Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:37:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with AMP choice... (Read 22765 times)
OulyJr
Ex Member

Help with AMP choice...
04/10/10 at 22:45:03

Chris from Cobourg, Ontario.  Happy ERR owner and long time lurker making the jump into posting with a big long post…

I’m frustrated with my current amp and am thinking about purchasing one of Steve’s amp’s.  I’ve read Steve's overview on how to decide on one of his AMP's but still have the impossibly open ended question and would like to get people’s opinions regardless.

My goal with my original system was to take advantage of the 80/20 rule and get a decent system without completely breaking the bank.  My system currently includes the:
- Decware ERR’s with Decware cables.
- Project XPression III, with upgraded cartridge and their speed control.
- Oppo BDP 83,
- Logitech Duet via Cambridge Audio DAC (Recordings on 2 Gig redundant drive predominately in Flac)
- I’ve got a Project Headphone amp with a pair of Senneiser headphones only off my digital source.
- My AMP was a Jolida 302A with upgraded tubes.

Listening Room:
Old home with plaster walls and ceiling, 22 ft by 14 ft with the speakers 6 feet apart about a foot out on the 22 ft wall.  9 foot ceiling. Frankly, I’ve got big time echo issues with the room, but that’s another post.

I listen to a wide range of music which I like to think as ever changing.  I grew up with classic rock but love jazz, folk, and blues equally.  What I have found with my current system is that good recordings sound great, while poor recordings (more than expected) sound awful.  I tend not to blast it much I do like to know that I can.

I’m terrible at describing sound but what I like about the ERR’s is with the right recordings I’ve felt the whole “sound stage” thing comes through.  I also like the choice of streamed, OPPO, or vinyl depending on my mood and therefore would like at least two inputs:  one digital and one analog.  One other thing - I’m in a friendly competition with my brother so it’s got to have some “in your face I’m better than you” appeal as well.  Shallow, I know, but it is what it is.

Okay, here’s the question, given my system, given an upper bound on $ being that I just want the best sound for a reasonable buck, which one of Steve’s AMP’s would you suggest?  I am drawn in by the whole SET amp thing but I got to say I do like the Torii III?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Help with AMP choice...
Reply #1 - 04/10/10 at 23:32:07

Ouly,

If you've been reading the board, you probably know what I am likely to say.

I think the Torii is what you need. You need the power for the ease and the drive. You'll get almost all of the sound of the smaller amps. It's almost as forgiving as the Integrated. I think the Integrated would disappoint you in time by not having enough power.

If you really want to make the bad recordings sound a little less bad Smiley you should if you can add a ZBox. The ZBox really DOES help along those lines.  And Decware interconnects and power cords will complement that speaker wire really well.

May I ask:  Have you moved the ERRs further out from the wall?  Since discovering the Decware line and the sound-staging and imaging that they will bring I have not had speakers that close to the wall, I've pulled them out at least two and a half feet from every boundary, and the sound opens up considerably.  I can understand how sometimes a room setup precludes that, but I'd try it and see if I could arrange it. . . .

Welcome and keep on posting!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #2 - 04/11/10 at 01:19:20

Ouly,

I have to concur with Lon.  I own the Torri MKII and am completley blown away with it.  I had ordered the HDT speakers last year with getting into SET at some point in the future my primary goal.  Then Steve offered up the MKII's at a bargain price in preps for introducing the MKIII.  I had been considereing the MKII a little up to that point, and just couldn't pass up the offer.  Although I still havn't heard a SET amp, I do not believe that I am missing anything with the Torri.  I like the extra power available (I do like to crank it up occassionly, but I have never had to use any more than a third of the available power as indicated by the volume control setting).  I only had the turntable and CD player to tie into the Torri, so the two inputs were all I needed.  

I can't speak as to speaker placement with the ERR's, but like Lon, the closest point to the walls of my HDT speakers is about 3 foot from side walls and about 5 feet from the back wall (wall behind speaker).  I love the imaging, but I do often wonder if my soundstage could be improved upon by the ERR's.  I aslo needed some wall treatments, and will add my comments to your post regarding the room treatment question once posted.

Good luck with your decision.

bill

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/11/10 at 03:19:49

I had a Jolida 302B amp and liked it very much. Only now I like the DECWARE amps better.

I would recommend either a Mini Torii or a Taboo with a CSP2 headphone/preamp.

The Mini Torii is an SEP unit, while the Torii MK III is a push pull. Both have a treble reduction circuit that helps take the glare out of digital recordings. There are so many more tube combinations possible with the Mini Torii. The Mini has has 2 inputs also. The Mini is $1,495.00 and the MK III is $1,000.00 more. You can use the money you save buying a Mini and put it on a DECWARE phono preamp.

The TABOO is also SEP. You could buy a TABOO and CSP2 for about $200.00 more than a Mini Torii. The advantage the TORII has is that you can play around with its LUCID MODE the CSP2 lights it up and gives it a lot of added weight and authority.  

What are you using for a phono preamp? You might consider DECWARE'S phono preamp. For a couple hundred dollars more than the MK III you could get a TABOO, CSP2 and PHONO PREAMP. You wouldn't have to listen to cans through your computer any more. The CSP has 2 inputs as well.

I think the TORII MK III is good for driving inefficient speaks to insane levels but you already have super efficient speakers, so you don't need all that OOMPH for your little listening room. I could understand if you had a newer house with super high ceilings (like I have in the main part of my house) but all that power is just not necessary. I used my TABOO and MINI TORII with 89db bookshelf speakers and both did fine with them.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/11/10 at 13:28:46

Personally I think 22 x 14 is NOT a little listening room and that the Mini-Torii is likely to run out of steam. That's my estimation.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 04/11/10 at 14:27:49

Ouly

If you can handle a soldering iron, get a Zkit1 and see if you like it.  If it does the trick for you, you've saved all kinds of money.  If you don't like it, sell it and the whole experience should not cost more than a couple hundred bucks.  This will at least tell you whether SET is the way to go or not.  If you like the Zkit1 but it just doesn't seem like "enough", sell it and move up to a mini-torri or the Mark III.

Dan

IP Logged
OulyJr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/11/10 at 18:38:13

Thanks everyone.  The Torii was probably my first choice and I think you've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

I do pull the speakers out from the wall from time to time but my wife keeps pushing them back in.  It's like our own little exercise routine.  

Now all I have to do is figure out how to explain the need for a new amp to her.

Thanks again.
Chris.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/10 at 21:46:54

Ouly, I took advantage of the same deal that Steve offered on the discontinued MkII and had already bought a kit to build the HDTs. I love it! Your wife will too. Mine received the news as a Christmas present home entertainment center with new HDTV and way cool sound system. The furniture/sound/TV and redecorated living room was a big hit. I cant imagine yours not going over big especially if you make special for her. Its kinda like buying her a new table saw if you know what I mean.......    mike

IP Logged
OulyJr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/11/10 at 22:53:39

I already used that approach to get my original amp.  She's on to that trick.  I tried to attach a picture for the hell of it.  Hope it shows up.  Not the best set up but I like it.  I wasn't done finishing the room yet.

stereo.jpg
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/14/10 at 17:15:12

Nice looking system, OulyJr.  May I suggest some houseplants?  They make for excellent living diffusors, and have a very high WAF.  My layout is similar to yours, except I have a veritable forest of plants in the room, which I refer to as the 'Jungle Diffusor'.  Works great.

I'm using two bridged SE84's in a similarly sized room.  Using them for the mids and highs w/ subs, though, so I get more milage from them than I would if run full range.  It certainly gets plenty loud.  

ToriiIII would more than suffice, and from what I've read (haven't heard them personally), Steve's preferences for imaging and a subjectively 'fast' sounding amp carries through to his pp designs, so you won't miss too much of that SET magic.  The other suggestions may leave you wanting on those occasions when you just need to crank it.  

IP Logged
OulyJr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/16/10 at 18:46:23

I just placed my order for the MK3!

Thanks again.
Chris.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/18/10 at 00:11:56

CONGRATS Chris!

IP Logged
nsj
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/20/10 at 01:34:47

Chris,

Lon and Bill are absolutely right. The Torii will blow you away. These 2 guys helped me make the same decision back in December and I have not been disappointed!

Neil

IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Question...
Reply #13 - 09/14/10 at 15:02:56

Chris, I'm curious as to how the MK3 and Decware ERRs sound?  Was there a substantial improvement over your previous amp?  And, I also use a logitech server how does this sound with your system?

I've been considering the ERR's but with so few reviews it's hard to get a handle how good these speakers are.  I desire more bass than my current setup without the addition of subs..

Thanks for any info.  -Ross

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #14 - 09/14/10 at 19:26:02

Ross,

I don't think bass would be an issue, as I have none, and I do like my bass. I haven' used a sub in at least 5 years and haven't even given it any thought.

In Doug from Illinois review,  a long time Ohm user, kind of tells it all with out saying it. Ohm's do have a bit more bass than the ERR's. At least at first listen they do. With the extra bass the Ohm's do present, they lack the articulation the ERR's bring to the table. Even for movies, I would swear I have subs. Not enough to shake the house, but enough to make you take notice.

I haven't heard the ERR's with the Torii-MK-III. I do know the Mini Torii sure makes them rock and the bass is  good, real good with this little amp and Zenstyx driving the ERR's. The Zenstyx made a huge improvement to both the bass and detail without ill effect anywhere else.  I will be hearing the ERR's with the Mk-III for the first time at Decfest in a few weeks. I will report back after the fest.

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 09/14/10 at 20:20:27

Zygi,

Thanks for the response.  Your using the mini Tori and feel the bass is excellent with only 6 watts of power?  The specs say the ERR's go to to 32Hz but that's probably room dependent.  Would the MK3 take the ERR's even lower?

You mention movies.  My system is for all audio (Music, TV, And DVD/Blu-Ray)  If you listen to movies too how do you controll volume?  

I've never used tubes and one concern I have is volume not being remote controlled especially for TV and Movies.  I do not see anywhere in the forum where anyone addresses this issue.  My wife would simply have a fit.. :~) This probably sounds like I'm lazy or silly, on a tube forum, but it is something I must deal with.  

I did read Dougs review and he seems pleased with his ERR's.  

Please let me know what you think of the ERR's at the Decfest with the MK3's.

Thanks,  -Ross

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/14/10 at 20:56:19

Ross, I've never heard ERRs, yet, but I have the IT Radials, and the MK III, and it's the best amp/speaker combination I've ever had.  I think the MK III would be a great pairing for almost any speaker around.  If your room allows, you'll have bass.  As Zygi mentions, the ZenStyx (like the Decware interconnects) really help with clarity and extension and an integrated swift bass.

As for volume control, I listen to cd, digital cable TV, and DVD/Blu-Ray all using the MK III and IT Radials. I have two sources coming into the MK III (cd/SACD into one input, the ZDAC-1 feeding output from the DVD/Blu-Ray and DVR into the other input) and do not use a remote to adjust volume. I control volume on the MK III. Works very well for me. . . . If this won't work for you and your wife, you would have to use a preamp or processor front end with remote volume attenuation.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #17 - 09/14/10 at 23:10:05

Ross,

Mine too is for all audio.....tubes for serious listening and a SS receiver for TV/movies. I have two sets of cables running to the speakers Zenstyx for tubes and my old cables for the SS rig. I leave the old wire hooked up when not in use by the tubes, this way when the wife goes into the listening room to watch something I don't want to watch she has control over the volume.

My main reason for having the SS amp in the first place is for speaker break in, this saves on my tubes. It just so happens that it works great for the wife and her remote volume control, trust me I know where you are coming from!

No The MK-III will not make the speakers go any lower.  The 32Hrtz is the 3dB down point on the speakers themselves, in room response, with boundary reinforcement could be a little lower, but again its very room dependent.

I sure will let you know my thoughts on the ERR and MK-III combination. If you showed up for Decfest, you could hear it for yorself Roll Eyes

zygi    

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/14/10 at 23:34:57

Thanks Lon and Zygi

Lon, you have a really nice system..  

I'm curious.  You said that your IT Radials and the MKIII are the best speakers you've ever heard.  What have you compared them to?  I assume the ERR's are even better?

I would have to have volume controll via a remote so I would require a preamp.  If I do that would I leave the volume on the MKIII or Mini Tori on full volume?  

I'm also wondering about tube life never having owned tubes.  Zygi says he uses a SS amp for TV and movies but I would prefer to just keep it simple and use the tubes for everything.  How long can you expect them to last running them say 10 hours daily?  

I was never inclined to go a tube amp and wondering if I'm going to far with this.. Seems there's a more potential for problems with tubes.  I desire a warmer more organic presentation, than what I have, and feel the ERR's have the potential to fill the room better (holographic) for movies and music than anything I've looked at.  I only want a two channel system and no subs..

I would love to come to the decfest but I live on the oregon coast and that would be a serious trip.  My wife does not share my enthusiasm for Audio.

Thanks for the responses.  -Ross

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 09/15/10 at 01:06:00

I haven't heard the ERRs but I would not assume that they are better, they're going to be similar with some differences to their cousins, the IT Radials (these are a design that Zygi manufactures for sale outside of Decware, beautiful and vibrant speakers, very similar to the ERRs but also incorporating a front firing woofer.)

I've compared Radial RL1s,Radial RL2s, Bose 10.3s, Bose 4.6, B&O and Marantz speakers over the years using Decware Revision A, Select, Integrated, SE34 Monoblocks, Torii MK II and Torii MK III, as well as Proton, B&O, and Peachtree Audio amplfiers.  And I like the IT Radials and MK III combo the best. The MK III is great amplification and makes all the speakers I've connected sing. I'm so convinced of the quality of this pairing that the only comparison I want to make is the MK III with the ERRs, I will have a set one day (in the near future?).

As for tube life, I wouldn't worry about it. You can reap years and years with rectifier and input tubes, and a year or two with power tubes.  There are inexpensive current production tubes that work very well with Decware components. Tubes and re-tubing shouldn't be a concern realistically, you can afford to retube, it won't break your bank.

It's regrettable that you have to insist on a remote. I think these Decware amps and speakers do very well without an added component like an amp or processor ahead of them, and I haven't ever tried a solid state preamp that didn't hold the Decware amps back in some way (I'm sure they're out there, but I bet they're very expensive). At least with the MK III you have two inputs and you could run your music source through one without a preamp in between.  You could experiment with the volume on the amp when using a preamp, probably get interesting results at amp volume between 2/3 and full volume. You get the chance to add a little compression or not.

IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/15/10 at 14:26:44

Thanks Lon for the great reply..

Sounds like the MK III is probably the best pairing for the ERR's.  The mini Tori also seems like it does a acceptable job and would draw less amps plus have fewer tubes to replace in the long run..

Remote volume control is, I agree, not the best setup as it would put another device in the chain but I've remained married for 40 yeas because I've made some compromises..  

A wise old saying:

"A happy life is a happy wife"

If I go with the radials I will audition them first with my Ayre AX-7e.  It is a wonderful small integrated amp designed by Charles Hansen.

Thanks, Ross

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 09/15/10 at 18:03:35

They'll likely sound great with the Ayre. . . . But I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the Torii trounces it. Smiley

I had a happy life with a happy wife, and NO REMOTE VOLUME. Was I just lucky for a while, or what? Wink (I'm a widower now, with a wonderful girlfriend and again still no remote).

IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/15/10 at 20:10:10

Sorry to hear about your loss Lon...

Thanks for all you're information it's incredibly helpful when making audiophile decisions to hear what users have and feel about their systems.

Thanks, -Ross

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 09/15/10 at 20:22:10

You're welcome.  You're in for a treat with the ERRs.  I think I'll be listening to radial speakers from Decware and Bob for the rest of my life.

IP Logged
nsj
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/15/10 at 21:29:36

Ross,

I have to concur with Zygi on the ERR's. I like a lot of bass and the ERR's combined with my Torii MK 2 do NOT fail to please me. I have my speakers positioned about 2 feet out from the wall ( as far as my wife will allow). It seems that the further they are located away from the wall, the more bass response there is...

nsj

IP Logged
Irish
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/15/10 at 23:22:39

I was looking at Steve's power recommendations for the ERRs because I was thinking about a pair.

2 watts in tiny rooms, 4 watts in small rooms, 6 to 12 watts in large rooms and 25 watts when you want to show off in any size room.

I have what I guess would be considered a small room at 13' x 13' x 9' and a 4 1/2 wpc SET amp, so I assume that would work...???

I'm up in Chicago and hope I can make it to the Fest with my amp.

T.J.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 09/15/10 at 23:27:13

Hopefully you can bring your amp, that is the easiest way to get a handle on the sound of the speakers with the amp.  Then there's the room to consider, and program material. . . . If you want symphonic levels for Beethoven, or Whiskey A Go Go levels for The Doors, well. . . you may wish you had more "headroom". . . . If you have more quiet intentions I think you'd be "okay" (but I would suspect in the future you'd get the restless "hmmmm. . . I wonder"s. . . . .

But talking to Steve, especially with the amp at Decware, is your best resource.  Just my two centavos.

IP Logged
Irish
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/15/10 at 23:48:39

Well, what about Beethoven at The Whisky A Go Go Levels...??? :^)

I do have a really broad based music collection, so I am sure it would work okay with a lot of stuff, but you are right, if I did go with the ERR, I would eventually want to look at something with more power.

Thanks Lon.

T.J.

IP Logged
OulyJr
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/16/10 at 18:46:01

I realized I was negligent in providing feedback on my own thread.  

In a nutshell I am very happy with the MK3.  I couldn’t do a back to back listen against the Jolida because I got rid of it before I received my MK3.  To my ear I would say it’s a very natural clean sound.  I tend to compete with my brothers on our stereo systems and they were all impressed by the MK3 with the ERR’s.  

In the thread above people questioned the bass.  I’m terrible with describing sound but my take would be if you mean bass as in an reproducing the sound of a bass instrument then I think it’s top notch.  When showing off the system I sometimes use Bella Fleck’s Sinister Minister which is pretty heavy on the bass and as I said everyone seems to be impressed.  I do use it as a home theater system but my goal of putting the system together was 100% for music.  The MK3 with the ERR's aren't the sort of system that will rattle your fillings while watching sci-fi movies but that wasn't my goal.

I love my little squeezebox Duet as well.  I like the remote with volume control and the ability to shuffle and do playlists.  For day to day listening I use the squeezebox.  I use my Oppo less and less but I still like to have it for other formats.  If I’m feeling really groovy I tend to pass over the Oppo and turn to vinyl.  Sqeezebox, Oppo, vinyl - all 3 sever a purpose and I’m happy to have the choice.

One last intangible thing that I didn’t count on.  Compared to the Jolida, I “feel” the build quality in the MK3.  It gives me a comfortable feeling that I just didn’t get with the Jolida.  With the Jolida I was blowing tubes, a set of inputs stopped working, always biasing and re-biasing.  When I turn on my system now it makes me happy whereas before I was always fiddling around with things and afraid of the next issue.

IP Logged
Ross101
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/16/10 at 22:48:50

Oulyjr.

Thanks so much for your response.  The ERR's are such a interesting speaker and combined with the MK3 is seems like a awesome system.  I'm envious.. :~)  

I use a Logitech Transporter but thinking of getting different dac so may go to something like the duet or the touch by logitech for streaming music and my ripped archive.

Thanks, -Ross

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print