Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:21:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Decware Suggestions... (Read 5380 times)
dxp100
Ex Member

Need Decware Suggestions...
08/30/10 at 02:48:01

Hi all,

I'm a musician who does not speak electronica but I do have golden ears. I'm rather new to the whole SET thing; it's simplicity and purity really interests me.

I currently have a Emotiva solid state system that doesn't move me. It's not a bad system but the sound is too "in yo' face" for me. My favorite amp to this day was an old Dynaco ST-70 that was high maintenance but sang like a bird. It crapped out on me years ago.

I not a DIY type. I have a med-large listening room (poured concrete basement...the "man cave"). I listen at moderate (sometime moderate-high) sound levels. I seek musicality above anything else. I wanna stay with a SET amp.

I listen to vinyl and CD. I have a Emotiva preamp but do I really need it??? Is the sound purer without a preamp on Decware SET amps? How do I get vinyl playback on the Decware SET amps? Do I have to purchase a phono-stage?

I'm looking for a SET amp(s) and speakers that mate like rabbits. Any Decware product suggestions? Price range is <4k. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Need Decware Suggestions...
Reply #1 - 08/30/10 at 07:13:30

Hi,
Yes you will need a phonograph amp into your main amp. Preamps with CD players are optional so far as functioning is concerned, but some Decware amps sound better with one, while other models don't need it.  
I will defer to listeners with more experience to answer more specifically.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/30/10 at 12:33:35

When you say SET, you are limiting yourself to the Zen, Select and the Zen Triode Integrated. The TABOO, Mini Torii and Torii are SEP.

The TABOO will need a preamp to bring it to its full potential. You may prefer using one with the Zen products as well.  

If you mean what you say, (limiting yourself to SET) then the Zen Triode Integrated ought to allow you all the volume you need with any of the DECWARE speakers, in particular the ERR's or MG944's. The Zen Phono Stage would serve you well.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 18:20:49

I think what he meant by SET is lower power amps that run efficient speakers. I do have a suggestion for you. I fell in love with the combo of the Zen Mini TORII Amplifier with the ERR's. Truthfully all of the Decware amps sound good. But this combo had magic for me. The only other thing you would need is a phono preamp to run your vinal which would be the Zen Triode Phono Stage. One of these days when I have my own room/office this is the combo I want to go with. Also to let you know I run the Emotiva XPA-1s right now and their Pre. I like it but I am also running very inefficinet speakers (maggies) and needed the power. I think its all about the amp/speaker combo. I also have the two Decware SE84CS amps running some Full range home made speakers and some Bottlehead amps doing the same. If you have a chance to go to Zen fest I would. There you can listen to all of their stuff and see what you like.

John

IP Logged
dxp100
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/30/10 at 20:12:46

"I think what he meant by SET is lower power amps that run efficient speakers".

Yep, that's what I meant by SET.  

The ERR's look interesting but kinda radical. Radical scares me....Any further insights into the ERR's sound.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions thus far.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 08/30/10 at 22:47:10

I can whole heartedly agree with John. The Mini Torii and ERR's will suck you right into the music. It is one heck of a synergistic set up.

dxp100...They may look radical but they're not really, just an inverted cone. The ERR's sound neutral with a large sound stage and a very large sweet spot. The imaging is precise at the same time being large. All the instrument are very focused, with great separation between instruments/vocals.

We have had only one pair come back for warranty driver replacement. And what happened to that driver can never happen again. And this dates back to the first pairs of RL-1's dating back to 2001. A pretty good track record, if I do say so my self.

Hope this helps,
zygi    

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/31/10 at 01:15:46

I use a Mini Tori with MG944 speakers and it fills my every need. I use primarily CD, some vinyl and occasional FM stereo. The unit does not need a preamplifier, in fact I tried my CSP2 with the Mini and it got in the way.

There are so many tube combinations possible with it that you can really explore which sounds best to you. Or you can just run it with 6V6 tubes and it will sound great. The volume is there as well.

One reason I opted for the MG's instead of one of the radials was that they were at time time bargain priced. Now that they are priced near the ERR's you might want to decide which design you would better like. I am not familiar with the radials but many here are. I know that with the MG944's you would not be disappointed. They do not need a subwoofer.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print