03/29/24 at 09:57:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PT leads Question (Read 4467 times)
Hank
Verified Member

PT leads Question
05/19/10 at 16:59:00

Sorry for the newbie questions.  I'm assembling the kit on a wood board about mounting and wiring the power transformer.

1) What is done with any leads that are not used?
2) Do I connect the chassis ground solder point on the PCB to the earth ground on the EIC socket?
3)  Which leads on the transformer go to the EIC socket for 110VAC service?
4) Pictures don't show it, but should all AC leads on the OPT's and PT be twisted?

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: PT leads Question
Reply #1 - 05/20/10 at 00:00:20

1) What is done with any leads that are not used? - just tape them up so they can't short to anything.  Should have 4 no connect wires: yellow, yellow, yellow with black stripe, and blue

2) Do I connect the chassis ground solder point on the PCB to the earth ground on the EIC socket? - yes

3)  Which leads on the transformer go to the EIC socket for 110VAC service? - connect white and black wires to the "hot" (fused) lug and connect brown and black with white stripe wires to the "neutral" lug.

4) Pictures don't show it, but should all AC leads on the OPT's and PT be twisted? - it wouldn't hurt anything and might look better, but whether it will make any sonic difference is debatable.

Good luck, and be sure to read thru the "hum problem" thread if your Zkit1 doesn't know the words (hums).

Dan

IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Re: PT leads Question
Reply #2 - 05/20/10 at 15:07:21

Hi, Dan

I asked the question about twisting the leads because I don't want to shorten the wires.

I read over the hum thread.  I took note of the drawing Steve presented on the chassis ground.  I will be using the analog inputs mounted on the PCB, so they will be grounded.  Same with the volume pot.

I already have a class A PP amp, with " open framework" on a board without any hum issues.  But I've read SET's have more issues with hum than PP configurations.

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print