolutely conclusive from this limited test set parameters that indeed, the improvement is much closer than previous situations concerning digital recordings.  It is enough to warrant the trouble of making the transfers from my obvious perspective.

I would only at this time measure that increase of fidelity toward standard run of the mill discs though.  I have a large selection of remastered digital recordings that although still digital in form....would not show this drastic level of improvement.  By keeping the focus on what it is....as shown here, this characterization shows worthwhile promise.  Just remember, no matter what we do....we can't turn sand into diamonds no matter how much pixie dust we sprinkle onto it....your ears will convince you of the outcome....interesting to say the least.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 10/10/10 at 18:05:24

Quote:
It would seem that the Boston links are favoring Steve Miller ....thought maybe they were reversed, but the Boston sound links are the same, so not able to compare that album.  Guess there are extra opportunities to hear the steve miller band samples though...lol

When I wrote: "Frankly this is just a starting point to test the market... and ourselves.  "
it's becoming obvious that hardest part to get right is going to be ... ourselves.

Steve  :-[

OK, I fixed it.  I removed the Boston LP and renamed the two samples.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 10/10/10 at 18:45:08

Regarding the LP quality, obviously the better condition the better the results, however, none of the samples I posted came from pristine records, in fact far from it.  

If the music is breathing I could care less if there are a few occasional pops and dust.  However if there is a scratch that shows up in more than one revolution, I skip the song.  My point is that slightly warn isn't a deal breaker and adds somewhat to the novelty.

This process is time consuming.  I find that myself, I just take the songs from each album that I really like vs. archiving the entire album.  Reason... I don't listen to them on the record so I probably won't listen to them on the archive.  So far I have done about a dozen of my classic rock albums, just a couple songs from each.  It ends up being about an hour compilation of some of the best sounding music ever...  and that seems to justify the time spent.

If I take it to the next step (accepting albums from customers) I'll have instructions that will include:

Sometimes we will reject your submission because of the quality of the LP.  

If we have to do a deep clean on your LP there will be an additional fee of $5.00

We'll create a form where you can write the name of the LP and what tracks you want from side A and side B.  

There will be a checkbox releasing us of any liability regarding possible damage to the LP and an option for insuring the LP (and CD or DVD that accompanies it) during return shipping.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
MoNelly
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/11/10 at 07:08:27

Hi Steve,

Any chance you could post a few 24/96 samples for those of us that have 24/96 playback capability?

This sounds very promising!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 10/11/10 at 15:35:39

Hi MoNelly,

Welcome to the forums!  I'll see what I can do about adding a 24/96 sample soon.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/11/10 at 18:41:29

This shows that a recording of a record can sound better than a rip of the CD.

It doesn't show your method to be better than any other way of doing it.

How about the same songs simply recorded as .wav through the sound cards input from the phono stage for comparison.  

John C.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 10/11/10 at 22:55:54

John,

That would be a good comparison.  The process aka recipe is everything used between the tonearm and the ADC.  If I use my phono stage direct to computer input we still have 50% of my recipe in tact so it's not going to be a good comparison if I do it.

Perhaps you or someone else could do it so we have a potentially more striking comparison.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/11/10 at 23:21:39

I'm going to disqualify myself.

I have considerable live recording experience, and I also have your phono stage.

John C.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #18 - 10/12/10 at 01:50:09

I have 2 copies of the Steve Miller song in my collection, one was ripped from CD and the other digitized from an LP using Audacity freeware, a 43 year old Garrard turn table (that listed for $75) with a newer $35 cartridge, a Dynaco Pat4 solid state preamp, and a Soundblaster Live sound card.  Both are in MP3 format.  I used Audacity again to edit the MP3 files down to the right part of the song, then exported them in WAV format (so the damage done by an MP3 format is a part of these files even though the edited samples are in WAV format).

I do not know how to (or rather where to) upload the files, but can email them to someone who could post them, or could follow directions as to how to get them posted.  They are worth listening to and comparing.

Dan

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/12/10 at 04:15:29

Most free sites won't allow posting of mp3.  

www.imagecabin.com however will, and there is no need to register.  

John C.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #20 - 10/12/10 at 21:21:10

I tried image cabin...I get an error every time I try and upload a file (8 mB).  The modem indicates the file transfered, but imagecabin comes back with error 6.  Going 1 step further, I opened an account...when I log in, all I get is a blank page.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #21 - 10/12/10 at 23:53:12

If push comes to shove, you can always copy the wavs to a CD an mail it to me.  I don't think my e-mail will take that large of an attachment.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/13/10 at 02:51:39

Cut it down to 8 meg.  You don't need to post the whole song, 10-15 seconds sould be enough.

John C.  

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/13/10 at 14:24:41

If you want email me the file and I could get it over to Decware, I live 15 minutes away. Just PM me and I will get you my email.

John

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 10/13/10 at 15:10:19

I am all for this! Here is why:

I buy vinyl from Acoustic Sounds at $30 each. However, I own a lot of vinyl from garage sales in very good condition (my parents garage sale and bring me vinyl all the time-some gems that make your day!).

A lot of it not available through Acoustic Sounds or the Elusive Disc. For example, I found a prestine copy of James Taylor, Dad Loves his Work. I absolutely love every song on this Album. However, each time I play it - I know wear and tear continues on this non-180 gram copy! Sending it to Steve to have this great involving sound properly done on Disc seems to be the way to go! Once again, I own a lot of vinyl you can't get through above mentioned....I want it on these Discs from Steve at a competitve price-which he is providing!

Furthermore, The JT record I would want whole, but take Gary Wrights Dream Weaver which I have a killer copy of....as suggested he would just burn the selections I want....Dream Weaver, Love is Alive & Can't Find the Judge. The LP is mind blowing the regular CD sucks! I have to have it done Steve's way!  'nough said!

Stone of Tone
PS-my Turntable runs in top shape-I live 15 mins from the Needle Doctor in Minneapolis and bring my Table in for Counter Top Service when needed.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #25 - 10/14/10 at 15:10:17

I mailed a CD to Steve today.  Two WAV files plus all the pictures we took at Decfest 2010.

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 10/19/10 at 00:16:25

OK, as per request, here is a very short 24/96 sample from the group called Level 42.  The LP was 45 RPM.  A cleaner record, higher RPMS, and the higher bit rate should make this sample sound significantly better than the previous 16/44 samples.

level42sample.aiff

https://www.decware.com/newsite/music/level42sample.aiff

Enjoy,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 10/23/10 at 08:56:55

Played the CDsample, LPsampe & BozScaggs aiff's from 2nd Gen Nano iPod on nothing special Yamaha 5.1 amp, generic 16 gauge wire to decent speakers, and oh my what incredible warmth and fullness with the way Steve is crafting these files! Talking to Steve yesterday on the phone he said whenever something they are working even makes crap equipment sound good they know they are onto something.
Also listened to some HDtracks.com 96kHz/24 bit songs from their free sampler and to me they are not the same. Have that digital edge on them.
I really like playlists and ease of use to change songs, etc, with my iPods so really look forward to what Steve can work out with this process. And yes, I'm working on upgrading my system.

-- Decware Torii #14 --
Speakers:Turning Point Audio HR-ONE's in Red
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #28 - 10/30/10 at 03:41:43

Anyone tried the 24/96 sample yet?

WWW   IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #29 - 10/30/10 at 19:59:22

Well, In my opinion I think there're pros and cons here. The sound, as always, is deeper, more relaxed and analog, and the spacial information is the strong skill that outperforms the digital version by far.
However, the sample is very noisy and distorted.

"A cleaner record"

Mmm.. Ironically the previous samples seem to be cleaner and clearer in sound, and that is what I hear.

PD: The sample belong to the song "Weave Your Spell". I know about this band very very little, but I listened to their almost entire discography more or less time ago and, coincidently, I remember this was clearly my favourite song above all others by far.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 10/31/10 at 03:37:43

Indeed, these are test runs.  I'm not cleaning the records nor getting the perfect levels during the recording.  If I continue with this, I'll be cleaning the LPs and selecting ones that are in only great condition.  Be using the Teres table, and doing it over as many times as needed to hit the levels perfect.  No compression, normalization or anything is done, it's just a direct dump.  Makes getting the levels right a trial and error process for each song.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
dla405j

Reply #31 - 10/31/10 at 04:54:39

I'm interested in this because I'd like to take the best of my vinyl and put it on computer but am willing to only have the best selections and quality available for my computer(s)/harddrive.  I listened to these selections  and also had heard a few in Steve's listening room as I waited to pickup some equipment. I like what I heard.  I hope that there's enough interest for this to work as a Decware option.  Eventually I would like to have an all digital/computer system with tube/analog sound and this seems to be the best way to go... If Steve (Decware) follows through with this I know it will be done right and at a reasonable cost.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/22/10 at 13:41:09

i can clearly hear improvement on the steve miller samples, even on the horrible headphones i have here right now.your process steve seems to get me deeper into the music without extra volume being required and delivers a much richer tone, i wonder if the engineers compressed the miller recording when they put it on cd? thats what it sounds like to me, like the mainstream cd is compressed, thin and recessed, whereas your new digital recording is open, full and thick.

id really like to buy a cd from you, put 8 great classic rock songs on a cd and ill give ya $40 for it.

Cool

IP Logged
brashgordon
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/30/11 at 10:02:50

I have a tremendous interest in seeing this priject evolve. I would have many of my old favorites from the 60's and 70's, evne Mobile fidelity and 12' pressings that I can't afford to maintain a T/T for $3k+ for the occasional listen. I'm old, health won't be improving...but quality of listening could if this genome explodes.  I'll help light the fuse... and I used to share my records, so I would certainly allow someone else to listen to them, and it's not really hi-jacking the material, just running it through a process to improve the performance level...Heck, I'll send Bonham's , Entwistle's, and Marley's widows a buck or two ...  no woman no cry, eh?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Mx-6
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 04/01/11 at 02:51:33

I just saw this thread and noticed a great difference in the sound. One thing in particular is that the steve miller song sounds like the channels are flipped in comparing my mp3 to the file of the beginning of fly like an eagle. I'm currently downloading a vinyl and another cd torrent of the greatest hits to see if the quality can compare at all.

I agree that the vinyl versions seem to sound completely different and even on my average system I use with my PC the edginess is gone from the music. I didn't realize how much the cd takes away from the music. I've always thought that my speakers were doing that, lol.

IP Logged
Ricardus
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 07/23/11 at 03:51:12

I just did some listening in my mastering studio with some ribbon nearfields and played the Steve Miller AIFF files about a dozen times each.  Then I opened them up in an editor. The LP sample was more compressed and louder with more distortion in the upper frequencies. The CD version was quieter and less compressed. Not really a fair comparison in general if you ask me.

I would be curious to know what year the CD sample was from. It sounds like a very early mastering to me due to all of the dynamic range left in the sample (something not done in most modern re-masterings).

At the end of the day, I preferred the CD clip. The upper end distortion (a kind of sibilance in the higher frequencies) was enough to turn me off of the LP version.

And to be honest, unless this was a double blind test where the participants didn't KNOW which sample they were hearing (ie "the lowly CD version" VS. the "LP VERSION WITH 10,000 DOLLARS OF TUBE GEAR" in the signal path) the results are worthless.

The discovery of this thread was an accident. What brought me to your site was your tube amplifiers. I have heard great things and hope to buy one, one day soon.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/23/11 at 15:03:28

Welcome Ricardus!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Ricardus