Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 08:25:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrading Heaphone setup (Read 4766 times)
slack
Verified Member

Upgrading Heaphone setup
08/04/10 at 19:02:33

Greetings,

I'm looking at upgrading my headphone setup I use in the office. Currently, I've got a Logitech Squeezebox as my sole source, connected via a pair of Blue Jeans Cable RCA cables to an Arcam A65+. I prefer to use my Grado SR60 cans, but I swap them out occasionally for the more comfortable Senn HD565s I have, although they sound a little veiled to me. (Truth be told, I do have a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 speakers hooked up to the amp. Don't use them much as my office just sucks for speakers and I like to be somewhat nice to my suite mates.)

I listen to classical: choral works, orchestra, pipe organ (lots of Bach), and choral stuff accompanied by organ. Toss in some opera as well.

What am I thinking about changing? I'm looking at getting a set of AKG K702s. If luck and finances favor, I'm also thinking about getting a real headphone amp, specifically the Decware CSP2+.

Would you folks have any suggestions or advice with that setup?  Does the CSP2 perform well with pipe organ music?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Upgrading Heaphone setup
Reply #1 - 08/05/10 at 02:31:14

I believe it will perform well with all kinds of music. If you change your headphones and headphone amp you will undoubtedly experience a better, not just different sound.

I on the other hand have gone the other way with office listening. I have a traditional closed door office type setting and I have speakers in there. I am located on the other end and the two offices on either side of me are vacant.

I hope whatever changes you make prove enjoyable, and ultimately,  rewarding.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 08/05/10 at 02:49:56

The CSP2+ performs very well with pipe organ music.  A good pair of closed back headphones like the Beyer 770 Pro 250 ohm model with the coiled cord let you feel the base in your bones, down to 10Hz or less.  Consider a pair of DSR 1.0 cables after everything has burned in and see how they compare to the Blue Jeans..

And, welcome to the forums!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #3 - 08/05/10 at 15:16:57

I think the perfect choice is to buy the 600 ohms version of a Beyerdynamic model. I think the 600 ohms models are difficult to find and you have to purchase them on their official website. It's supposed to be the perfect match for the CSP2 since it is an OTL unit. The background noise is reduced as well, but the CSP2 is quite quiet anyway.

Cheers.

IP Logged
slack
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/10 at 15:41:24

A lot of my internet research has lead me to believe the AKGs are more to my taste.  But, of course, organ performances aren't your typical "classical" music.  I've always been pulled by brittish speakers (use Monitor Audio RS6s at home) for the quality of the mids.

Sounds like its time for a trip down to the big A/V store where I never buy anything, but borrow and listen quite a bit.  I'll see if I can audition a pair of Beyers.

Also, I'll admit that I've not had a tube amp of any type before.  So I'm looking forward to new experiances.

IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #5 - 08/05/10 at 17:43:29

Yes, AKG 702/701 is perfect for classical & jazz, great soundstage and detail. Also consider the Sennheiser HD600 ( 300 ohms ), one of the most neutral cans, great for your taste. I have a pair.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print