05/04/24 at 22:35:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sorry, have to share (Read 6329 times)
Lyndon
Ex Member

Sorry, have to share
12/02/09 at 21:27:45

Thanks for clicking.  I just finished two Decware kits, a Zen headphone amp kit and an SE84C kit.  I'm not new to kit-building, but this is my first experience with a true headphone amp, and it's my first SET amp also.  The solder joints are still warm, and the SE84C is handcuffed by a pair of 89db bookshelf speakers (Vienna Acoustic Hayden), but both amps still sound TREMENDOUS.  I'm blown away.  I can't wait to hear what they sound like with a few hours on them.

I'll post more detailed impressions a little later.  And don't worry, more efficient speakers are in the planning stages.

Pic in my next post...

IP Logged
Lyndon
Ex Member

Re: Sorry, have to share
Reply #1 - 12/02/09 at 21:30:10

Pic:

dec_amps.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/02/09 at 21:41:02

Congrats!  Nice looking work.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 12/02/09 at 23:13:35

Yes, well done!
The "industrial"(?) look is very nice!
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 12/03/09 at 00:55:14

Lyndon

Be sure that pin 6 of each output tube (shown as a n/c on the schematic) connects to pin 3 directly (normal) or through a .1 uf 400v capacitor (CCE mod).   Some output tubes have this connection internally and some don't (6p15p).  I think some boards have the connection (so it must be drilled to install the CCE mod) and some boards don't.  If you have a board w/o the connection and you are using 6p15p tubes you only get about 1/2 watt output before it starts to distort (but it sounds great up to that 1/2 watt).

Also check the forum Zkit1 support section if you are getting hum thats louder than you think it should be.

DanK

IP Logged
Lyndon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/03/09 at 04:58:59

Thanks for the comments guys!  "Industrial" hits it on the head.  Lean and mean.

I performed the CCE mod as you suggested dank.  The pcb came with a trace connecting pins 3 & 6 of the output tubes, so I cut it and soldered in a cap.  I thought about waiting to do the mod until I'd heard the unaltered amp, but finally decided to do it from the get-go.

I don't hear any hum, even right next to the speaker (my speakers aren't very sensitive though).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print