Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Which amp to choose?
12/31/09 at 16:29:01

Quote:
Hello Mr. Deckert,

I am interested in getting a Taboo amp to drive a pair of Zu Druid speakers (101 dB/12 ohm).  Two questions.  First, will this pairing work without a pre-amp and a source voltage at 2V?  Second, can I get you to build it into a white metal chassis like the Zen Triode?  Thanks.
-Ben

Hi Ben,

The pairing would work, however the amp would sound a bit lean and the volume control on the amp would be at 3/4 vol just to hit your listening level.  A good preamp gives it weight and the ability to manipulate frequency balance by changing the ratio of  gain between the preamp and amp.  example,  recording sounds to heavy, turn down preamp, turn up amp.  recording sounds lean, turn up preamp, turn down amp.

I can't do it in the same steel chassis without doubling the build time.  I could do it in a white base to match the white top plate at no extra cost.

Quote:
Mr. Deckert,

I was just looking at the specs for the SE84C+ on your website and it states 2.3 watts into 4 ohms and 5 watts into 8 ohms.  I assume this is  backwards.  Could you confirm as I was thinking the SE84C+ would be suitable for my needs at 5 watts into 8 ohms, but maybe not at 2.3 watts into 8 ohms.  Thanks.

-Ben

Hi Ben,

The amp is 2.3 watts into 8 ohms, and about 3.2 watts into 4 ohms.  It can be bridged mono giving you a solid 6 watts.  The amp is stable into 2 ohm loads as well.  I usually recommend to buy a single amp and try it out on the 30 day trial.  That will put us on the same page with a common frame of reference should a second or different amplifier become more suitable.

My guess is that a single amp would surprise you with a lot more weight, speed and control than you would think is possible from such a small power rating.  

Also I can build the SE84C+ with the "EX" transformers that would target the power band of the amplifier towards higher impedances between 8 ~ 16 ohms.   Ideal for your Druids.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print