Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 18:22:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question of response (Read 5445 times)
IMP
Ex Member

A question of response
05/08/10 at 12:00:27

Hi,

I've posted this in the ERR forum but it could equally have been posted under any of the other speaker sections.

All the speaker details quote a frequency response figure, in the case of the ERR's this is      32Hz ~ 22kHz.

Surely this is meaningless without the +/- dB range ie if it was +/- 1dB it would be pretty amazing if it was +/- 12db it would be pretty rubbish.

Can someone enlighten me as to the dB range and does it apply to ALL speakers?

Also does the nominal impedance quoted conform to      
the IEC standard for rating loudspeakers (ie does not fall below 80% of nominal)

Many thanks

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: A question of response
Reply #1 - 05/08/10 at 12:19:35

The response is +/- 3dB and this is standard for all speakers.  Speakers are measured in an anechoic chamber with no reflections.

The nominal impedance is the impedance at each frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz averaged.  Since the nominal impedance of a speaker might be said to be 8 ohms, yet a peak at resonance of 60 ohms, I don't see how it can be 80%.  This is also true of all loudspeakers.

WWW   IP Logged
IMP
Ex Member

Re: A question of response
Reply #2 - 05/08/10 at 14:04:59

Thanks Steve I agree that all speakers should publish response at +/-3db.

Sadly there are many (far too many) who use +/-6db, presumably they do this because there +/-3 figures would not look anywhere near as impressive.

With regard to the nominal impedance I an not qualified to debate this, but my understanding is that the 80% is just a way of saying what the minimum is ie so perhaps the simpler question is; what is the minimum for the ERR's

Many thanks

ps Any idea on the current lead time for ERR's, mine is the most recent order shown  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print