Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 08:35:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I recreate late night listening in the day? (Read 5747 times)
Evo
Ex Member

How do I recreate late night listening in the day?
05/23/10 at 10:52:51

My system sounds A LOT better during the evening than during the day. I could think of two major factors, 1) background noise, 2) noisier powersupply during the day.

I was think that room treatment/soundproofing might help with 1) and some sort of power conditioner might help with 2). The problem with power conditioners are that they seem really expensive (as much or more than my whole system).

Any ideas/tips on how to improvement my daytime sound quality, preferably at affordable prices, much appreciated. What have people tried? Did it help much?

Thanks

Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: How do I recreate late night listening in the day?
Reply #1 - 05/23/10 at 13:50:18

I've been using isolation transformers from Tripplite (one for digital, a larger one for the analog components) and PS Audio "Duet" power strips.  Has controlled the power supply problems and made consistent sound day or night. I had been using a PS Audio Power Plant previously but it died. . . . I haven't ever had it repaired, I might try that one day but so far haven't. The sound I have now is comparable, for a bit less total price.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 05/23/10 at 16:10:09

Matt,

Like Lon mentioned, using an ISO transformer like the Tripp Lite IS1000 which you can buy from Parts Express (125-130) for 274.86 will get you almost there on its own, power wise. Room treatment will be an additional major step in the right direction. Both together will elevate your night time listening, to levels you never thought you could achieve.

The third thing, you didn't mention, and I think a big part of of great night time listening vs day time not so good listening is MOOD. Late night you are more relaxed and just melt into the music, while daytime there are other things on your mind that distract you from getting into the music like you do at night. If your life is anything like mine, very busy, 54 years old with a very active 3 1/2 year old running around. There is no free time to break away during the day. Even if I find some time, I'm usually thinking about something I wanted to do when I had the time, that isn't being done because I'm listening.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/23/10 at 18:27:21

Powervar  is what i use and it works great and are affordable.

Powervar  awesome AC line conditioning for your sensitive electronics. The Medical and Point of Sale industries have been using these for years, and within the last handful of years these EXACT SAME units have been snatched up on the used market by Audiophile nuts left and right, and being used for protection for their high end audio and video gear.

The Powervars rely on a massive toroid and a very simple design to deliver the best in line conditioning. Not only do they offer superior protection from noise and spikes from the AC line, in some cases this clean power has resulted in a noticeable improvement in the overall audio-visual “experience”. Because of this simple design, with no fans to cool internal electronics, these Powervars run forever, baring direct lightning strikes.

IP Logged
Evo
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/10 at 12:45:37

Thanks guys. Quite a few ideas to look into.

Zygi man - have you been spying on me? I've got two HYPER boys both under three who I ahve to admit do interfere with listening a bit (read constatnyl shouting, climbing all over me, trying to get their naughty fingers all over my hi-fi gear) Grin Not a lot I can do about them though!

Cheers

Matt

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 05/25/10 at 00:19:44

Matt,

No I haven't been spying on you, I think there are more than just the two of us in the same situation Wink

Ella stays away from the system, except when she wants to hear a different amp she just switches speaker wires, I forget sometimes and can't figure out why I have no sound. Thank God for Decware amps, you just can't hurt one. She does come in and sit and listen with me, a lot really, but it usually ends up with her getting me up and wanting to dance. Thank God no one else can see that!!!

At two she could name every part in a speaker crossover which is pretty cool in my book....

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Evo
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/05/10 at 22:59:39

Well I have got myself an isolation transformer to start and clearly makes a big difference. I was pretty sceptical about the 'dirty' mains power affecting sound theories - sounded like another way to sell more products to perfectionistic audiophiles, but no can clearly hear a difference. It makes the most difference during the day, but also helps a bit at night.

I have just managed to snag some secondhand studio sound proofing on ebay which I am going to use for absorbers. Combined with some Decware diffusion (which I still have to build!) things should start looking in good shape in the not too distant future.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/05/10 at 23:13:50

YAY!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print