Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 01:31:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the Forum + Amp thoughts (Read 7818 times)
Jon

New to the Forum + Amp thoughts
05/31/10 at 02:45:33

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to hifi audio as well.  I am getting ready to purchase and amp from Steve and was wanting to get some second opinions from anyone and everyone.  

I am slowly in the process of upgrading to better sounding gear and have been really impressed with Steve's line of products.

I currently only listen to vinyl...rock, classical, jazz.  Here is what I currently have for gear: Rega P3-24 TT, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II phono stage, Harmon Kardon Stereo Reciever, and Mirage FRx-5 speakers and all components are connected to a Balanced Power Technologies CPC.

I am looking at getting the SE84C+ or the SE84ZS.  I realize that my speakers may not get very loud with this amp (not sure on their efficiency rating) but looking into getting a pair of Parker 95 or 98 Signatures or a pair of the Decware MG944, NFX or HDT's later on down the line.  I also would like to get the ZP3 at some point in the future to replace the Phonomena II.

My main question is which amp would you go with between the SE84C+ or SE84ZS?  

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jon

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New to the Forum + Amp thoughts
Reply #1 - 05/31/10 at 12:49:01

Welcome Jon!

If you're listening to vinyl, I think you can pull off the ZS, which might be a bit too "non-forgiving" for most digital sound. I think with the vinyl you'll appreciate the extra delicacy and detail the ZS will bring.

Either amp will be a great centerpiece for your system-to-come. There is a great feel to the type of system you plan.  I eventually felt constricted and didn't play loud, complex music on that system as it didn't seem 100% right to me then with Radial speakers and I went to the Monoblocks, Integrated and Torii amps in order to have the headroom I really wanted (especially as I was able to move my system out into the living room from a listening room).  If you do like to really rock out or to have full-bodied crescendos in a large space, the larger amps have the magic, and deliver up huge sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jon

Reply #2 - 05/31/10 at 15:35:17

Thanks Lon,

I've been going back and forth over the past few weeks as to which amp to get.  I've read through the forums several times and couldn't find much on this topic.  I was leaning towards the ZS.  

I was also hoping to hear that vinyl was a good match with the ZS as well since I have a much larger collection of quality vinyl than CD's.  As for speakers down the line...I really like the Parker 98 signatures (2-ohm 96db), NFX and HDT's.  I figured that I really could not go wrong with the ZS or C+ with any of these since they are all 96db or greater.

Jon

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/31/10 at 17:35:21

I think your thinking is sound! Smiley  I got side-tracked by the Radials which I got before even considering any of the others. The original RL1 SOLD me on the design, and I love my RL2a (now in the bedroom, such luxury) and IT Radials.

I know you'll have fun discovering the amp. The ZS will transform your system! Once you have a handle on that, new speakers will allow you to really hear down deep!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jon

Reply #4 - 06/01/10 at 17:14:56

Thanks for the insight yesterday Lon!  

I put in an order for the ZS yesterday afternoon and am waiting anxiously for its arrival!!  Now it's time to figure out what speakers I want and how soon (once the bank account fattens up again) I can get them!

Jon

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/01/10 at 17:19:13

Congrats!

Welcome to the club!

You'll even lose a few pounds because your wallet will be empty for a while! Smiley

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #6 - 06/01/10 at 22:39:36

Welcome to the forum Jon!

Glad to see that you made a decision on an amp.  I own a Torri MKII and have never heard any of the other amps, but I don't think that you could have gone wrong with any amp that you may have decided on.

Like you, I listen primarily to vinyl.  Besides the Torri, my analoge system consists of a MusicHall MMF5.1 TT with Goldring 1042 cartridge, ZP3 phono stage, and HDT speakers.  Although I am not as musically descriptive as most on this forum, I would be happy to share any thoughts that you may have on the ZP3 or HDT's, or anything related to vinyl as far as that goes.

Later.

bill

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #7 - 06/02/10 at 01:49:59

Thanks Bill!

I have been reading a lot of the information here on the Decware site and forum ever since I purchased my TT and phono stage last summer.  One of my current jobs just gave me a raise (hard to come by in this economy today) and I have some extra cash available to finally get some excellent sounding gear.  

My next purchase will most likely be speakers (I am also going to be buying all new cables; most likely from Signal Cable).  My goal is to find the best speaker to match to the SE84ZS in the $1000-$1500 (which needs to include stands if I get a pair of monitors).  I am currently talking with Dave at Parker Audio about the 98 Signatures.  He has informed my that he is changing the design to a monitor speaker vs floor standing.  I am currently waiting on dimensions of the new cabinets.  I like these because they are high efficiency (96db) and will be able to pull all the power the ZS has to offer with their 2-ohm load.

I am completely open to suggestions.  My budget is relatively small...compared to some in the hifi world.  I have been interested in the NFX, HDT and MG944 speakers.  

What are your thoughts on the HDT's?  
What are your impressions of the ZP3?
In your experience, what's the best (cheapest) way to clean your vinyl without getting in to the expensive machine cleaners?

The HDT's are a little more than I want to spend as I want to get the ZP3 sooner rather than later.  

I am convinced (based on Steve's design notes, philosophies, and peoples' comments here on the forums) that no matter what I get from Decware it will be the best equipment.

Jon

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #8 - 06/04/10 at 02:03:14

Jon,

Congradulations on your raise.  I am retired (military), so extra dollars are hard to come by for me these days.  Not complaining mind you, I have it a LOT better than a Lot of people in this economy.

Anyway, on to your questions.  The first is my impression of the HDT's.  I origianlly ordered the HDT's to go with the system I had at the time, figuring at some point in the future that I would get into SET amps.  I was using PSB toweres at that time, but they were not very efficient and I really wanted to try single driver full range speakers.  I also wanted to stay with towers because I wanted the speakers at my listening height without having to put the speakers on stands.  Shortly after ordering the HDT's, Steve offered up the Torrii MKII at a bargain price, so I ordered that along with the ZP3.  I got them all at about the same time.  First impression of the speakers was their weight and build.  Extremely well built and good looking speakers.  They came well packaged with no damage.  Once I MUSCLED the speakers into my listeing room and got them hooked up (I also use Signal Cables and interconnects), I powered up.  I don't remember what music I had on the TT at the time, but I was AMAZED at what I was hearing.  As I recall, it was some orchestral piece because I was hearing something that I hadn't noted (from the listening session earlier in the day) prior.  Turned out that I was hearing sheet music being turned.  As Steve mentions in his remarks on the speakers, they will bring out everything that your system has to offer (good or bad).  I was also very pleased with the frequecy response.  The bass wasn't quite as deep as with the PSB speakers, but the quality of the bass was much better.  I had problems with bass colorations in the past, and I had installed room treatments to help alleviate some of it (helped but didn't solve).  In simpleist terms, I couldn't tell where kick drum ended and bass guitar picked up - they all sort of blended together.  With the HDT's, I could now hear the different instruments as being distint from each other.  The speakers sounded great from the gitgo, but they are just plain sweet now.  I should also mention that the high frequencies were just beautiful.  Absolutely no graininess what so ever.  The only thing negative that I would mention is that they take a bit of positioning to get the best in soundstaging, but almost every speaker needs to be properly positioned to match the listening room and habits of each individual.  You CAN'T go wrong with these speakers if your budget allows.

I am also very pleased with the ZP3.  My only phnono stage before the ZP3 were solidstate circuit boards installed in my Rogue Cronus integrated amp, and the same for my Rega Mira 3 (also solid state), so I really can't compare it to other tubed stages.  Mine does have an inherent hum, but it is very negiliagable and I can't hear it from my listening position.  I have changed tubes (EH tubes for the inputs, and I replaced the other 2 tubes with NOS tubes).  The only reason that I would consider a different phono stage is if I was going to be using MC cartridges (which I am not).  I THINK that some other stages with more flexibility might be preferable to buying one of three options available from Decware for the MC cartridges.

If you arn't cleaning your vinyl with some sort of machine right now, definatly plan on getting one sooner rather than later.  I was just using a wet brush up until a year and a half ago.  Like you, I just wasn't sure that I wanted to go through the expense of a machine.  I finally decided on a GEM record cleaner (I think that Sleeve City has them, and a link to a review by 6Moons.com).  Anyway, it is completely manual cleaning using your sink and faucet to clean the records.  I was AMAZED at just how much better my records sounded, not only playing much quieter, but playing with MUCH more detail than I was used to.  Just like with the HDT speakers, I was hearing new things in the music that I had never heard before.  The only thing that I didn't like about the GEM system is that you have to dry with a lint free towel and let air dry for a bit.  I finally purchased a VPI 16.5 machine this past winter have never looked back.  I can really scrub dirty records, or just do a quick go-over, and be playing the vinyl in literally minutes.  

Hope this helps.  Let me know if I an answer anything else for you.

bill

IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #9 - 06/04/10 at 03:12:51

Jon,

Just wanted to give you a link to the Gem Dandy Record Washing Apparatus in case you were interested.  You can find the product at Sleeve City (sleevetown.com).  When reading the description under vinyl cleaning, there is a link to the 6moons review.  For lesser cost, and probably just as good cleaning, you could also try the new Spin Clean Record Washer.  I know that Needle Doctor (needledoctor.com) has these available.  I am pretty sure that Music Direct and others also has the Spin Clean available.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, IF you think that you can afford the purchase of a semi automatic machine like VPI or Nitty Gritty, you will find the convience definatly worth it.  Any of these products that I mentioned  will make a HUGE difference in your play back at any rate.

bill

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #10 - 06/04/10 at 16:49:37

Thanks for the information Bill!  I will look into those cleaning methods.  I have also been looking at Mapleshade's record cleaning package which is of some interest as well.  Seems totally different from the other machine type of cleaners.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print