Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 21:55:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your SE84 or Select can drive ANY speaker!! (Read 3210 times)
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Your SE84 or Select can drive ANY speaker!!
02/12/10 at 19:10:44

Well, sort of.  Now this topic is old news, but bear with me or file this in the tweaker geek circular file.  Also, I've not tried this, but am very curious.

So Mr. Speltz has these 'Zero' autoformers ostensibly for allowing OTL amps to drive lower impedance (<16ohm) speakers, a la the autoformers which ultra low impedance esl/panel speakers use in order to be driven by a typical amp without an explosion.  While it appears he achieved  his goal for the most part, his product seems to be ideal for us se84/Select users who have otherwise incompatible speakers sitting around the house/basement/garage.  

Used as intended, any irregularities in any particular speaker's impedance are magnified.  One would think that while easing the load for the amp in question is a good thing, but the exaggerated impedance curve would yield greater deviations from flat response.  ??  

Now since this product would be used in reverse with the Decware amps (to lower impedance to optimum 2 ohm range), any variances in impedance are greatly reduced, which should yield flatter impedance, and presumably flatter, better response.  So while the Zero allows OTL amps to simply work, it seems that it truly could be a sound-enhancing tweak for the Zens.

If you are of the sort who prefers the stark purity of the SE84/Select amps over all others, and you have some old cherished 8 ohm speakers you just couldn't part with gathering dust, this little gizmo seems like it could make it happen.  (Or at least, let you get the most from the amp before running out of steam, precious little of it there is.)  

Read this old review and tell me I'm crazy:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/zero_autoformer_e.html

Thoughts?  Anybody tried this approach?

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Your SE84 or Select can drive ANY speaker!!
Reply #1 - 02/12/10 at 21:33:12

They're (relatively) expensive.
Perhaps bridging another amp would be a better solution.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Your SE84 or Select can drive ANY speaker!!
Reply #2 - 02/12/10 at 23:29:28

This costs more than the amp does.

Besides, you used to be able to get the SE84 with the 'red' OPT for 8 ohms as a special order.

John C.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print