Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:35:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on the MiniT OC2 Regulator Tube> (Read 9406 times)
ddemy
Verified Member

Question on the MiniT OC2 Regulator Tube>
02/09/10 at 03:51:10

Hello Steve, have a question on the OC2 regulator tube. I just received my MiniTorii (S/N# 026) last week and after set up & power up I observed that the left OC2 tube is almost twice as bright as the right OC2 tube. Wanted to know if this is normal(?) can the intensity be that different between the two(?), or,  is it an indication that the dim tube maybe is weak or possibly defective. I do not have access to a tube tester so I am at a loss to explain the difference. The left (bright) tube is labeled Raytheon 10499 (orange label) and the right (dim) tube has no clear brand markings but barley readable is labeled with 10499 (yellow color) .  If I flip-flop the tubes to opposite side of the amp the orange label Raytheon is always the brighter of the two regulator tubes. This observation is very consistent over the past 5 days.

Decware MiniTorii, s/n: 026 / Audio Nirvana 15" full range cast drivers, Wyatt-woodworking 5.6 cabinets / NAD525BEEE CDP / Fisher 100 B FM Tuner / MAC & Decware / BottleHead Crack OTL , Beyer DT880(600ohm) & DT770 (250 ohm) headpho....keeping it simple = Priceles
  IP Logged
juanitox
Ex Member

Re: Question on the MiniT OC2 Regulator Tube>
Reply #1 - 02/09/10 at 15:48:25

same effect with my mini torii regulator, but when i mesure the Output voltage it was the same voltage that s the only important thing Wink

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 02/09/10 at 17:38:34

Yes,  the OC2's in particular almost never match in brightness.  This is normal, and I understand visually distracting.  If you purchase a few extra OC2's you'll be likely to find a pair that are pretty close.  The brightness of the tube has ZERO to do with it's operation in this case.  It is simply differences in how the tube was made.

WWW   IP Logged
ddemy
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/09/10 at 20:31:50

Thanks Steve !... for your response and also to Juanitox for your personal observations on the OC2 tube.  This was exactly the answer I was hoping to hear, (or should I say expecting to hear), since sonically this amp is pretty much astounding, (my first impressions with less than 50 hours burn-in on the tubes). Also, Steve thanks for the link to the MiniTorii Operators Manual may have already sent you an email on that topic which you can probably ignore.   I’ve been smiling ever since I flipped the power toggles to the "ON" position………ddemy

Decware MiniTorii, s/n: 026 / Audio Nirvana 15" full range cast drivers, Wyatt-woodworking 5.6 cabinets / NAD525BEEE CDP / Fisher 100 B FM Tuner / MAC & Decware / BottleHead Crack OTL , Beyer DT880(600ohm) & DT770 (250 ohm) headpho....keeping it simple = Priceles
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 02:07:30

A guy on ebay is selling 1982 JAN Raytheon OC2 that are a beautiful bright orange. I am running a pair right now. They are cheap as spit and work well.

100823_004.JPG

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/28/11 at 03:15:06

I wonder where I could get a pair of nos high quality oc2 tubes... I am in Canada and my usual supplier does not carry them (the tubestore). I can't find any on Ebay either. Any suggestions? Would you have any for sale?
Thank you
Radu Christian Barca

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/28/11 at 14:10:09

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/0C2-Tube-New-Raytheon-Voltage-Regulator-Tubes-/120364806987#...

Seem similar to what RR was describing.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/29/11 at 04:29:47

thanks
I am looking into that.

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/29/11 at 20:49:46

Regarding oc2 tubes, Raytheons are quite common and a very good tube.  I suggest you experiment with 6x4 rectifier tubes. I have found quite a change in sound MT with rolling this particular tube.  If you are looking for more bass response, try a Tung Sol wavvy getter.

By the way, I am running RCA OD3s in my MT.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/30/11 at 16:17:24

I have bought Raytheons from that guy and they were fine. One died on me which I guess could happen. Order several pairs because eventually this guy will sell out.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Raduschka
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/01/11 at 04:06:05

I ordered a pair of 0c2 from Ebay, they are pretty cheap.

I also got myself a pair of black plate nos philips 6x4 and surprisingly the bottom end has gotten even tighter, and everything seems punchier, something the 0d3 regulator had already brought about to a certain degree. I have enough bass now, and everything is perfect. I have been comparing a pair of telefunken 12ax7 with Mullard 12at7 (both nos) and they sound pretty much the same. I had tried a pair of Cifte 12au7 and they were just too bright in my system. Monday I will receive 2 pairs of Duende Criatura tube rings, for the 12at7 and the 6v6 (jj 6v6 are larger than the usual 6v6) and I will keep you posted if yiu are interested!
Thanks

IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/11 at 02:52:54

Been playing around with the oc2 regulator switch. It seems the soundstage opens up quite a bit (though not as focused), while it is off. Anyone else find this to be true?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print