05/04/24 at 23:45:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zkit2 or se84c+?? (Read 4510 times)
MattS77
Ex Member

Zkit2 or se84c+??
03/30/10 at 22:19:24

Hello.  New to SET amps and this forum.  I recently built a set of speakers, BVR aka ChiliChang using the Fostex FE167e drivers (94db sens. and 8ohm).  I'm looking for an improvement over my old Marantz 2270.  I see that there is a set of (2) Zkit2 on Audiogon and am split between buying these or a used SE84C+.  I'ver heard the SE84C+ is better for lower impedance speakers and 8ohm would be on the edge of that.  I've also heard that bridging the amps, like in the 2 ZKIT2's case, would provide more power and better ensure that I'd have enough power (based on my listening habits).  

So, what is the difference between these two?  Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks, its great to be a part of this forum
Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Zkit2 or se84c+??
Reply #1 - 03/30/10 at 22:31:39

A friend of mine used to have that Marantz machine and I had one from the same years but with a smaller output, and I have to say they sound quite nice.  I think you'll get a very similar sound from either of the Decware amps (and I'll qualify that in the next sentence) but with the dimensionality that Decware brings, and a bit more detail.   I don't have direct experience with either of the amps though, but do have experience with two other amps in that family that Steve made, a Select and the very basic Zen Amp #27 updated to a Rev. A.

You know your speakers and you know your listening habits and it may well be that a bridged pair of kit amps would serve you better than the C+?  Your gut answer to that question after you have enough info will probably be the right response.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 03/30/10 at 23:01:35

Matt

A Zkit2 is a single channel amp, 2 watt, single ended triode.  You can't bridge this amp with itself to get more power because its only 1 channel.  A pair of Zkit2's, for stereo, would have the advantage of having totally independent power supplies...a pair of mono blocks is what they are.  The SE84C+ would have a tube rectifier whereas the Zkit2's have a solid state rectifier.  The SE84C+ would be the same power output as a pair of zkit2's.  Which way to go?  If you are a do it yourselfer that likes to tweak things, probably the Zkit2's.  If you like classy good looking equipment and never want to see or know what's inside then go with the SE84C+.

Dan

IP Logged
MattS77
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/10 at 00:05:22

Thanks for your help!  From what I've read a SS rectifier is preferrable to a tube rectifier.  Wouldn't that be a plus for the ZKIT2?  Also would it be better to have two power transformers for the two monos or just one power transformer for the both of them?  Thanks again!  Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/31/10 at 00:15:27

There are circuits where a solid state rectifier may be better, and some where tube rectification will be the clear choice.  Which is which is not as easily apparent or the same for everyone. . . .

Sorry about misguiding you about the kit amp's topology.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print