Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:38:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone have an optical digital cable they LOVE? (Read 4204 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Anyone have an optical digital cable they LOVE?
03/30/10 at 21:04:52

Anyone have a Toslink optical digital cable that they LOVE?

I'm willing to invest in a cable like that for the Zen DAC that I ordered yesterday. . . .

Tell me about it. Thanks.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Anyone have an optical digital cable they LOVE?
Reply #1 - 03/31/10 at 15:56:21

Come on. . . tell me about it.

I guess no one uses Toslink.

I'm trying this one:

http://www.cablesondemand.com/category/TLGLASS/URvars/Catalog/Library/InfoManage...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/10 at 21:56:02

Lon:

My Wadia has all 4 types of output.  

XLR, RCA, glass optical, and plastic optical.  

Of these, I prefer the XLR.  I like the plastic optical the least.

Now, this may be a function of the dac(Audio Note 3.1X) I'm using, and not inherent issue with the cable or connector type, I can't tell.

One of the advantages of optical is the total elimination of any ground loop from transport to dac, but thats not an issue for me.

John C.

IP Logged
Alan H
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/10 at 23:30:19

I liked the concept of Toslink - but it didn't sound good to me. Consistently the sound was slightly muffled and closed-in. Jitter? - who knows. A similarly priced solid silver cable sounded better in my system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/31/10 at 23:48:59

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I've never used any particularly GREAT Toslink cables, but I've never really been impressed either.

I'm buying Steve's new DAC and there's just one coaxial input and I want to use two sources, so I'm gonig to try one with Toslink. From what I've read the last few days people seem more excited with glass than plastic fiber optical material, and so I'm trying a glass one. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print