Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:12:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speakers for bedroom system. (Read 4818 times)
Sysygy
Ex Member

Speakers for bedroom system.
10/20/09 at 04:56:45

How would these speakers work for a bedroom system played at low levels.

I would also love a comparison of this speaker against the MG944. The MG944 seems like a lot more speaker for only additional $350 bucks.

Why do people purchase the DM944 over the MG944? Especially since the MG's are so beautiful.

These speakers will be matched with a Zen Select.

IP Logged
artyg
Ex Member

Re: Speakers for bedroom system.
Reply #1 - 10/23/09 at 18:19:47

I have the DM944 and I find it excellent at low levels in fact I would say that it excels! I have had may bookshelf speakers and have noted that you have to play them larger than life for them to sound really good.  This is not the case with the 944s.  Also they have more low level detail than any other speaker I have had.  Please note that these are the only Decware speakers that I have.

IP Logged
Sysygy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/24/09 at 02:38:47

Thanks for replying Arty.

IP Logged
Walter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/25/09 at 03:04:33

I have both the DM944 and MG944 speakers. Both sound excellent and are very solidly constructed. Bob always does great work.

The MG944 being bigger and also because of its design does bass better, but the reason I still got the DM944's is because I wanted something for a smaller, nearfield setup. I wanted a "bookself" sized speaker versus a larger speaker. The DM944's, however, unlike a lot of other bookself sized speakers use an 8" driver as opposed to say a more common 6" driver. And it looks like it uses the same ribbon tweeter as used on the MG944.

I'm attaching a picture of a small den setup I use them in. Note I'll driving them with a Zen Select which drives the DM944's very well, especially since they are 4 ohm speakers. I never crank them all the way up since they get plenty loud in my nearfield setup. They are fast and image very well. In that setup, I do also use Ed's Hornshope small cube bass augmenter.

The MG944's I use with the Torii MKII in a living room setup (though the MkII power isn't need for those speakers).

So I think the DM944 fills a niche where someone wants a great sounding speaker, but in a compact 'bookself' sized form factor.

IP Logged
Sysygy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/25/09 at 17:01:38

At this very moment I am leaning towards the MGs. They are very beautiful speakers and I won't need to buy stands for them. But I know that I should buy the best match for the Zen. Can the Zen handle the MGs as good or at least close enough to the Dms?

Thanks for your contribution, Walter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print