Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 20:25:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crackling and signal drop in the left channel (Read 11187 times)
michkhol
Ex Member

Crackling and signal drop in the left channel
12/31/09 at 17:05:45

Recently I started experiencing signal drops and crackling in the left channel. Usually it goes like this: I switch on the amplifier, after some seconds the right channel sound is ok, the left channel is almost dead with some low level crackling. Then I start to hear some low level music along with the crackling. While the amp is warming up the normal level comes and goes along with the loud crackling. When it is warmed up it is still unstable.

I switched each and every tube, all work perfect in the right channel and crackle in the left one. I even replaced the early Christmas mod caps with a different brand, but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Crackling and signal drop in the left channel
Reply #1 - 12/31/09 at 17:48:16

Michkhol,

I find working from the source to the amp works best, try switching the inputs from the DAC to the amp and see if it follows that. If not, at this point with what you have tried, a call to Steve would be in order.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help,

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
michkhol
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/31/09 at 18:20:06

Already tried that, same thing, same left channel. I write here just in case it is a known problem. Looks like a bad contact somewhere.

IP Logged
michkhol
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/10 at 17:05:06

Opened the amp, checked the joints, all was ok. Now it goes like this:

While the amp is still cold, the sound cuts through the crackling and its level is lower than in the other channel,  as the amp is warming up the sound becomes louder and crackling gradually disappears. The amp sounds ok when it is fully warmed up.

What could it be if it is not due to a faulty tube (all tubes I tried sound fine in the right channel and crackle in the left one)?

Steve?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 01/04/10 at 17:18:58

This problem has "volume control" written all over it.  I'd be very surprised if it was anything else.  Try rotating the volume control, does the crackling follow the rotation?  Try rotating the volume control back and forth a hundred times or so (probably with amp off).  After this, is it better?  Sometimes with the volume on full the resistance element is virtually bypassed...does it still crackle when the volume is set to full?  

If you find it is the volume control, they sometimes can be successfully cleaned if the phase of the moon is right and you are having a lucky day.  I've had more luck with WD-40 than with any other potentiometer cleaner.

Dan

IP Logged
drummerboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/24/10 at 13:05:34

So. what happened in the end? What was the problem?
I posted yesterdy about the right channel making a cracking sound and being dead...
Dave and I think its a dead el34 being jiggled too much on the plane to germany...
Greets

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print