Send Topic Print
Cayin vs. SE34.1 (Read 10858 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Cayin vs. SE34.1
07/25/10 at 01:09:55

Due to a recent sale, I have good memory of the differences between the amp I sold(Cayin A70T), and the SE34.1 Decware amp I bought on Audiogon(of course, just as soon as I bought this amp. a Tori came for sale with about the same price!).Now, I'll tell you that I have owned Decware equipment before, i.e. a pair of SV83S mono blocks, and CSP2 preamp. But because it became neccesary to make things easier for my wife to use, I opted for the Cayin. I was almost immediatly disappointed because the Decware was heads and shoulders better than the Cayin. Detail was so much clearer, and dynamics were right. I kept the Cayin for about 18 months, and preferred to run it in 'ultralinear' mode most of the time.
 For what it's worth, I found out that despite that the A70T had a rectifier tube mounted  right up front, it was rectified by a diode bridge! Yah, you could pull the tube, and the amp kept runnin'. I felt a little cheated, and found no answer for that deception Angry
 Then another thing happened. The amp just stopped working....no reason, so , I found that there was a bad power connection in the iec connector.
 As far as the sound, it was always on my mind how much better the Decware products sounded. The A70t did have good control of the bass though
 I will leave you with this. I am going to perform the Hazen mod on this amp., and I have already replaced all Beldon cable with upgraded wire. The amp already beats the pants off the Cayin in every sense but raw power, so I can't wait to see what more it can do when the mods are completed. Will know that by the end of next week.

cheers, Greg Cool

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Cayin vs. SE34.1
Reply #1 - 07/26/10 at 00:15:41

The Integrated is a wonderful amp.  I'm glad you have this!  The mod will probably be a great change. My Integrated doesn't have it.

You know I'm glad you posted your impressions about the Cayin. On the Steve Hoffman board I keep seeing people glowing and oohing over the Cayin, the Jolida, all kinds of Chinese amps, and rather medium price solid state, etc. When I suggest Decware I feel they roll their eyes and turn away.  But I've not heard any amps that deliver the way that Decware does. But a Marantz or a NAD or a Jolida etc. get all kinds of praise and talk. . . and I think to myself "if only these people could hear the real deal."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 01:17:36

So true Lon,  and yet, you have to admit that some of the amps. like the Cayin look rich, sophisticated.[i][i]get one today...but the reality for me is honesty,and clarity/openess. The Decware is an easy choice for me to stick with.[/i][/i]

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 07/26/10 at 03:16:01

Yes, a lot of folks buy with their eyes, and insist on paying as much or more for far inferior sound.
I agree that auditioning a Decware amp &c. would be mind altering for the above.

Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 11/13/11 at 22:48:12

I had to reply to this too. I just don't get it and it baffles me? I guess were music LISTENERS and the other folks are jewelry (audio) buyers.
As long as it makes noise and my neighbor down the street reads Audio Magazines and he recommended it!  The bass just rocks man!
Cayin forever!   Grin
Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified