05/05/24 at 07:40:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Going vinyl (Read 3512 times)
Boomer
Ex Member

Going vinyl
10/01/10 at 20:36:22

Just unwrapped my first turntable: a brand new Technics 1210. I want to pair it with a Denon DL-103 cartridge and Decware phono stage and transformer. The problem is that right now I can only afford the cartridge. But I'm dying to listen to the thing! Do I:

A. Get the used Grado PH-1 phono stage at my local hifi shop ($300, it has a hi gain mode but from what I can tell the DL-103 should still have a step up transformer, which I won't have)

B. Get an economy MM cartridge and something like a Cambridge 64p phono stage ($300 for both combined)

Which would sound better and would either sound a LOT better than good CDs played on a 15 year old Marantz CD-80?

I have a Mini Torii and a pair of 94db Cabasse Skiff 301s

Thanks!

IP Logged
Boomer
Ex Member

Re: Going vinyl
Reply #1 - 10/06/10 at 21:10:39

OK, don't everybody answer at once!  :) (I get it, you were all a zenfest). So I couldn't wait. I went out and got the little Grado phono stage and an Ortofon 2M blue (because that's what they had in stock).  

And for the very first time I heard the full potential of my Mini Torii. I am just blown away. Listening to Louis Armstring & Duke Ellington the Great Reunion on 200 gram vinyl is a revelation. The presence is just unbelievable. To paraphrase Charlton Heston, you can have my Mini Torii when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #2 - 10/07/10 at 03:37:44

Boomer,

Congradulations on your first turntable!  I really prefer vinyl to cd myself.  

I didn't see your first post, but I probably wouldn't have replied anyway because of my limited experience with various cartridges and/or phono stages.  The only cartridge type that I have used is MM (I currently use a Goldring 1042) along with the Decware ZP3 phone stage feeding my Torrii MKII.  I am extremely happy with the setup.  As my cartridge is getting a lot of miles on it, I have been considering what cartridge to get next (if I decide to move away from the Goldring).  I have been favoring the Ortofon 2M Black, so I will look forward to hearing anything additional you may offer on the 2M Blue as it breaks in.

Have fun with the new rig.

bill

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 10/09/10 at 23:05:19

Quote:
you can have my Mini Torii when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Big grin...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print